Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle

Old 06-03-2016, 10:33 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member
Vintage Kin Owner
Austin , Texas

to strong of a smell for me.

Eco approach works great.

You know what they say folks - the sense of smell is the first to go from getting old!

Like folks having 28 "air fresheners" all over the house, in vehicles and use those "fragrant" dryer sheets and use gallons of FeBreze...............then wear quarts of cologne and perfume.

1966 T-27 Avion
2016 Chevy 2 WD Tahoe LS w/tow package - 3.42 axle - ProPride hitch
7GenTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 10:42 AM   #16
Figment of My Imagination
2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Originally Posted by 7GenTex View Post
Eco approach works great.

You know what they say folks - the sense of smell is the first to go from getting old!
I don't remember anyone ever saying that before.

However, I have learned from way back when I was just six years old— with a weekend job herding cattle in and out of an auction ring at the local stockyards— if you can get past the first three minutes of any smell, you start to get used to it because your scent receptors get desensitized from constant exposure. At least until the next time you're exposed to it after being away from the smell for a while, when you have to get past the first three minutes again. That lesson was reinforced in my teenage years working at a service station around gasoline fumes, and later still working around creosote and hot asphalt at the Corps of Engineers.

The first thing to go is your memory. As in, "When the memory goes, you can just forget it!"

WBCCI #1105

Engineering: Finding complex solutions to simple problems you didn't even know you had.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 07:17 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Chillicothe , Ohio
Pine-sol ... Was my Moms cleaner of choice.
Child of the 50/60s

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Cispook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 07:52 AM   #18
Rivet Master
1996 25' Excella
Tillsonburg , Ontario
Pine-sol probably has antiseptic properties. Many years ago we used Pine-sol in dish washing rinse water at Scout Camp for the same reason we now require a bleach rinse. At least Chlorine evaporates. Pine-sol ingredients stick around. But if it works for some in their waste tanks, it's at least better than formaldehyde and smells better too.
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 03:59 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
Pinesol also contains pine oil. I used just Pinesol years ago, and then when had the tanks cleaned in my '94 LY moho, I was told to use an enzyme-type product. I did so, but last year the waste tank in my Excella "impacted" (the nice word for totally blocked). After spending $$$ to have a clean-out service use a power washer for over 2 hours to break out the solidified, concrete-like, waste, they recommended making up the following concoction which works well: in a gallon jug, pour in a 48-oz bottle of Pinesol, dilute it with 48-oz of water and toss in a cup of Calgon bath beads. Actually, you have to be very careful and add the Calgon v-e-r-y slowly as it foams right up. The treatment is 8-oz of this mixture in the waste tank after every dump, and I also put 4-oz into the wash tank. This mixture also lubricates the valves.

AIR 12148
1987 Excella 32-foot
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote