Old 11-03-2014, 04:35 PM   #113
3 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB International
Liberty Corner , New Jersey
I had to move our livestock trailer around today and noticed a feature that it has which I would like repeated on the AS. It has yellow leds facing forward that light up when the rear facing red travel lights are active. Thus I know that the rear light are on, the turn signals work as well as the break lights.

Just as an aside, the livestock trailer is also all aluminum and does not corrode (very nice). It came with 16" Michelin LT tires which I have not noticed to be any better or worst than the 15 GYM but then the travel conditions are significantly different so there is no one-to-one comparison.

Old 11-03-2014, 05:29 PM   #114
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi View Post
25 foot all electric model. Stove, no oven, no microwave, no furnace, I use portable heaters now, no air, I can use a portable one, electric only fridge, I supplement this with an ice chest, electric only water heater if wanted, I don't use one now, toilet with sink only, no shower, plenty of solar power and batteries, whatever is needed, generator in place of one gas tank and an ice chest in place of the other, large enough fresh water tank and black and gray tanks for boondocking. Just random thoughts, I only use lp now for the stove, so this isn't too far off from what I have now. Portable heaters and AC don't need thirty amp. What does everyone else think? Not afraid of LP, just don't see the need for it tha way we camp.

I'm doubting that will get a lot if traction? See threads for example on the subject of keeping fridge on during travel.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 05:38 PM   #115
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
So, THREE of us on here had the rivet tail in the furnace issue. (PharmGeek and I have already had some PM's on this when he had the same issue). My 28' 2012 Intl CCD did this trick right after I was out of warranty. Completely and totally avoidable, just cleaning out the trash would have kept all three of us out of this same issue. So, if 3 of us on AirForum had the issue, makes you wonder how many others who aren't on here had the same issue. Oh, and the "shower door that hangs from a single screw" -- which breaks and the door drops and you can't open the door -- and the plastic sweep that tears is another example of common problems that don't seem to get attention. Cost to fix these problems? Rivet in the furnace fun = zero. Redesign of shower door = better specs to the supplier would probably cost nothing.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 06:35 PM   #116
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
My fridge does not work on gas, we live with it. We find it not a problem at all. Some of us still look at AS as campers and not homes on wheels.
Old 11-03-2014, 07:19 PM   #117
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi View Post
My fridge does not work on gas, we live with it. We find it not a problem at all. Some of us still look at AS as campers and not homes on wheels.

Odd to me that you say that in support of an electric only camper. Propane lets us dry camp, no hookups. And, yes, we do that from time to time, as well as use it at home when the power is out. If Airstream got rid of propane systems in their trailers, I'd never buy a new one.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 07:39 PM   #118
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhendrix View Post
Great to know someone from AS is watching.

Here is another thought regarding the black tank flushing valve. The fresh water inlet in just below the flushing valve inlet. When connecting and disconnecting a water to the black tank flushing valve at a dump station, it's almost impossible to prevent non-potable water from dripping onto the fresh water inlet. Not a good idea from a contamination standpoint. Either put them side by side or the fresh water inlet above the flushing valve hose connection.
I echo this idea. I always cringe while watching water going into the black tank flush drip directly onto the city connection. Please put the city water connection above the black flush.
Old 11-03-2014, 07:53 PM   #119
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
To each his own - I wants my propane and my fancy pantsy house on wheels non camper

Also another fun option to offer is the zip dee tropic room.

I don't know the best answer but perhaps rethink blinds for bunkhouse models - the new shades look fragile as well - we like out blinds but they have taken a beating by kids

Ducted heat and AC ...oh never mind

I think solar y'all need to offer some competitive robust options - all too often it's said that for the same cost other businesses can deliver much more - it would be convenient if you all could offer solar that is competitive as such

And finally - make an effort to tell customers how to monitor for leaks using a moisture meter - this should be a standard of monitoring and maintenance - I asked AS how they tell people to monitor for leaks and was told that annual inspection of seams is all that is officially advised - but this will not detect moisture that gets in under the flooring from a leak you miss from a compartment door - the roof somewhere etc - make the manuals and tell all dealers to tell people how to monitor for moisture in addition to what is already said

Thanks for listening folks

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 08:15 PM   #120
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Seriously leaks? At this price point there should be no leaks! There have been 80 years pass.....
Their reputation is in the shell as it is proprietary to AS alone. Come on, if we can fix leaks at home in our driveways as we replace our rotten floors, they can be engineered gone at the factory where the problem should have never happened in the first place!
Just saying!

$100000+ for a 2015..... Never again!
Nutso, what changed? Nothing just updated trim, ducted AC is not an improvement, it's competition with units 1/20th the cost! Old news!
Give us efficient fridges that get and stay cold in the heat or a slight angle,
Lightweight composite flooring, urathane insulation, the ability to run some wiring in the future, less plastic, galvanized chassis, improved ergonomics in regards to inlets, outlets, switch placement, modern glass and heat reflecting films.
How about a new a frame that can house a real genset?
Security system? Wet shoe storage that drains outside? A drawer that is actually a dog bowl? Real axles/ suspension that last?

Just saying!
Old 11-03-2014, 08:17 PM   #121
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherzi View Post
I echo this idea. I always cringe while watching water going into the black tank flush drip directly onto the city connection. Please put the city water connection above the black flush.
On my FC 20 the thing which is much dumber is the fresh water input directly above the electrical input. If you have any water leakage from your hose, it drips directly down on the electrical plug/cord input.
Old 11-03-2014, 08:30 PM   #122
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Northridge , California
This is so minor but I really like the key holders that they put in the Eddie Bauer next to the door this should be on all models. I think its only in the Eddie Bauer and the Sport. I put up some command hooks but regular installed hooks would be greatly appreciated. Ooh and the aluminum rivited trip on the edging around the table etc looks nice. This is on the rentals at Airstreams2go.com
Thanks
LilNomad
Old 11-03-2014, 08:31 PM   #123
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Northridge , California
And really why is the fresh water knob plastic???? Geez! Feels like its gonna snap off everytime I drain the fresh water tank
LilNomad.
(sorry I think in spurts)
Old 11-03-2014, 08:33 PM   #124
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Calgary , Alberta
Things I like to see on New Airstreams

Is that something that could have just changed or a layout difference? On my '15 28 the black tank flush is 6-8ft away from my city water hookup or fresh water fill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherzi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLNomad View Post
This is so minor but I really like the key holders that they put in the Eddie Bauer next to the door this should be on all models. I think its only in the Eddie Bauer and the Sport. I put up some command hooks but regular installed hooks would be greatly appreciated. Ooh and the aluminum rivited trip on the edging around the table etc looks nice. This is on the rentals at Airstreams2go.com

Thanks

LilNomad

I believe the hooks are on many models...my 28' has them as well.
cory_can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 09:19 PM   #125
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
The Beautiful Mountains Of Southwest , Virginia
I would like to see aluminum frame, composite flooring, disc brakes, stronger grade of aluminum, radiant foil insulation, thermo pane windows, higher grade of skylights, tinted window in door with shade and mid-ship turn signals on everything above 25 feet and the availability to add these features as options if everyone doesn't want to pay for these as standard eqpt.
Old 11-03-2014, 09:19 PM   #126
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Saskatchewan
Hello all:

Greetings all:

I received an email today confirming that this thread has now been distributed internally within the management teams at Airstream. My guess is we now have several people at the nose bleed level of the company reading these comments on a regular basis.

So if you ever felt you owned a product that was made by a company who did not care - that thought would be wrong!

It's now up to us (the users) to ensure that any long-standing problems are articulated in an effective way if we wish to see positive change down the road. Or a given improvement or group of improvements are articulated sufficiently to see them embraced and incorporated into products moving forward.

As I stated earlier, I come from the manufacturing sector and can tell you that the actual cost of a component is not the only factor that has to be evaluated when considering changes to a product like an Airstream. So don’t think for a second that a plastic wire conduit should be a no-brainer because it costs pennies… The interconnected nature of the manufacturing process dictates that the net cost of a component is a very small part of the puzzle when considering changes. So lets use this opportunity try our effect change and improve our products…

Cheers
Doug