Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-09-2012, 08:02 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
The 'I Love my New Airstream' thread...

OK,
This is a thread for those of us who really like our New Airstreams.
I would ask that we keep this to just the positives! If you want to critique please find another thread to do so.

I will begin!

We love our 2012 16' International Serenity! It is cute as a button, easy to tow, it is very comfortable to live in (10 day max so far) easy to maintain (I come from the world of saltwater sailing so I know how difficult maintenance can be!!!) and all in all a very good addition to our lives. The dealer experience has been great and thus far my expectations have been exceeded!
We love the decore and we the very cool look of the trailer!
Bruce
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 08:52 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce B
OK,
This is a thread for those of us who really like our New Airstreams.
I would ask that we keep this to just the positives! If you want to critique please find another thread to do so.

I will begin!

We love our 2012 16' International Serenity! It is cute as a button, easy to tow, it is very comfortable to live in (10 day max so far) easy to maintain (I come from the world of saltwater sailing so I know how difficult maintenance can be!!!) and all in all a very good addition to our lives. The dealer experience has been great and thus far my expectations have been exceeded!
We love the decore and we the very cool look of the trailer!
Bruce
We agree! This is the morning of our last night of our first long journey. Eight nights total. We also have a 2012 16' Bambi sport! It's perfect. In fact we just woke up to beautiful sunshine and are right now lying on the comfortable mattress smelling the pine trees through our windows!

This week we've towed it up to 11,000 feet with no problem. We've boondocked for two nights and three days at a time on stored water and everything was great. that included four total showers and normal usage. Our airstream can scoot into great spots and give us a great time.

Great use of space and storage, too. The only thing that would make this airstream better would be an expansion modular system like a habitrail" system for gerbils. Pop another unit on as you need it- pop it off when you don't!

Happy trails to all!
BAAMbi7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 09:30 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Count us in, these new trailers are beautifully designed and nicely finished. Easy to tow, tracks straight and smooth in weather, easy to move and set up. Visitors are pleasantly surprised at its interior design, love the overall design. "Do they still make these?" Spent six months in the Southwest this winter and enjoyed the trailer immensely.

Have learned that inspection and maintenance are the key to continued happiness, inevitable leaks and corrosion must be managed (all RV's). Treat all rivets, cut edges, fittings, wheels, and underbody steel with CorrosionX and/or Boeshield the day you bring it home and quarterly thereafter. Get a moisture detection meter (about $50), use it quarterly and you will catch floor moisture and rot before it happens. Use covered storage if possible or treat sealants and plastic parts with UV protectant quarterly. Do a thorough quarterly inspection of the trailer. Many good RV dealers now offer pressure leak tests for about $150, do it annually. Keep it clean of dirt and especially coastal and winter salt. Use the two year warranty period to get everything fixed, then have leaks, corrosion, or failed parts fixed as found. You won't end up on those "other" threads and it will last a lifetime.

New Airstreams are fun, and even more fun when they become vintage and you still have it.

Doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 09:52 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Medford , Southern Oregon
DH and I are hoping to buy a 25' International but have been off put by so many threads regarding quality control and skin issues. The nearest dealer to us is 2.5 hours away and the thought of continuous trips there to sort out warranty issues isn't exactly what we had in mind. We have owned three previous travel trailers and I don't remember having any leaking issues or any warranty issues for that matter.

Looking forward to hearing some positive posts and am wondering if perhaps there is a detailed sticky note regarding proactive maintenance that dkottum has mentioned?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
SNIP:

Have learned that inspection and maintenance are the key to continued happiness, inevitable leaks and corrosion must be managed (all RV's). Treat all rivets, cut edges, fittings, wheels, and underbody steel with CorrosionX and/or Boeshield the day you bring it home and quarterly thereafter. Get a moisture detection meter (about $50), use it quarterly and you will catch floor moisture and rot before it happens. Use covered storage if possible or treat sealants and plastic parts with UV protectant quarterly. Do a thorough quarterly inspection of the trailer. Many good RV dealers now offer pressure leak tests for about $150, do it annually. Keep it clean of dirt and especially coastal and winter salt. Use the two year warranty period to get everything fixed, then have leaks, corrosion, or failed parts fixed as found. You won't end up on those "other" threads and it will last a lifetime
Doug k
sakthorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 10:03 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
I love my Airstream because it reminds me of the original advertisement for Microsoft....."Where Do You Want to Go Today?"

One of my friends happens to be an airline pilot or "transporter of aluminum tubing" as he calls it. Before purchasing the Airstream, I always felt somewhat left out when others were flying off somewhere. Now I can escape in my aluminum tube too - even if it is up to the local RV Park to enjoy their pool for a couple of days.

The FaN is also my escapemobile when it's just sitting in the driveway. An air-conditioned reteat to read, sleep or work when it's hot - or a cozy warm cocoon when it's cold. When I shut the FaN's door, I shut out the world.

Good thread, Bruce.

And thank-you dkottum, for that invaluable maintenance information!
Old 06-09-2012, 10:27 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
I have nothing bad to say about my 1981 27' Excella as I read this thread in beautiful Jersey Shore Haven Airstream Park. Sal.
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 10:35 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2012 23' Flying Cloud
Sacramento , California
moisture meter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Count us in, these new trailers are beautifully designed and nicely finished. Easy to tow, tracks straight and smooth in weather, easy to move and set up. Visitors are pleasantly surprised at its interior design, love the overall design. "Do they still make these?" Spent six months in the Southwest this winter and enjoyed the trailer immensely.

Have learned that inspection and maintenance are the key to continued happiness, inevitable leaks and corrosion must be managed (all RV's). Treat all rivets, cut edges, fittings, wheels, and underbody steel with CorrosionX and/or Boeshield the day you bring it home and quarterly thereafter. Get a moisture detection meter (about $50), use it quarterly and you will catch floor moisture and rot before it happens. Use covered storage if possible or treat sealants and plastic parts with UV protectant quarterly. Do a thorough quarterly inspection of the trailer. Many good RV dealers now offer pressure leak tests for about $150, do it annually. Keep it clean of dirt and especially coastal and winter salt. Use the two year warranty period to get everything fixed, then have leaks, corrosion, or failed parts fixed as found. You won't end up on those "other" threads and it will last a lifetime.

New Airstreams are fun, and even more fun when they become vintage and you still have it.

Doug k
I thought that your suggestion of using a moisture meter was a great idea because we would like to catch leaks at the very start before the damage was "visible". After searching these devices I discovered that there is a huge number of options and prices. Do you have any recommendations based on your experience? Thanks!
Dillon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 10:46 AM   #8
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
I've given a few sharp critiques in the other post, and I'm no longer in the infatuation stage. Nothing is perfect and I don't intend to sugarcoat.

If I was buying again Airstream would be on my short list of trailers.

I have eight year old Airstream 25, owned since new. The positives:

1. In my opinion the clear coated aluminum panels are quite exceptional for their durability and resistance to UV exposure. After eight years of being outdoors the trailer looks beautiful and probably indistinguishable from new. I have friends with similar age boxes, and they look much more weathered than my Airstream. Its a gorgeous rv compared to many.

2. The interior materials seem to be of good quality and have held up well. The upholstery fends off spills. The faucets and sinks are high quality. The shower is sturdy, doesn't flex, and is the nicest RV shower I've seen. Certain little things may be the product of long history, such as furnace as far from bed as possible, making it quieter for sleeping.

3. The floorplan is attractive and still looks great to me. Any time my mind wanders to other RVs, almost invariably they don't look as nice inside as my Airstream.

4. It tows great. It handles winds great and I attribute its shape to two mpg increase over a big ugly plywood box.

5. It has sturdy white aluminum roof, not some rubber product over thin wood.

6. The running gear is as good as any.

7. The awning is high quality.
tpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 10:54 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Moisture Meter

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/...ter-83258.html
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 10:56 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Loretto , Ontario
We love our 2011 Classic. It's our winter home in Florida and summer retreat in Canada. We use it a lot. Very few problems. Our dealer, CanAm has been excellent. I would defiantly recommend Airstream. Yes it will require maintenance but what doesn't ?
Naper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 11:05 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
I love my new Airstream because...... It's like a fresh canvas. I'ts my peaceful getaway, even in the driveway. I can see Mt Rainier and the Puget Sound from my seat in the Dinette. I like listening to the music on my i-phone, sometimes at full volume. Bruce, thanks for starting this thread.

Dan
Old 06-09-2012, 11:17 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2011 23' International
clovis , California
I love my 2011 international.
Every time I'm in an airport I find myself grumbling "I could be in my airstream!"
Everyone who has ever stepped into it immediately remarks " how cool" (or something similar)
I love the "man cave" concept.
I love taking my son to baseball and golf tournaments.
I love when my wife makes little adjustments to make it more homey.
It has produced my best Return on investment in the past decade!
jgerardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 12:54 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 25' International CCD FB
Northridge , California
I love my new to me Airstream cuz its S H I N Y
LiLNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 01:05 PM   #14
The Bean

2008 22' Safari
Glen Ellyn , Illinois
How to pay for college? Sell airstream or sell one of the kids... Hmmmmm, not sure.
mcipriano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 08:46 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Well!
I wondered just how many would respond....
I'd have bet more. Maybe the rest of the people who love their Airstreams are out Airstreaming?
Bruce
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 08:50 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
floral park , New York
I agree..... I love my new AS. Only 5 nights so far, but she is beautiful, clean and all mine.
cmstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 10:29 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
San Bernardino , California
Still loving it after 5 months of use. Had a few fixes, but they were taken care of at a top-notch repair center, under warranty, and I learned things in the process. It has made a great beach condo for 4 trips, so far. Next week I get to test out the a/c in the Palm Springs heat. At home it is my favorite place for a relaxing afternoon nap. And I never tire of looking at the inside aluminum walls of my retro-modern spaceship 1st class cabin.

Yes, they are pricey, but as long as I keep using it I am actually saving money over what it would cost to stay in a decent hotel. And it wouldn't be as much fun.
Rich of SCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 06:09 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Lilburn , Georgia
I agree. Our 7 year old 25' International looks great. The PO took great care of it, but it was used and was not kept under roof. We have done some maintenance things, but mostly are having fun. We do want to replace the tires because of age not any blowouts.
BeachHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 06:53 AM   #19

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
We love our 06 19" Bambi! Had it for two years and looks and operates great! Love it!
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 07:08 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Indian Harbor Beach , Florida
We loved our AS (Belle), due to 3 back surgeries between hubby and I, we had to send her to live with another couple who absolutely adore her. We now own a Lexington class B+, its nice, but no Airstream. As you can tell by me still reading the forum, I miss the Airstreaming life (and it is different than regular rving!)...one day we will own another one, no doubt about it.....

Andi
kidsgone is offline   Reply With Quote