Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-31-2019, 05:49 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
Quote:
Originally Posted by leedav View Post
My door opens the other way. Is it a homicide door?

That is what I call a smart door. When the latch fails at highway speeds, the airstream keeps the door closed.

Hey, that sounds like a really smart way to design a travel trailer! We should make a whole line of trailers designed to stream through the air like that. Wonder what would we could call it?
skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 05:36 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2019 23' International
Portland , Oregon
Y'know I seriously doubt the airstream has better aero characteristics than a brick. I read all about how the resistance is low when you get rolling and only a few more HP for a bigger trailer and blah blah blah. I got 13 mpg with the Bambi. I get 9.8 with the 23. I bet the Bambi was still in the turbulent wake of the TV and the 23 has a big air suck behind it. Not to mention all the stuff sticking out the top. Wonder if a flapping side door would help or hinder...
leedav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 11:01 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
Boerne , Texas
My trusty door wedge. I wouldn't roll without it. I believe what happens is the trailer frame twists and rocks as you travel, and that has the potential of allowing the door to open when moving. I can't tell you for sure (since I always use this baby), but it has likely saved my trailer many times over the years. Cheap insurance is the way I look at it. (also keeps the young'uns out when parked at the house)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AS Door Wedge.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	351291  
maroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 03:33 PM   #24

2014 16' Sport
Hebron , Maryland
Thus ends the reading of the lesson 😇 Well done!
NVRAGN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 06:26 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2022 20' Basecamp
1968 17' Caravel
Los Osos , California
Goddess of Bungee gave us her solution.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Goddess of Bungee.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	314.2 KB
ID:	351317  
SilverWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 10:30 AM   #26
Nina Kay

2012 27' FB International
Dayton , Texas
TxTravelsUSA
I am so with you on the bathroom light switch being under the towel ring. And how many times have you flipped the gas water heater switch instead? I wonder if the designers are having fun???
NinaKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 05:17 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fair Play , South Carolina
I would expect the door dead bolt to hold since it is not spring loaded. Higher chance of other disasters than dead bolt failure.
Drewkonopka5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 07:08 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
The wedge is pretty cheap insurance, just in case. Would you spend $5 to save $3000 and time and hassle and stress?

For example: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f453...ml#post1799599
Trust me, the door will come open under certain circumstances even with the lock and deadbolt engaged. Cost me over $3,000 to replace the door when it opened going down the highway. I religiously use the notched piece of wood in the door handle now. It is foolproof
And another convert testifies here: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f453...ml#post1793716
We were warned about the door coming open. Didn't believe it till it happened to ME!!! Last year after stopping for lunch, I locked the trailer and got back on the road. within a half mile of getting on the interstate I looked back to see the door open and something fly out. The interstate was very bumpy and I had just gotten up to speed. We have the dead bolt lock and the door still came open. Jim was able to repair the door after reading the on line posting here about door repair ( big thanks to all who posted, esp. the photos). Door is not flush but it works.
Not all Airstreams come equipped with a deadbolt, especially older trailers, although you can add one to the door frame in some cases. However, this requires drilling out a sizable hole in the cast aluminum door, and with age, this cast aluminum can become more brittle, risking permanent damage to the door itself, to say nothing of structurally weakening the door where it is drilled out.

The root problem, of course, is the design of the suicide door itself, IMHO, a inexcusably daft and damnable decision. There are reasons AS went with such a design, but not good ones, and not ones that would outweigh the castastopic damage that ensues upon latch failure. For more on this, you can read my earlier post here.

The ultimate solution is for AS to tweak the floor plans to eliminate the suicide door on all models, as they have finally done with the FB models. RB models can also have intelligently designed fail-safe doors that will not catastrophically fail.
Old 02-19-2020, 04:51 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2017 19' International
Tallahassee , Florida
Oh, wow, something new to worry about!

Before I get out the saw and carve out a wedge, let me ask ... does it booger up the finish on the door and body?
WhereStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 04:55 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhereStream View Post

Before I get out the saw and carve out a wedge, let me ask ... does it booger up the finish on the door and body?

Not sure. If it does though, it’s probably to a lesser extent than having it fly open when driving.
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 05:37 AM   #31
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
"And God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the earth."
Then he made the earth round... and he laughed and laughed and laughed!😂

Duth thou not the death rod uze? It cometh on thy door from the Lord.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 02-19-2020, 07:22 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhereStream View Post

I can see no difference in finish on my door around the wedge. The wedge is made of wood rather than metal and it fits very firmly against the door so it is not constantly rubbing during transit.

I suppose if one was concerned, one could place a soft cloth between the wedge and the door, but you want to make sure that the rag itself would not flutter at speed and itself cause the very damage you were trying to avoid.
Old 02-19-2020, 08:17 AM   #33
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
I made a wedge many yrs. ago used once but after reading horror stories of doors coming open and damage, now I won't leave home with out in place. I firmly believe that so many doors are opening is the sad state that our rds. are in. I did not hear of maybe 1

in many yrs. of AS but rds. were in good condition, not now.If people are concerned about scratching w/wedge, just glue felt on back side but may that would scratch? IMHO wood would not.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 08:24 AM   #34
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
Excellent thread. Thanks Skyguy. Just goes to show, we can learn something new every day.

Some of those photo on the "WHY" thread are too funny. I love the duct tape and stick.

-Dennis
batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 07:23 AM   #35
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
I just made mine yesterday. Thanks for the links. This is great!
batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 03:56 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Pocatello , Idaho
We had an 86 34" Limited whose door flew open twice, guess we were slow learners! First time, fairly slow speed and a car overtook us with passenger waving, yelling, and pointing. Looked and sure enough the door was open. Stopped and locked, went on. No damage.

Next time was the weeping, wailing, and gnashing of teeth: door flew open on an Interstate at 65 mph. The door was deformed: straightened. We bungeed it shut and continued home. We were really lucky that the side of the trailer wasn't dented or damaged in any way.

When home, took the door off its hinges. We had a 500 gal propane tank in the back yard, put some blankets over it as a cushion, then rolled the door over it while applying pressure to top and bottom. Success! After a few tries to get the exact curve, it was good, so we remounted the door and breathed a sigh of relief. All's well that ends well.

Now I have thought ahead: I have been worried about towing my 67 Caravel from SoCal all the way home to Idaho and the suicide door thing. So dear Bubba made and sent to me a set of wedges so now I can sleep at night instead of worrying about weeping and wailing. Thank you Bubba!

Vivian
Landshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 05:28 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
Thanks for the compliment, Vivian. The wedge shown in the Byam photo is priceless in giving a bit of confidence that the door won't fly open when traveling. Problem is, it won't fit all Airstream grab bars. We found it would not work on our '55 because of a different style of grab bar. We had to play with a piece of wood until it worked. The first one is for the '55 and the second for the '66.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	thingy for 55.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	326.9 KB
ID:	366217   Click image for larger version

Name:	thingy for 66.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	299.3 KB
ID:	366218  

Name:	thingies.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	190.4 KB
ID:	366221  
Bubba L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 08:57 AM   #38
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Watertown , Massachusetts
If I can ask a dumb question - What keeps the wedge from popping out if you hit a bump? Just friction?
sallye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 09:32 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
North Central Texas , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
"And God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the earth."
Then he made the earth round... and he laughed and laughed and laughed!😂

Bob
🇺🇸
That is funny

Scotts approach to this design 'weakness' is great. Beats plain ole' gripe threads IMO.
RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 09:50 AM   #40
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by sallye View Post
If I can ask a dumb question - What keeps the wedge from popping out if you hit a bump? Just friction?
The wedge rests at the bottom of the grab bar and has to be rotated, flipped upright, to get it out. The 55 style grab handle is different and was concerned it would fall out. That’s why I put a clasp. But, have never heard of a typical wedge popping out.
Bubba L is offline   Reply With Quote