Old 11-05-2014, 09:51 PM   #155
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
2015 22' FB Sport
Kansas City , Missouri
I would like more technical information on their website.

Elevation drawings. 3-d mock up showing storage capacity. And for goodness sake let me see all the floor plans on 1 page. Now I have to open 2 tab windows and have the 16 sport on one, and 19 flying cloud on the other, just to compare them. I'd also like 1 page with specs for all models to compare. I had to make a freakin spreadsheet! Isn't that the factory engineer's job, not mine?

(I read engineering tech guides at my job every day, and I like to know these things.)

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 09:58 PM   #156
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Calgary , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
No matter what they do for us some will never be satisfied or believe they get their monies' worth. And some should shop elsewhere if they have a laundry list of complaints about an Airstream they never owned.

There are some fine, thoughtful suggestions in this thread. Hopefully they won't get buried in yet another complaint and rant session. We know Airstreams, we can do better than that.

You're right Doug....shouldn't be a complaint thread. Only thing related I want to add is that out of complaints comes improvements. It's the basis for these "requests".

It would be nice for an AS executive to check-in and acknowledge first hand that they are "listening".

cory_can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 10:05 PM   #157
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucaBluPlus2 View Post
One seemingly simple solution that I would love to see on new Airstreams would be drawers, as opposed to cabinets under couches and beds. While I realize it would steal a bit of space, it would be a fair trade off for not having to get on my hands and knees to access the contents.
My 2010 Classic has 3 drawers under the bed, 1 under each bench seat in the dinette and one under the couch.

Ken
Old 11-05-2014, 10:14 PM   #158

Quote:
Originally Posted by cory_can View Post
You're right Doug....shouldn't be a complaint thread. Only thing related I want to add is that out of complaints comes improvements. It's the basis for these "requests".

It would be nice for an AS executive to check-in and acknowledge first hand that they are "listening".
There is a thread where this happened, a couple years ago I think. Perhaps someone can post a link.

Ken
Old 11-05-2014, 10:24 PM   #159
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvery Moon View Post
You know what, that Timeless Travel suggestion is actually an awesome idea. Grab a shell with ducted AC and have them build the trailer I want. Once I get my breath back after looking at their quote, it would seem a fantastic idea. Getting a perfect trailer right out of the chute - it doesn't get better than that. I'll seriously consider this idea if / when we decide it's time to move to a new TT after enjoying the one we have long enough.
I actually love the interior of the International Signature, wonder if they could duplicate that in an Eddie Bauer shell, using Ultraleather over memory foam, with the floor, bathroom, and shower from the Land Yacht. I'd get lewster to do the solar. Add Wifi and cellular antennas. Add a motorized leveling system. A backup camera that displays on my iPhone (already available here.)

Everything inside and out motorized and connected to WiFi. Then I could write my own iPhone app to control it all.

I fire up the iPhone app when I get to my destination, tap the auto-levelers button (with just one push of a button, the AS has an electronic level in it that controls the three levelers). Then tap another button to deploy the awning. Tap another to unlock the door to the TT.

Unfortunately, I haven't figured out a way to automate emptying the black water tank. I'm still working on that.

Ultimately, I want Techno Glamping. I want to go explore beautiful places, sleep in a comfortable bed, not have to put clothes on to go to the campground bathroom, and fix gourmet meals for my wife and I, all the while still feeling close to those beautiful places.

That Airstream I describe, parked here might be my perfect paradise.

That might seem lazy, but in my youth, tent camping, a friend and set up camp the same time as a guy in a huge fifth wheel. We put up the tent, started a fire, cooked a meal, and shared a six pack, all while watching the fifth wheel owner unhook and level. We went to bed while he was still working on it.

I want to take comforts with me. I don't want to take my home with me.

And any AS guys reading this, the current stylings do greatly appeal to me. You guys are still getting a lot right.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." – Mark Twain​
Tomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 10:27 PM   #160
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Dallas , Texas
I really hadn't planned on responding again on this thread as I believe some here have misunderstood my posts. My intent was not to bash Airstream trailers per se. Believe me, I have seen what else is available out there, and most of it falls well short of what Airstream offers, albeit at a fraction of the price. I definitely find Airstream trailers attractive and can see why so many of you are loyal customers.

Having said that, my attempt in responding to the original intent of this thread was to list items I would like to see included on the trailers, and to point out that many on my list are already part of the production on certain models. Maybe some of my desires (ie larger shower) would be impossible to produce, but at least I threw it out there. My point was that at the high price of Airstream products, I felt many of these items should already be part of every trailer.
And I still stand by my statement that QA is lacking for a product of this price range and long-standing production. As a potential customer, it concerns me that the company cannot fix the floor issue, especially given how many complain about the leaks (at least on this forum).

Again, sorry if I offended some of you...that was not my intent.
Old 11-05-2014, 10:33 PM   #161
Rivet Slave

2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
Yes, as the owner of a 2014 27FB International Signature I do agree it's helpful when existing owners provide feedback, based on genuine experience, of what they'd like to see in future Airstreams. I've provided my initial list.

That said, until last year about this time we'd not owned one. From that perspective I'd suggest that new potential buyers have equally legitimate input on what they want to see in an Airstream. Otherwise, where will new owners come from?

Oh, and here's another one: stop wasting all that valuable space just inside the left side of entry door on the 27FB Intl Signature, behind that ridiculous gigantic wedge-shaped seat cushion back. Turn it into a storage area like the one on the Classic. I mean, really, why are you wasting that incredibly useful space?
Old 11-05-2014, 10:35 PM   #162
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by cory_can View Post
Depending on size and compared to current pricing I'm betting a custom AS with the upgrades people are desiring would start at 250K
And that should be an option, as long as the quality is there. Some people will be replacing houses that cost three times that when they retire and wish to go full time.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." – Mark Twain​
Old 11-05-2014, 10:49 PM   #163

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomy View Post
And that should be an option, as long as the quality is there. Some people will be replacing houses that cost three times that when they retire and wish to go full time.
And that is an option. You go to these people:
Custom Airstream, luxury trailers, retail & marketing vehicles
They will buy a new shell of the basic model you want and appoint it any way you wish if you can afford it. I guarantee the quality will be there.

Ken
Old 11-05-2014, 11:04 PM   #164
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post
And that is an option. You go to these people:
Custom Airstream, luxury trailers, retail & marketing vehicles
They will buy a new shell of the basic model you want and appoint it any way you wish if you can afford it. I guarantee the quality will be there.

Ken
Can they get Eddie Bauer shells with the rear hatch?
Old 11-05-2014, 11:14 PM   #165

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomy View Post
Can they get Eddie Bauer shells with the rear hatch?
I'd call them and ask. I would assume so. Some of their projects are pretty amazing.

Ken
Old 11-05-2014, 11:48 PM   #166
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadWest View Post

Next, teach new employees along with existing ones how to tighten fasteners with out striping threads. Seriously, a little training in this department would sure help. Too many stripped out fasteners throughout my trailer and I know many others have voiced the same situation with theirs.
Imagine how we felt with a new 2015 International Limited edition Eddie Bauer when we went to transfer our motorcycle from a 2013 EB and found that as soon as we slightly moved the D-ring tie downs in the 2015... they pulled out! The factory designed locations were missed by 3-5 inches in our installation!!!
This was right at the dealer's lot and all of the service guys had gone home for the day This was not the fault of our dealer (they have been great ... or factory support folks as they too have been great). Rather this is the fault of the one person who put in the D-ring anchors !!! The mothership sent us some "moly" fasteners; would you trust your expensive M/C to 5/16 expansion anchors ???

We really like our AS unit, but for heaven's sake - just where do they find these apes on the end of the air wrenches ???!! We are TERRIBLY dismayed / disappointed / frustrated / taken for a ride / discouraged (you get the idea) on the quality of this $92,000 unit !

Our dealer is over 600 miles away and it is not a quick and easy trip to just pop over to get something repaired that was clearly improperly torqued and CLEARLY evident to the ape that did the installation. We expect to have small issues with items that wear or vibrate into final position, but when something leaves the factory with the full knowledge of the install technician that it was improperly installed ... that more than takes the cake.

There is NO EXCUSE for this !!!

The concept is great ... the follow through is lacking. Our first FC20 was nearly problem free ... not so much for the last two ...
Old 11-06-2014, 05:33 AM   #167
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Mefly2 - I get that you're upset and don't blame you - but twice referring to the employee as an ape might be tempting or even cathartic, but it's offensive and misses the point.

I took the tour when I was there for service this year. As a corporate training leader for many years, I was really interested in finding out what their training process was like. I was told it's essentially apprenticeship.

There are pros and cons to that (won't bore you with the dissertation on that) but at the end of the day - quality issues like this are rarely the result of bad people and almost always the result of bad process/ineffective systems (not IT systems, holistic systems of approach - starting with defined goals and including training, coaching, feedback and apprenticeship).

Airstream does a lot right. They could use a fresh look at their definition of their expected customer experience and their quality goals, under which they could more effectively align their design, engineering, manufacturing and sales systems (including training approach).
Old 11-06-2014, 05:34 AM   #168
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
EB model is not advertised with a mc in back, only kayaks etc? Still no reason for misinstallation.