Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2011, 07:48 PM   #81
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2019 ​Interstate Nineteen
Prince George , Virginia
Hello BAB,
Wow,great posting, could you be the wind beneath my wings? I have dodged so many comment on my upcoming order of the new Flying Cloud. Everyone was frugally recommending buying a used model. I have been studying AS for some time. My mentor had one and I remembered from 30 years ago that one day I just gonna have myself one of this. The time has come I have my eyes set on the 2012 FC 20 ft and was surfing around this forum it was plain disappointed to read so much negative posting about purchasing the new AS left alone negative advice on how I am going to pay for it, come on it's my money, I will do what I wish. I am 62 year young and plan that this is what me ,my wife and MUMU my Shar Pei will see the country in our long await prolong vacation (I hate to refer to it as retirement). I am not a 25 year old graduate that will change the car every 3 years. We are going to be in this for a long run, and this could be our one and only AS.

That's said, let's cheer, congratulation on your AS, I will post the pics of mine as soon as I take delivery. And in 2 years, we should retire then, I will take the pilgrim to JC camp out let the folk check the FC before the warranty run out.

Congratulation!!!
Thank you,
Gracious,
Danke schoen,
mcintoshMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 03:20 PM   #82
Buddy and Barbara

2013 30' Classic
Macclenny , Florida
Yay for y'all and MUMU! Isn't it great to do something just because you want to? My husband and I and Melvin (our pekingese and our favorite child!) also plan to hit the road and see the country. We're about 18 months away from our dream trip. Until then, we'll contiinue long weekends and vacations. Our longest trip was 10 days that took us from Florida to Maryland and back. It was great! Is our rig perfect? No, but we love the Silver Peanut!

I think that most of the people on this forum who criticize Airstreams do it out of love for the history and a desire to see the legend continue. You gotta appreciate their passion.

I know you'll have a ball with your shiney new Flying Cloud. I can just imagine how cute it's going to be! But - be very careful because Airstreams are addictive. Heck, two years ago, we had never thought about a travel trailer; now, we're talking about full-timing. And the best part about being our age is that you can go on a completely new adventure with no worries about the pitter-patter of little feet changing your plans!

Looking forward to your pictures!
Silver Peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 01:37 PM   #83
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Yeeeeeeeeee-haaaaaaaaaaaw. I sure duz know how to stir zee pot.

BAB, Yeeeeeeeeeeeee-haaaaaaaaaaaaaaw (II). Can you line the Benz, Infiniti, Lambo, and 2012 Airstream up for another poster like this???

I never got meeself an edukation. Jest marryied somewon with a week heart and big bank balance. Thatz how I gawt my Airstreem. Heck...i don't care if the floor rotz. I just go and gets me another wun!!
Old 09-19-2011, 08:25 AM   #84
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Plymouth Meeting , Pennsylvania
Lining 'Em Up

I'm gonna' line up my $17K Honda and my 1996 Chevy Blazer for my own photo shoot...
Intrepid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 03:51 PM   #85
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
Just to finish the conversation (if it needed finishing). I picked up my 28' Intl CCD 10 days ago and have made two quick overnights in it. Despite everything on this site that might make you question "initial quality" -- my trailer is perfect. Not only does everything work according to spec, the fit and finish are in a word -- outstanding. Every angle works, no gaps, no construction "holidays." I am also pretty critical. It's hitched to my Infiniti with a ProPride 3P (Thanks, Sean!), and it is simple to hitch/unhitch. No sway, no nothing hauling it on the interstate at 65. The only issue is backing....but that's not the trailer, that's me! Loving the "Silver Leaf" and can't wait for my first long trip.
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 04:52 PM   #86
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Would I love to have a new Airstream? You Bet!! The RV is way to expensive for my budget. I have two and I am fixing them up.. I enjoy fixing them up and they fit into my budget. The new one is way out of my budget, but they sure look nice. I really like the design of the interior.

Brian
Old 11-13-2011, 06:33 PM   #87
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
New vs. Used

I've bought two NEW. I went from a huge old barn of a house - 5 br, 3 bath, attic and basement to fulltiming.

Of course I DON'T have it all to do over again - but I do advise first time buyers to buy gently used. Living with one for a year or two is the best way to find out what you really want and need. And it's a heck of a lot cheaper to upgrade when you've started with used.

If you've RV'ed for years and really know what you want, and you want new - then by all means - go for it.

One size does NOT fit all, one answer is not always THE only answer.

Live long and prosper! Paula
Old 11-13-2011, 06:45 PM   #88
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
I've bought two NEW. I went from a huge old barn of a house - 5 br, 3 bath, attic and basement to fulltiming.

Of course I DON'T have it all to do over again - but I do advise first time buyers to buy gently used. Living with one for a year or two is the best way to find out what you really want and need. And it's a heck of a lot cheaper to upgrade when you've started with used.

If you've RV'ed for years and really know what you want, and you want new - then by all means - go for it.

One size does NOT fit all, one answer is not always THE only answer.

Live long and prosper! Paula

I feel used also....

Everyone has their own preferences....but I would not buy new again.
Thankfully once is enough, this one should last 'til the end of time.

Bob
Old 11-14-2011, 08:51 AM   #89
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
I feel used also....

Everyone has their own preferences....but I would not buy new again.
Thankfully once is enough, this one should last 'til the end of time.

Bob
I know it should last until the end of time.... but have you seen how pretty the Serenity is? Especially the 27 FB and the 30?

As a 3 year old child I created a family joke by saying a prayer that I concluded with these words:

"Lead a snot into temptation, and deliver us from evil."

Airstream convinces me that as a 3 year old - I'd at least had an instinctive understanding of how Madison Ave. worked.

Paula
Old 11-14-2011, 10:39 AM   #90
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
I know it should last until the end of time.... but have you seen how pretty the Serenity is? Especially the 27 FB and the 30?

As a 3 year old child I created a family joke by saying a prayer that I concluded with these words:

"Lead a snot into temptation, and deliver us from evil."

Airstream convinces me that as a 3 year old - I'd at least had an instinctive understanding of how Madison Ave. worked.

Paula
Paula,

They almost TOO pretty. I think for those shopping now they're probably the Kat's PJ's.

But this old fart is "lost in the sixties", and they got put on the endangered list when they flattened the ends.

We are all on the same road....just that some of us are closer to the end.

"Cloudsplitter" will just have to do.

And yes, I so regret having had to part with our Safari.

Bob
Old 11-22-2011, 11:59 PM   #91
4 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
Yakima , Washington
New is good, new is shiny, but I have '97 25' Safari (3rd owner) and love it. It was it great shape when I got it, but couldn't leave it alone and started with upgrading the curtains, reupholstered the gaucho and will be updating the converter and inverter in the near future. I like to tinker, and besides if I only bought new I wouldn't have a '37 Chevy pick up and a '38 Chevy coupe. Did I say I like to tinker? New is good so buy it if you like and don't be discouraged by those who have had problems as problems come with either a new or a used unit, it's part of life. Buy new or buy used, but get into the game and enjoy AS ownership and all that goes with it.
dirigible25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 06:44 AM   #92
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weldon Spring , Missouri
Great advice, dirigible25.
fmr.capt.evi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 07:35 AM   #93
2 Rivet Member

2006 19' International CCD
Hatboro , Pennsylvania
They were all new at one time , I like our vintage 2006 Bambi
kipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 08:37 AM   #94
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Thumbs up

Thank goodness there only new once...

Bob
Old 11-24-2011, 08:38 AM   #95
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper View Post
They were all new at one time , I like our vintage 2006 Bambi

Well then, I guess everyone will have to start quibbling about new new vs old new. It is pretty much like Chevy vs Ford. It will never be resolved.

Happy Thanksgiving to all.

To the participants of one side or the other of the discussion: Just be thankful that you are not one those poor souls on the other side of the discussion.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 09:03 AM   #96
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
I've decided this is the way to go: the first Airstream is brand new.

Then one buys a fixer-upper (while keeping the first one).

When the fixer-upper starts to drive you batty, you take-off in the newer one for a holiday.

Problem solved. :grin:
Old 11-24-2011, 09:05 AM   #97
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post
Well then, I guess everyone will have to start quibbling about new new vs old new. It is pretty much like Chevy vs Ford. It will never be resolved.

Happy Thanksgiving to all.

To the participants of one side or the other of the discussion: Just be thankful that you are not one those poor souls on the other side of the discussion.

Ken
Perhaps we should adjourn this discussion.....at least until tomorrow. We don't want anyone choking on their drumstick.

Happy Turkey Day to our American friends.
Old 11-24-2011, 12:02 PM   #98
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly at Night View Post
I've decided this is the way to go: the first Airstream is brand new.

Then one buys a fixer-upper (while keeping the first one).

When the fixer-upper starts to drive you batty, you take-off in the newer one for a holiday.

Problem solved. :grin:
Rong...it's the other way around.

Bob
Old 11-25-2011, 03:46 PM   #99
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weldon Spring , Missouri
One advantage of "new new": you get to drag it to JC and hold their feet to the fire.....(for a couple years).....
fmr.capt.evi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 03:58 PM   #100
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmrcaptevil View Post
One advantage of "new new": you get to drag it to JC and hold their feet to the fire.....(for a couple years).....
Thank-you. Now I know how to get there; just follow the smell of burning flesh.