Old 08-23-2011, 09:08 AM   #57
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly at Night View Post
And dammit! There goes my toilet. My 1 1/2 year-old Flying Cloud toilet won't flush. Help!
Sounds like a shopping opportunity to me!

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 09:14 AM   #58
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
FaN

Your very welcome.......but this was the original Argue thread, a fun place to go if the mood strikes.

Bob
Thanks, but I think I'll just start one of my own.

How about "The Airstream World Would be Better Off Without These Airstream Owners (Old or New)" then started a list.....
and encouraged others to add to it......with verbosity?

Old 08-23-2011, 09:22 AM   #59
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
I'm old, but but low on verbose...do 'dat count?

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 09:27 AM   #60
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Originally Posted by Fly at Night
And dammit! There goes my toilet. My 1 1/2 year-old Flying Cloud toilet won't flush. Help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmclemore View Post
Sounds like a shopping opportunity to me!

Pat
Is the "Don't buy new!" mantra also applicable to toilets?
Old 08-23-2011, 09:28 AM   #61
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:
I'm old, but but low on verbose...do 'dat count?
My verbose is draggin' these days too.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:43 AM   #62
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
It was started by a very eccentric, enthusiastic, erudite, engaging, and thoroughly engrossing fellow Stream'r.

Bob
Bob,

I think my wife has been hanging out with that guy, sometimes he doesn't know when to keep his mouth shut.

Thanks,

Ken
Old 08-23-2011, 10:09 AM   #63
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly at Night View Post
Well, what can I say? It's just like me practicing the backing up (with trailer) prior to the shakedown cruise.

The poor Airstream goes one way, then it goes the other way, and we're headed right for the fence/ditch/tree/side of the garage (take your pick).
Then I get fed up because we're going no where fast.

As the neighbour said, next time you're "practicing" backing up, can you let me know because I want to bring my lawn chair and a beer. Best entertainment around!

But, I know what to call these backing-up gigs. That's for sure. An exercise in futility. Now I've cancelled the back-in RV park for one with 100% drive-thru sites. So, I'm going.....but the thought of a back-in site is about as appealing as a root canal at this point in time.
Let me tell you how I solved this problem. (This is a factual story with the possible exception of the last sentence)
At first I backed up with my wife giving directions. The results were much as you described. Of course the problem was surely with how my wife gives directions. After discussing this heatedly, I agreed to give directions while she drove. Immediately, my superior directions allowed her to back in with very little input. I quickly discovered that the only function I needed to perform was to keep a eye out to be sure she didn't hit anything. Things have gone smoothly ever since. This apparently just proves that I am an excellent instructor.

Ken
Old 09-11-2011, 09:19 AM   #64
3 Rivet Member

I for one would not buy a new Airstream. The quality just isn't there, not the way it was just 20-25 years ago. I do not wish any bad will for Airstream however, what I hope to see is Airstream bringing back the quality products of yesterday. Not only that but the quality control needs to be stepped up. A lot of the problems with the new units could be avoided with a little more care during manufacture and someone else checking the work closely. If Airstream is to survive they must once again build the quality product that made them last for generations otherwise they are just building silver boxes that resemble Airstreams.
Old 09-11-2011, 08:53 PM   #65
Buddy and Barbara

2013 30' Classic
Macclenny , Florida
I guess you could name this thread "To New or Not to New". It's all very interesting and, of course, we all have our opinion.

We love seeing Airstreams, old and new, traveling around. Our neighbors have a '67 Caravel that they restored and it is perfect. For them. Two years ago, we bought a 2004 30' Classic and it is perfect for us. It is very comfortable and meets all of our needs. We almost bought brand new and would today if money was not an object. For example, I would love to have a custom made Airstream with a front kitchen and free-standig dinette. That doesn't, however, decrease my affection for our Silver Peanut. It just means I'm human and am never fully satisfied.

I think the quality on the new and later models is excellent. Compare them to any other rv and I think you'll agree. It's too bad the Pennsylvania Unit Director can't support and promote today's Airstreams --I don't think Wally would like his comments.

When you find the Airstream for you, you'll know it. Happy camping!
Old 09-11-2011, 09:17 PM   #66
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEANlowGREEN View Post
I for one would not buy a new Airstream. The quality just isn't there, not the way it was just 20-25 years ago. I do not wish any bad will for Airstream however, what I hope to see is Airstream bringing back the quality products of yesterday. Not only that but the quality control needs to be stepped up. A lot of the problems with the new units could be avoided with a little more care during manufacture and someone else checking the work closely. If Airstream is to survive they must once again build the quality product that made them last for generations otherwise they are just building silver boxes that resemble Airstreams.
Wow, No leaks or issues with yours?

My Airstream is a fake one? No quality behind it? Just a crappy shell?

"Jealousy rears it's ugly head!"

Shane

"Stay Thirsty My Friends"

Tow Vehicle" 2011 Superduty Diesel!!"

TAC ID TX-1432
THEPILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 09:19 PM   #67
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bstomlin View Post
It's too bad the Pennsylvania Unit Director can't support and promote today's Airstreams --I don't think Wally would like his comments.

When you find the Airstream for you, you'll know it. Happy camping!
AWESOME POst!!!!!

Well Put!!!!!

Shane

"Stay Thirsty My Friends"

Tow Vehicle" 2011 Superduty Diesel!!"

TAC ID TX-1432
THEPILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 06:46 AM   #68
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
"I think the quality on the new and later models is excellent."

And others think not.....so be it.

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 07:06 AM   #69
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstomlin View Post

I think the quality on the new and later models is excellent. Compare them to any other rv and I think you'll agree. It's too bad the Pennsylvania Unit Director can't support and promote today's Airstreams --I don't think Wally would like his comments.
I do think the quality of new Airstreams is better than the average white box and this is a common argument that is meant to make us accept any issues we may experience with our silver palace. This is also the very attitude that has allowed Airstream to drop their quality. Better than the others is not good enough yet every time we say this we lower the bar for the factory. We tell them that this is good enough and we will continue to support them no matter what. Build the best trailer possible, that's what Wally wanted. Of course Wally wouldn't like my comments but at the same time I don't think he would have approved the use of thinner materials and the far fewer rivets they use in the new models. After all, he is the one who said "Let's not make changes, only improvements". I don't see cutting the amount of rivets holding the skin on as an improvement. As I originally stated, " I do not wish any bad will for Airstream, however, what I hope to see is Airstream bringing back the quality products of yesterday." We are entitled to get the same quality product that Airstream still bases it's reputation on, nothing less. Anyone reading this thread owes to themselves to take the time to read this in it's entirety, it's a real eye opener. It's just one ladies experience but she is not the only one who has had major issues.

The Silver Snail :: Why Airstream does not deserve the love :: FLOOR ROT IN 2007 LATE-MODEL AIRSTREAM

So, if I offended any of you I apologize, my comment was not meant to offend anyone, it is meant as a wake up call. We don't have to settle for better than the average white box. We all bought into the Airstream legend, we should all get what we paid for, but not everyone did. If you bought a $50,000 car would you turn your head to water leaks, rusty floor boards etc? I sincerely doubt it. Why do we do it with $50,000 -100,000 trailers? Just to support the brand? That is the kind of support that will allow the company to drive itself straight into the ground. I don't want that for Airstream, So contrary to what you may believe I am VERY pro-Airstream. So much so that I have Wally's face tattooed on my arm, I am very committed to the brand and to the club. So much so that I don't mind calling them on it when I see a problem developing. It is not a crime to want the factory to step things up. I should have your support on this. If we don't want this then who will... the bean counters in corporate? I don't think so.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:34 AM   #70
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
I don't know about the quality issues, but it bothers me that Airstream trailers do not come with LED lights, true deep cycle batteries and disc brakes standard. Are these not the "improvements" that Wally would make?

Dan