Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2011, 07:19 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA BAMBI II View Post
Having grown up traveling in Airstreams from the age of six days old, I was always proud to have one in the family. Mom and Dad started with a 24' 1966 Tradewind Double, upgraded to a 31' 1972 International Sovereign, and finally when the kids were out of the house, went to a LARGER 32' 1986 Excella.

Each Airstream was newer, but never new. Dad was happy to buy used because that is what he could afford...and he loved the quality (over other brands) of an Airstream.

Today I am the proud owner of a 1964 Bambi II. I never thought, like Dad never thought, that I would own one single Airstream. They are out of my price range. I got mine for a steal, and now the full and total rebuild begins. Hey- I needed another project for my spare time.

I also just spoke to a couple this past weekend who are elated to own a 2011 Flying Cloud. They love it. It is a beautiful unit. They drove across several states to claim it as their own and they could not be happier.

I appreciate the new units, but I will always go vintage personally. As everyone seems to ask- "are they still making those things?" Well, yes and no. Airstreams, yes- VINTAGE Airstreams, no. There is a difference, but also a place for everyone and their own interests, tastes, and budgets.

What a great hobby!
Yes. A great hobby indeed.

Thanks for your extensive reply.
Old 08-18-2011, 07:19 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
I was kicked in this very forum for suggesting that to buy new was a good thing. I had, apparently, insulted all those who couldn't afford to buy new. Well, that wasn't my intention, I was merely pointing out that for someone as cack-handed as me, new was the only option because there is no way I could maintain a vintage unit.

We bought new because we don't really have the skill or the desire to lavish huge amounts of time on keeping an old 'un on the road. Also, ours is the only trailer we intend to buy so we started with new and will hopefully grow old with it.

Of course, there are plenty of good folks out there who thrive on the challenge of an older unit and yes, of course, not everyone has the means to buy new. Either way, new or old, each unit is cherished by its owners and that's the important thing.

For what it's worth, I think Airstreams old and new are fantastic and get excited at the sight of either, sad man that I am!

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 07:26 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutcth View Post
Please read my reply in a pleasant tone. I don't mean to blast back, but I have to question a few things:

No matter how many times people (including me) write "I'd save some money from depreciation and buy a unit that is a few years old and debugged by its first owner," people will still buy new trailers.

Some people will always want new. New is shiny. New has a warranty. New lets you pick the options you want. New allows you to buy one off of a lot rather than hunting for one for weeks/months/years and then driving cross-country. New allows you to satisfy a dream in a fairly efficient manner.

Fair enough.

But the statement that it's a good idea to buy a slightly-used trailer, or to restore vintage, isn't a bad attitude. It does help people. It helps people save some money by depreciation. It helps people to realize that it's nice to have someone debug your trailer.

Those sort of comments also have to get back to the factory. Most accounts are that quality control in the newer trailers is somewhat better than a few years back. That's a good thing.

One other thing - don't assume jealousy or that other folks can't afford a new trailer. We could buy one tomorrow. (Indeed if, heaven forbid, our Argosy got wrecked, we might indeed do that.) But one does not live or die by Airstream alone (or something like that)...

Tom
"Please ready my reply in a pleasant tone."

Ha! Ha! I'm not that confrontational.

Okay. Maybe my pronouncement of jealousy was over-the-top.
But please bear in mind, I was attacking the principle - not the principal.

I do hope all these comments get back to the factory. It would appear the pride of Airstream craftsmanship has not kept up with the pride of ownership.

But....things can change for the better. Perhaps they already have. It will be interesting to read the comments from the 2010 models onward.

p.s. Like how you called it "debugging." Sounds kinda mysterious....like that spy vs. spy stuff.
Old 08-18-2011, 07:28 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly at Night View Post
Ha! Ha! I'm not that confrontational. .
LOL! I just wanted to make sure I wasn't sounding confrontational!

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 07:35 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by az-streamer View Post
Don't worry folks:

Maybe it's like Wally says. A fella ain't got an Airstream of his own, but only a piece of a big Airstream, the one big Airstream out there that belongs to everybody. And then it don't matter. Then Airstreams'll be all around in the dark. Airstreams'll be everywhere…Wherever there's a road to travel, an Airstream'll be there. Wherever there's a remote corner to boondock on, an Airstream'll be there. An Airstream will be in the way guys talk when they're discussing hitches and Airstreams'll be in the way new owners laugh when they make up funny names and they know they are ready for their first trip…And when Airstream people gather at rallies and eat the weird stuff they brought for potluck , well Airstream'll be there too.

Wow! Ol' Wally wasn't worried about anyone's wrath, bless him.
Old 08-18-2011, 07:42 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
Everybody complains about the quality of new Airstreams. Maybe you should try buying a new SOB and see what happens. Airstreams are the worst RV in the world, except for everything other RV.
"Airstream are the worst RV in the world, except for everything other RV."

I feel the same about my taxman and dentist -
but at least with the Airstream I spent it willingly, and other aspects were not as bad as pulling teeth.
Old 08-18-2011, 07:45 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkspeed View Post
If I bought a new Airstream I would spontaneously combust within an hour of figuring out there was nothing to work on.
I have bad dreams about things that aren't broken.
Sounds like you're in the biz. Now, aren't you glad everyone does not want to put you out of work?
Old 08-18-2011, 07:48 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by casa3805 View Post
Interesting thread. Did I buy a vintage trailer because it was all I could afford? No. But it was all I wanted to spend. Heck, we did not even know what Vintage meant when we bought it. But we wanted to try out the RV life and see if it was something we really wanted to do. Couple of funny things happened. We fell in love with the lifestyle and the trailer (which we named Bud). Now that says a lot in itself, I have never in my life "named" anything inanimate. But it just doesn't feel inanimate, I see the dents and scratches and simply wonder, "where were you Bud, what happened here?" And like I said, we fell in love so...
Now here comes the really strange part. We really are thinking about getting a new one. (love the International Serenity) But no way would we get rid of Bud.

So...2 Airstreams? Probably...

I guess there are as many reasons to buy Vintage or New as there are owners of Airstreams. But we all share that same bond. We love the darn things...
"But it was all I wanted to spend."

Good comment. Spending less but getting more is the ideal situation, but it's difficult to find in the Airstream world, especially for us Canadians.

Loved your comment about our shared bond. That was the gist of what I was trying to say.
Old 08-18-2011, 07:52 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skater View Post
I suspect that when the vintage units were new, they had problems similar to what new Airstreams now have. Does anyone know how good/bad their vintage trailer was when it was new? Probably not...

That said, I wouldn't mind having a restored vintage unit. To me, the real advantage is that you can get one of the restorers to do whatever you want in it. It's expensive, but still cheaper than a new one.

On a related note, I noticed that the floor plan in our '95 30' Excella is exactly the same as a 2011 30' Classic Limited, which tells me it's a good floor plan and we're not the only ones that like it.
Now, that is interesting. I wonder what the Airstreamers of 30+ years ago said about their new units.

This was long before the internet so there was no way they could compare notes, except at rallies, via the newsletters etc.

If I could do it again, I would try for the custom-restoration option.

I have no regrets about my unit, but like a new house, you find something that you wish you could do over again.
Old 08-18-2011, 07:55 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by valmog View Post
Interesting topic ~ I'll throw my two cents in. We bought a new Bambi just this summer. We had looked for quite some time for a used 16 ft trailer and we weren't able to find one. We ended buying new knowing that we'd loose some value right away but we got what we wanted. It didn't cost any more than our last car, and somehow I feel we'll get A LOT more enjoyment out of our little trailer than any car we'll ever own.

I LOVE seeing the old airstreams drive by with their pretty, shiny exteriors, but I also know that they are a lot of work and we don't have that kind of time to put into one at this time in our lives....maybe someday, when we retire But, I hope we get an awful lot of enjoyment out of ours until then!

Cheers!
Kim
That looking can be exhausting. Glad you decided to go for new, and your comparison to auto ownership is spot on.

Enjoy!
Old 08-18-2011, 07:58 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUKToad View Post
I was kicked in this very forum for suggesting that to buy new was a good thing. I had, apparently, insulted all those who couldn't afford to buy new. Well, that wasn't my intention, I was merely pointing out that for someone as cack-handed as me, new was the only option because there is no way I could maintain a vintage unit.

We bought new because we don't really have the skill or the desire to lavish huge amounts of time on keeping an old 'un on the road. Also, ours is the only trailer we intend to buy so we started with new and will hopefully grow old with it.

Of course, there are plenty of good folks out there who thrive on the challenge of an older unit and yes, of course, not everyone has the means to buy new. Either way, new or old, each unit is cherished by its owners and that's the important thing.

For what it's worth, I think Airstreams old and new are fantastic and get excited at the sight of either, sad man that I am!
Another spot-on observation. Some may have worked hard all our lives and just do not have the energy or desire to spend copious amounts of time looking for the right used unit at the right price.

I know if I went that route, I'd end up at the mall holding that cold cup of coffee.

You have a great attitude. Bravo!!!!
Old 08-18-2011, 09:26 PM   #32
Aluminum Falcon Mechanic

1972 31' Sovereign
Wesley chapel , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly at Night

Sounds like you're in the biz. Now, aren't you glad everyone does not want to put you out of work?
Not in the biz. Just like working on my old airstream
Darkspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 10:09 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, this subject has been brought up before, just worded different, and my statement is still the same; If there were no new Airstreams, there wouldn't be any used/vintage Airstreams.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 10:36 PM   #34
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
We've had our Airstream (bought new) for 2 years. It is our third travel trailer. The previous 2 were also purchased new.

The Airsteam had a few problems when it arrived, but far fewer and less serious the either of the other two SOBs.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 12:53 AM   #35
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Nevada City , California
I am picking up my new 2012 Flying Cloud in Eugene, after Labor Day. I'm close to 70 and have never driven a truck, nor pulled a trailer. I don't have time to wait for the perfect used trailer or the time to restore one. I'm living my dream now even though I don't have enough money left for gas! Reading truck manuals, researching hitches, and
often hear "go girl go!" I am having a wonderful time and don't even have the Air. Think what a frolic it will be when I pick it up! Hopefully, the roads will be clear and the camp grounds empty. I looked at an Air today and it looked awfully large. I'm going to have this following me down the road? Yikes. New or old, just hit the road.
Orson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 06:03 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
1961 24' Tradewind
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly at Night View Post
Now, that is interesting. I wonder what the Airstreamers of 30+ years ago said about their new units.

This was long before the internet so there was no way they could compare notes, except at rallies, via the newsletters etc.
Dad and I were just discussing last evening how he remembers listening to many Airstreamers with late 1970's units when they were brand new complain about build quality. Every little thing went wrong with them. This was during the famous "Beatrice" years of ownership.

This was back when they only had the rallies and gatherings to discuss.
Old 08-19-2011, 08:34 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
I believe there are many factors that go into the decision of buying new or used, but you can never go wrong buying quality. Over the last few months I have done a lot of research trying to decide what TT to buy and the one that kept coming out on top was the AS. So we looked at new and used. Decided on a new 25' Flying Cloud. One reason we bought new was our age and the fact that I did not want to do major maintenance as we traveled about. My wife and I will pick it up this coming Wednesday. I hope it will be perfect in all ways, however, over the years I have found even the best made items have flaws but usually minor in nature and easily correctable.
I suspect it will be true with our new AS.
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 01:00 PM   #38
2 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Island Lake , Illinois
Ahh, likes your 'tude Orson. Wishes you well in your hands on driving lessons I do.
I bought a new(altho 2010) 27' Flying Cloud to be picked up next Friday. So it sucks?
My last/still present 31' Dutchman Classic seems like a dollhouse inside in comparison. I never dared shut a faucet with but two fingers for fear it would twist off..window cranks? Lots wore out/stripped with minimal use. The white box trailers as some call them seem to all have slide outs. Nice but I am so done with that...heart of those gaskets should be stainless.
Yeah, I could have taken better care of the white box..blocked up as my campsite is far (but great) from level. dern mouse chewed a hole in the corner/roof as well.
Going to have a spot leveled so I can at moments notice take the AS on..yeah, an adventure as one said. Even a rainy day don't sound bad with the panoramic view fore 'n aft to ponder flint knapping? lol, with this country going as it is I may have to resort hunter/gatherer 1day...btw, I made fire from flint/tinder last year first time. Way cool feeling that is.
I'm glad I bought new per se. Wipes the slate clean with what I've learned 'n ready. Likes the rocks as well I do, and morels, hen of the woods mushrooms, strawberries they be outside. Learn to call the trailer Bud "winks" other than oh **** sounds good aging with.
I'll just have to get used to rolling down the road with a large slug-o-money tethered amongst the preoccupied. eep~
@ Orson~backing? lean back and relax, learn the mirrors, hand at six O'clock on the wheel. Hand go's in desired direction of trailer...wup, don't look back.
justbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 01:58 PM   #39
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Bothell , Washington
Not many 1976 box trailers in all that good of shape, but my 1976 AS took us on a 4k outing and all i did was put tires on it. I do have to admit, i'd really like a new AS, but i'm not able to aford it... but someday the kids will move out, mwahahaha.
Old 08-20-2011, 07:50 PM   #40
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
Reality Bites!

Having just ordered a brand new 28' International, I have an opinion to share. The "good old days" weren't necessarily that great. I remember my first trailer experience with my aunt and uncle in a 22' Silver Streak Clipper back in 1954. Later -- in '58, I went to Yellowstone with them in a '56 Airstream TradeWind. THAT was luxury compared to the Clipper, is it had NO bath, not much of anything, but I thought it was cool at the time. UNTIL the Airstream that is. (And that Airstream has been fully updated by my B-I-L and is fully roadworthy). I had a small Winnebago back in the mid-80's. Quality? No comment. I consider myself an early adopter. I had a GM EV1 in So. Cal for 3 years. Innovation and quality matter. This Forum helped me to decide to buy NEW. Right now, more than ever, we need to support American manufacturers and American businesses. I have every confidence that I'm not going to be let down by Airstream or my dealer.
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote