Old 06-03-2016, 11:33 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Austin , Texas
Pine-Sol.................GAG!

WAAAYYYY
to strong of a smell for me.

Eco approach works great.

You know what they say folks - the sense of smell is the first to go from getting old!

Like folks having 28 "air fresheners" all over the house, in vehicles and use those "fragrant" dryer sheets and use gallons of FeBreze...............then wear quarts of cologne and perfume.

GAG!

Old 06-03-2016, 11:42 AM   #16
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7GenTex View Post
Eco approach works great.

You know what they say folks - the sense of smell is the first to go from getting old!
I don't remember anyone ever saying that before.

However, I have learned from way back when I was just six years old— with a weekend job herding cattle in and out of an auction ring at the local stockyards— if you can get past the first three minutes of any smell, you start to get used to it because your scent receptors get desensitized from constant exposure. At least until the next time you're exposed to it after being away from the smell for a while, when you have to get past the first three minutes again. That lesson was reinforced in my teenage years working at a service station around gasoline fumes, and later still working around creosote and hot asphalt at the Corps of Engineers.

The first thing to go is your memory. As in, "When the memory goes, you can just forget it!"

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 08:17 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Chillicothe , Ohio
Pine-sol ... Was my Moms cleaner of choice.
Signed
Child of the 50/60s

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 06-09-2016, 08:52 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1996 25' Excella
Tillsonburg , Ontario
Pine-sol probably has antiseptic properties. Many years ago we used Pine-sol in dish washing rinse water at Scout Camp for the same reason we now require a bleach rinse. At least Chlorine evaporates. Pine-sol ingredients stick around. But if it works for some in their waste tanks, it's at least better than formaldehyde and smells better too.
JCW
Old 06-18-2016, 04:59 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
Pinesol also contains pine oil. I used just Pinesol years ago, and then when had the tanks cleaned in my '94 LY moho, I was told to use an enzyme-type product. I did so, but last year the waste tank in my Excella "impacted" (the nice word for totally blocked). After spending $$$ to have a clean-out service use a power washer for over 2 hours to break out the solidified, concrete-like, waste, they recommended making up the following concoction which works well: in a gallon jug, pour in a 48-oz bottle of Pinesol, dilute it with 48-oz of water and toss in a cup of Calgon bath beads. Actually, you have to be very careful and add the Calgon v-e-r-y slowly as it foams right up. The treatment is 8-oz of this mixture in the waste tank after every dump, and I also put 4-oz into the wash tank. This mixture also lubricates the valves.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 02:58 PM   #20

Houston , Texas
Basic Geo

We have used the GEO method for about 2 years, we live and travel fulltime in our AS. We simply use the liquid Calgon, available at Walmart for $6 in small size white plastic jug, about 2 or 3 caps per tank, added periodically as the tank fills, the Sun brand [Tropical breeze smells great, also good for cleaning toilet bowl] or other cheap liquid washing machine soap. About two caps or so per tank, added periodically, good to suds it up a bit. Then an occasional shot of bleach. We use the bleach sparingly as the AS Factory says it can harm the tank seals. Calgon and soap in the gray tank occasionally. [ AlSO: Remember for those that have them, run that internal sprayer in the tank every time you dump. ]
Old 06-21-2017, 07:29 PM   #21
DMT
4 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
East Coast , Newfoundland
Well....well... for six years the black tank sensor has not worked - never registered a level above empty. Always had to use the flashlight down the toilet trick.

Came across this thread and it peaked my interest. So I filled the black tank with fresh water and added some Calgon and Dawn. In one day (one day!) the black tank sensor came alive and registered 1/2 full. In two days it is registering 3/4. Tomorrow we leave for a trip and will dump the tank in the way out of town. I'm interested to see if reads full before we leave.

Seems like there must have been buildup on the tank wall which interfered with the ability of the sensor to read the liquid level, but now the magic Calgon has allowed the standing water to dissolve most if not all of the buildup. I'm astonished.

Holy c__p!
Old 06-21-2017, 07:47 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

Fair Oaks Ranch , Texas
We use the Geo method with great results. Our black tank is 18.5 gallons. After dumping I put a capful of Calgon and a detergent pod down the toilet with a good flush. If we're not going out for a few weeks or more I put Happy Campers tank treatment in both black and gray. Mike
2016 Oliver Legacy Elite II #135
2016 Ram 1500 5.7L
MikeandCarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 05:53 AM   #23
ShinyPete

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Bushnell , Florida
Another vote for the Geo method from our Shiny Pete. We started when Pete came home in late '13 and all through '14 with packs and all sorts of other rv tank treatments, and sometimes had a noticeable smell, especially when he sat for a few days with some ummm..... waste? in the black tank.

We live in Central Florida, and camp no matter the temp (meaning it's hot most of the time), and that made it worse. And in July, Pete spends a month near the gulf coast, and we don't dump the black tank until it's 2/3 full. Hardly ever did on any rv. Like was said above, you'd open the door, and sure enough, a not pleasant odor would greet you. (And yes, I checked that all my pipe connections and roof vents were fine)

Went to Geo, Bam, smell is gone, cost is lower, and we were sold. Also, someone mentioned "grey" tank can stink too. It surely can. I'm rather anal about what goes in there (wipe plates with paper towels so less food, etc.), but you're always gonna get hair, sunscreen, and all sorts of body "goo". So, I started doing up a gallon bucket of "geo" (1 cap of Calgon, and a shot of blue dawn - no bleach), and putting into all three grey drains when Pete sits. This gets a nice amount in the grey tank, and it sits in the "P-traps" of both sinks and the shower. Bam, fixed that too.

Hope this helps.