Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-18-2012, 01:07 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
The martini evolution or revolution

My wife is stocking the trailer with some strange looking bottles of liquor I don't even recognize (Whipped Cream Vodka).
We've been going to a lot of charity auctins lately and they usually have a pretty good "complimentary bar" to oil you up before the bidding begins. I've noticed that there is an explosion of drinks of all manner and they are calling them all martinis.
My FIL and I have from time to time enjoyed this drink at partys, but he would only WAVE the bottle of vermouth in front of the glass filled with gin, drop in an olive and call it good. He always said he liked his very dry. I agree and would call this traditional. I have two questions
1. Are these exotic drinks recently being called martinis a regional thing (Seattle, Portland)?
2. What do you stock your Airstream with?
Dorothy Parker was a very smart woman.
Dan
Old 04-18-2012, 02:14 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB International
LA LA Land... , California
Grey Goose here...
And, strictly speaking, a martini should have vermouth in it to bear the name.

Oh yeah, I forgot about the gin, scotch, Southern Comfort, etc., etc.
Mike91208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 02:21 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Grey Goose, straight up, 3 olives, "on the dry side".
I see the "martini thing happening here too, all kinds of concoctions! I’ve never ordered any so I have no idea what it is about.
My favorite time for a Martini is in the early evening before oysters at a favorite restaurant! It is certainly not an everyday (or even every week) indulgence.
Bruce
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 02:57 PM   #4
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by danlehosky View Post
1. Are these exotic drinks recently being called martinis a regional thing (Seattle, Portland)?
No, they are a nationwide fad.

They grew out of a trend of highbrow bars and restaurants coming up with unusual Martinis, mostly based on additions of fruit and garnishes to the foundation of gin or vodka plus vermouth.

Quote:
2. What do you stock your Airstream with?
I have a collection of perhaps a dozen pint (375mL) bottles of unusual liquors, mainly for guests, and standard sized bottles of the basics. I try to have a couple of bottles of wine on hand, and avoid beer simply because it's so bulky and heavy.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 03:13 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Sam drinks Grey Goose - but in the gimlet form. Me , I'm beer, wine and an occasional Tangueray and tonic.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 05:17 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
I'm a beer guy too. This is a good place to indulge. There are lots of taverns with an endless supply of locally produced ale. The Micro Breweries are almost as common as the coffee shops. Lots of wineries as well. These can be hit or miss.
Dan
Old 04-18-2012, 09:37 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
We usually carry vodka, run and tequila as staples and usually something like amaretto or kahlua and a spritzer with vermouth...and a variety of other mixers, depending...and oh, beer and a bottle of wine or two... When we have electricity we sometimes even take the blender so we can have frozen party drinks...mmmm. Those vintage portable bars are great for an Airstream. And we don't even drink that much...but gotta be prepared, y'know!
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 10:17 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
We always have in the trailer, Gin, Vodka a spritzer with Vermouth. We order Jalapeno stuffed olives from Granzellas in Calif and Pickled onions from McSweets in Seattle, WA. Travel with those in the fridge. Also have wine, some beer and Mikes. Just added a small blender, so will add some Maragrita stuff for our going home taco night. Baileys and Kahula is always good, but don't always carry them on a regular basis. Part of what we have onboard depends on the time of year, where we are going and any guests we think may show up.
sempi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 10:34 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' International CCD FB
Bay Area , California
Oh, danlehosky, you hit on one of my pet peeves. I'll even take it so far to say that a vodka martini is not a martini. It's a "vodka martini." A martini is *gin*, a splash of vermouth and a garnish. That's it. I just developed a website for a chain of restaurants that had a "Martini List" of nearly two dozen "martinis", and TWO of them actually contained gin. The rest were vodka plus something super sweet and fruity or something chocolatey. Grrr. If that's what people want to drink, fine, but don't call it a "martini".

Not sure why I get so up in arms about it. I'm a bourbon and Scotch Whisky girl myself. Give me a Manhattan, a Sazarac, or a Lagavulin (neat), please.

My husband doesn't drink, but I have a small "bar" (rubbermaid container under the bed) with what I consider my essentials:
Single Malt Scotch Whisky (distillery varies, but always highlands and peaty), Eagle Rare Bourbon, Pisco, Angustura and Peychaud's bitters, Antica Formula Carpano Vermouth, Guinness. (I also picked up a awesome apple brandy when we were in NM, and have been making my own concoction of apple brandy, maple syrup and bitters).
KerriO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 10:58 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
KerriO, Under the bed?????? I agree I don't drink them much either except with my FIL and his are just really Gin with an olive. I was just curious if this was just another west coast trend.
Cheers,
Dan
Old 04-18-2012, 11:23 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Thousand Oaks , California
Try the "Liz Taylor"...

Chill the glass with ice and water, dump

Spray the glass with Vermouth using a Chanel perfume spritzer

Pour in the ice gold vodka or gin

Garnish with olives

By the third you will be sh*t faced, so don't get in your TV and head for town.
SoCal Drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 11:23 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

Bay Area , California
Well, we fulltiime so are low on cabinet space. The placement of the booze does not reflect upon its status, however. It *is* in the most accessible spot under the bed if that counts for anything! ;-)

ETA: Liz could do it right.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:36 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
i like to drink martinis
Two at the very most
Three I'm under the table
Four I'm under the host
Dorothy Parker

I'm warming to the under the bed spot for storage. Conveinence and function.

SoCal Dave, I've wanted to try Liz Taylor for 40 years.
Dan
Old 04-18-2012, 11:40 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

Bay Area , California
They're insidious, those martiis-- basically a glassful of pure hard liqueur but fancier looking.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:41 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Eugene , Oregon
1) As stated several times before a martini is gin, dry vermouth and an olive. My preferred prep is to add the vermouth, turn the shaker over a couple of times, dump out the liquid and then add the vodka. There will still be some vermouth coating the ice, but it will be a dry martini. Anything to meeting the definition in the first sentence, though served up a martini glass is not a martini.

2) Minor POI, Lagavulin is from Islay and so it's not a Highland scotch. That said, it is peaty, it is wonderful and it is my favorite scotch.
phbarnhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 11:54 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
KeriO, Insidious???? I think a better word would be effective. Thats why I don't drink them much. I really like the good gin my FIL gets. It's biting and almost medicinal tasting. You're right tho it's simply pure spirits. I don't at all like the candy like sweetness of the new fruity varieties that are being called martinis. And BTW the first three drinks are always "neat", after that it depends.....
Dan
Old 04-19-2012, 12:00 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
I'm feelin' good just reading about it!

And OK...I'll start taking gin to keep the purists among us happy!
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 12:06 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
Well this thread has taken on quite a life tonight, much more interesting than the usual black water tank leak problem posts but I must go to bed. I'm heading down to San Carlos tomorrow to visit an old college bud to see his new grand daughter. Not taking the AS, it's in the shop.
Cheers,
Dan
Old 04-19-2012, 04:57 AM   #19
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
I drink very little but for some reason I find this thread interesting. Please continue, thanks jim.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 08:57 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

Bay Area , California
Phbarnhart, you're right! I had my Scotland regions all mixed up (Islay and Jura whisky always seemed like the highest of highs to me, tastewise). And, looking at the map, it looks like Speyside could be considered Highlands. It is my least favorite region.

Here is the infuriating conversation I get into with my dad when he visits:
Me: You want a glass of whisky?
Dad: No, I like Scotch
Me: That's fine. I'll pour you a glass of Scotch whisky.
Dad: No, I don't want whisky, I want. Scotch!

I've even gone so far as to draw him. A whiskey family tree, and he still refuses to believe scotch is a whisky (even though it says so right on the bottle). Oh well, he likes the blended stuff anyway, and I never have that on hand.