Old 11-07-2014, 11:17 AM   #211
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Another thought:

I have noticed the bumper storage hold a lot of dirt collecting in it...and then washing it all out is tricky because it appears there is no drainage (that I can recall). Perhaps add either a removable rubber plug or some open area to spray in there for easy quick clean or perhaps redesign that door opening a bit to minimize all the dirt just flowing in there?

A small if not inconsequential quibble...but hey, it crossed my mind.

I want to second the thoughts about redesigning reading lights a bit...I agree they can in many applications be much too bright...it would be nice if they could double as a basic night light while getting in bed then turn it off...so the dimmer idea is very nice...I will probably try and do what someone else suggested and add a mod to the current fixture to physically block/dim the light. even when you point that light backwards or into the corner of the furniture there, it lights up a lot. For now, I turn on the tv in the bedroom on mute as a night light, then use remote to turn it off once we are all settled in to sleep...I use my kindle reading clip on light for reading because the reading lights are not optimal for reading IMO...I am curious if many airstreamers use them for reading...I imagine I would rather them mostly serve to be for softer accent lighting, night light etc....?

I kinda think the light fixutres (these with a stem and swivel) are a bit odd...I feel like when I use them, I could easily just break them. And certainly my 3 year old son did just that fiddling with his in the bunkhouse. Suggest a very sturdy design for that room!

But I just love love the dimmable LED overhead lighting so far as the main lighting.

Can I just say again for just emphasis to re-think the outdoor "scare light" (as it has been pejoratively termed here on the forums ).

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 11:20 AM   #212
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Another thought: Bike Racks.

So...AS can install this one fianma rack that attaches mostly to the frame (not bumper) and then attaches to the rear of the AS as well into the aluminum...but can there not be some kinda fairly light duty hitch receiver that AS could make into the AS to handle two adult bikes? It may not be possible without making it attach as the fianma rack does, but if this existed, it would open up a broader and less expensive and no drilling required install of simple hitch mounted bike racks?

Old 11-07-2014, 12:14 PM   #213
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickles View Post
1. Have a "Full-Timers" model which may include less gaucho size and more kitchen counter and wardrobe space.

2. Hire David Winick again who is a master at space utilization and interior design. IMHO
When I called Jackson Center to set up a service appointment and was telling them all of the things wrong with the trailer, the guy asked me if we full time in it. I'm like, "No, we don't. Does it matter? Are you telling me it won't hold up to full time use? We do go camping every weekend and take about 3 week long trips per year."
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 12:19 PM   #214
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Calgary , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
When I called Jackson Center to set up a service appointment and was telling them all of the things wrong with the trailer, the guy asked me if we full time in it. I'm like, "No, we don't. Does it matter? Are you telling me it won't hold up to full time use? We do go camping every weekend and take about 3 week long trips per year."

Maybe they asked to see how inconvenienced you would be if you lived in it full-time ?
cory_can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 12:23 PM   #215
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
Another thought:

I have noticed the bumper storage hold a lot of dirt collecting in it...and then washing it all out is tricky because it appears there is no drainage (that I can recall). Perhaps add either a removable rubber plug or some open area to spray in there for easy quick clean or perhaps redesign that door opening a bit to minimize all the dirt just flowing in there?

A small if not inconsequential quibble...but hey, it crossed my mind.

I want to second the thoughts about redesigning reading lights a bit...I agree they can in many applications be much too bright...it would be nice if they could double as a basic night light while getting in bed then turn it off...so the dimmer idea is very nice...I will probably try and do what someone else suggested and add a mod to the current fixture to physically block/dim the light. even when you point that light backwards or into the corner of the furniture there, it lights up a lot. For now, I turn on the tv in the bedroom on mute as a night light, then use remote to turn it off once we are all settled in to sleep...I use my kindle reading clip on light for reading because the reading lights are not optimal for reading IMO...I am curious if many airstreamers use them for reading...I imagine I would rather them mostly serve to be for softer accent lighting, night light etc....?

I kinda think the light fixutres (these with a stem and swivel) are a bit odd...I feel like when I use them, I could easily just break them. And certainly my 3 year old son did just that fiddling with his in the bunkhouse. Suggest a very sturdy design for that room!

But I just love love the dimmable LED overhead lighting so far as the main lighting.

Can I just say again for just emphasis to re-think the outdoor "scare light" (as it has been pejoratively termed here on the forums ).
There is dirt in the bumper storage because the lid doesn't fit tight. The lid is just a bent piece of sheet metal, open at both ends. I wish they still had the nice extruded aluminum covers like some of the older trailers.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 11-07-2014, 12:25 PM   #216
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I suspect that if you full time in the AS they could??? Void the warranty? I'm not sure?

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Old 11-07-2014, 12:29 PM   #217
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by cory_can View Post
Maybe they asked to see how inconvenienced you would be if you lived in it full-time ?
Possibly. If I was full-timing and had to leave it 2 weeks for floors or doors I wouldn't have anywhere to sleep at night. We declined a new kitchen door and a new vinyl floor due to a 2 week time frame. I couldn't take off work (or afford the gas) to make that long trip again 2 weeks later. Ideally we will wait 2-3 more years before a return trip to Jackson Center for service.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 11-07-2014, 12:40 PM   #218
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Calgary , Alberta
Pharmgeek, I do remember seeing drainage holes in my bumper storage. If you don't have any it would be quite easy to make a few with plugs.
cory_can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 09:26 PM   #219
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Saskatchewan
The proximity to a Service facility can be a huge problem for many customers or potential customers of Airstream. In my case, the closest Service is about 2,000 km away. So one does not just make that trip on a lark. You NEED to know well in advance what the issue is and that the service people have both the skill and parts to fix the issue on the first trip. As a second trip because somebody did not have the parts is just NOT practical.
(Actually, making the first trip is also not Practical.....lol)
Old 11-07-2014, 10:17 PM   #220
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
... some kinda fairly light duty hitch receiver...
First thing that came to mind is someone hooking up the AS to the TV, and then hooking up a boat trailer to the AS. I guess it would be okay until the first time you had to back up. :-)

I like to think that anyone that can afford an AS is reasonably intelligent, but you never know. To avoid lawsuits, I think AS would have to put so many permanent stickers on the outside it would mar the beauty of the AS.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." – Mark Twain​
Tomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 11:04 PM   #221
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomy View Post
First thing that came to mind is someone hooking up the AS to the TV, and then hooking up a boat trailer to the AS. I guess it would be okay until the first time you had to back up. :-)

I like to think that anyone that can afford an AS is reasonably intelligent, but you never know. To avoid lawsuits, I think AS would have to put so many permanent stickers on the outside it would mar the beauty of the AS.
I don't think the Airstream's frame would stand up to anything other than perhaps an aluminum row boat. However there are states in the US where pulling a boat behind a 5th wheel or travel trailer is not only legal, but some people even do it. I'm guessing that they must have to drop the boat when they have to back up.

Ken
Old 11-07-2014, 11:40 PM   #222
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post
However there are states in the US where pulling a boat behind a 5th wheel or travel trailer is not only legal, but some people even do it.
Wow, did not know that. I'm picturing an accident with that configuration.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." – Mark Twain​
Tomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 03:28 AM   #223
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
I think a welded piece of rebar in a half circle on the end of the frame member on each side at the back would be nice so one could pass a generator security cable through it or even bicycle locking chains when parked. Would save on marring the aluminum wheels passing a chain through them...

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 04:00 AM   #224
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomy View Post
Wow, did not know that. I'm picturing an accident with that configuration.
Lots of people here do that. If it isn't a boat, it's a golf cart trailer or motorcycle trailer. Not unsafe. Not likely to have an accident, but it is impossible to back up. The boat/jet ski/golf cart/motorcycle must be unhitched first before backing into a campsite or they get a pull-through.
Very common around here. If I still had my sob I would be towing a motorcycle trailer behind my travel trailer. The man who bought my sob towed a boat behind it.

TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955