Old 09-27-2013, 02:02 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1990 25' Excella
Sisters , Oregon
The Seductiveness of Shiny Objects

Warning: This is pretty philosophical...

I'm the new owner of an old Airstream. Which I'm not picking up for another couple of weeks. I've been immersed here for two months trying to gain as much information as possible. So, real newbie. Lots of book learning but I haven't even touched my trailer yet. Dangerous I know.

My wife and I are in the midst of downsizing. We have led a pretty conventional life, have a pretty big house, and mountains of stuff. Our house is for sale and we've decided that, rather than buy another smaller one right away, that we will hold off and take advantage of the first unencumbered freedom that we have had since we were first married 46 years ago.

Enter an Airstream. We plan to live full-time in our 25' trailer for the next 1-2 years. See America. Boondock. Get out into nature. Meet some great folks. You all know those things.

Enter the Seduction of Shiny Objects

One of the key components of the new found freedom is the lack of stuff when living small. We recognize that there are challenges involved in going from 3,700sf to 150sf, but we think we're up to it (used to do a lot of tent camping when I worked as a California State Park Ranger). I sincerely want to Keep It Simple (no Stupid, simple isn't Stupid).

But as I research living this lifestyle, I find myself attracted to shiny objects! An affliction that I have had all my life - that's why we have a mountain of stuff. And now that we have just acquired this huge shiny object, how can I live without lots more to go with it: a Dyson Animal Vacuum, a Dyson Hot & Cool, a memory foam mattress, a Napoleon Marine Grill, and so many other shiny objects. I want this stuff! Maybe I even need some of it (especially that marine grill). But the want/need line can get pretty blurry at times.

I've become such a Material Boy - must show restraint.

My wife and I view this as civilized camping and touring. But I would like it to be as efficient and comfortable as possible. So I'm trying to walk the line: Functional (cross functional if possible); Small; Simple; Inexpensive (did I mention Dyson!?).

The goal: Enhance the experience without encumbering it.

I'd love to hear if others have wrestled with this as well and how you're doing. What shiny objects have really worked out? And which ones not so much?

Cheers,
Poppy

Old 09-27-2013, 02:33 PM   #2
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Twin Rocks , Oregon
Poppy, the Dyson alternative is a handheld Shark. You can get them at Camp Wallmart.

Old 09-27-2013, 02:49 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Every Shiny Thing Must Have Its Place

Since your 25' Airstream has very little space for stowing shiny things, you must choose and equip your tow vehicle with this in mind.

The Airstreamers most able to haul around the greatest number (and weight) of shiny things would seem to be those who purchase a 2500 pickup (F250 if it's a Ford) and install a utility topper on the bed with hinged access panels port and starboard.

Even though I enjoy a great deal of storage in my Classic 30, I still carry a generator, a grill, tools, ladder, etc. in the bed of my truck. But since we are not full-timers, I got rid of the topper and use large storage bins instead.

I also have a rule that if I haven't used something in the previous 365 days I don't haul it around anymore (This rule does not include safety equip, spare tires, and tire changing tools.
Attached Images

Four Corners Unit WBCCI #8654
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 03:10 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2010 22' Interstate
Anchorage , Alaska
It isn't about trailers but you might find something helpful in this thread: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240...ng-100347.html

BTW, I suffer from the same disease; it's a lot of work buy you can (partially) beat this curse
AIR #44779
TAC AK-1 !!
wayneskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 03:13 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1990 25' Excella
Sisters , Oregon
@Drathaar - Checked out the Mountain of Stuff and we have a Shark. Seems fine to me with a wood floor - and can't beat the cost since I already have it. Thanks! We also have an oil filler radiator and I'm thinking of using that for now with a fan. Biggest drawback I can see, other than the fact that it isn't shiny , is that it's so big.

@Ken - Yes it looks like we have very limited storage in our old (not vintage, not new) 25er. My TV has quite a bit of room, but I really don't want to fill it with stuff. I'm thinking that we can start with a minimal amount of stuff and then add as needed and follow the "use or lose" rule. A Hill of Stuff would become a Mountain of Stuff real fast in a 25' trailer I imagine.

Even though we won't have a house, we will have a nice home base at our son and daughter-in-law's house. They have a huge basement and are still in the early stages of acquiring shiny objects, so there's a lot of room.

Poppy
Old 09-27-2013, 03:25 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1990 25' Excella
Sisters , Oregon
@Wayne - That's a great thread! I hadn't come across that one yet. Which is amazing given the amount of time that I'm on this forum. My wife was wondering why I spend so much time in the La-Z-Boy lately with my iPad. I tell her that I'm doing research.

Poppy
Old 09-28-2013, 12:37 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1990 25' Excella
Sisters , Oregon
Getting Rid of the Mountain of Stuff

I'm going to turn this thread on its head. One of my current challenges is resisting the temptation to acquire shiny objects as I launch a 1-2 year full-timing adventure in the new (to us) Airstream. The other side of that coin is to get rid of the Mountain of Stuff that my wife and I have accumulated over the past 46 years.

The plan is to sell our 3,700sf house and keep enough stuff to furnish a 1,500sf house or condo following the adventure. So I have made peace with the idea that I am going to have to have a storage unit. But there's still a lot to get rid of!

We live in a gated community (I've grown to really dislike the gated thing - lot of noses in the air around here) that doesn't allow garage sales. My thinking is that we can sell the excess furniture through a consignment sales shop here that we have dealt with before and trust. That leaves a lot of odds and ends. We might be able to give a lot of things away to charities, but they must be doing a land office business here in Bend as they are getting really selective.

This task is complicated by the fact that I have just closed a vintage Porsche parts business that I have had for 10+ years and there are a lot of odds and ends there as well.

The open road beckons but many hurdles to clear before we start rolling down it in January. I know that many here have down-sized and I would really appreciate any advice that you might be able to provide on how to streamline the process.

Thanks!

Poppy
Old 09-28-2013, 12:41 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1990 25' Excella
Sisters , Oregon
A Complication

One other thing...

The down-sizing task is complicated by the fact that I really hate waste. It aggrieves me to throw away anything that might be useful. I don't might giving it away, but really hate the idea of throwing it away. I don't *think* I'm a hoarder, but a qualified healthcare professional may think otherwise.

Poppy
Old 09-28-2013, 01:03 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Albuquerque , New Mexico
When in Doubt, Throw it Out...

... It's a liberating experience, though you may feel a little light headed at first.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #8654
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 03:19 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Kyle , The Republic of Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alumaholic View Post
... It's a liberating experience, though you may feel a little light headed at first.
Alumaholic Ken is so RIGHT - disposing of as much of your "stuff" as you can is totally liberating. My reason wasn't as romantic as going fulltime, just a divorce. She chose the material stuff & I chosed a much simpler life. And I KNOW I came out "wealthier" in that I was no longer burdened with the insurance and care of the things we'd collected.

Wishing you the best in the new direction you have chosen.
Old 09-28-2013, 03:43 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I've been fulltiming since 2005 - and your "liking shiny" speaks to my condition. YEP... it's an ongoing challenge to KEEP it simple. My advice is to
  • ACCEPT that advertisers have your "I want" DNA wired into their sales process
  • That resistance may not be entirely futire, but
  • temptation is eternal, the urge to resist is periodic
You will acquire a LOT of shiny stuff, and probably have to pull an "empty it all out and re-pack essentials" once a year at least just to keep things under control.

So why not start out without anything new. Put out all of your silverware - take only the best and only 4 place settings. All of your hand utensils - again, if it's old and worn throw it, if you have 4 the same or similar throw/give away all but one, if it's something you haven't used in your home in six years... sell it unless it's absolutely camping specific.

You can carry two weeks worth of undies because you might be far from a laundromat - and digestive upsets can happen. Other than that, carry ONE dressier outfit, enough camping clothing to not smell like a goat, and two pairs of comfortable shoes. Don't bring anything along for a banquet - if you DO need a 40 cup percolator you can borrow it from a church or buy then donate it TO one.

Buy shiny as you need it - and spread the pleasure over the next several months.

Paula
Old 09-28-2013, 03:48 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
Port Hadlock , Washington
Pam and I moved onto a 31 foot sailboat in 1988. We had a couple of months to sell the house, all its contents, the horses, three cars, and a canoe. Maybe there was a little more. We bought a little Toyota pickup, rented a 4x8 uHaul trailer, and filled it with everything we had left. Figured that if our little adventure didn't work out, we could always go back to that other life and buy stuff again.

It was the best thing we ever did and actually made it much easier to move into the shiny thing twenty four years later.

You'll be fine.

-steve

Blog: My 57 Caravanner
pbearsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 04:23 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1990 25' Excella
Sisters , Oregon
Ken, Whitsend, Paula & Steve: Really great input from people who *know*. I really appreciate it.

Picture below of the only thing that I've bought so far - not too shiny, seems really practical and space-saving. Cheap.

Poppy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3355134261.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	196603  
WBCCI #4291

Grown men don't need leaders. ~ Edward Abbey
John&Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 05:12 PM   #14
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdmaestro View Post
Ken, Whitsend, Paula & Steve: Really great input from people who *know*. I really appreciate it.

Picture below of the only thing that I've bought so far - not too shiny, seems really practical and space-saving. Cheap.

Poppy
I have that set! Bowls and plates snap onto each other to make covered dishes for storing leftovers. The container it all comes in makes a good mixing bowl, too.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote