Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-06-2014, 06:01 PM   #81
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Jacksonville , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
Camping Dogs... I love the handle!

#1 You are looking for an Airstream for... your dogs. Not for yourselves.

There are some excellent deals on used 4 to 6 year old Airstreams! They sell fast as the previous owners some times only used them several weeks a year. When we purchased our new 2014, a used 2010 25 foot came up on Craigs List that looked absolutely perfect... but too late for us. It has sold since then.

Used Airstreams. You will pay more than the RV used price guide indicates for loan value by 2X, 3X or more... that is because it is an Airstream and holds its value. If you are lucky, find a local AS owner to help you look it over. They know what to look for. Trust me, you do after 8 years.

Good luck and welcome to the happiest trailer owners in the world! After covering for the purchase price, it is all forgotten. When you tire of the trailer... ours sold in three days and it was not cheap.

Thanks for the advice! Yes will do tons of research before our purchase, however we are a bit afraid of used because we are not as handy as y'all seem to be. ( maybe we'll get better with practice) :-).....
Yes :-) we are looking for a way to vacation all of us including our furry family :-) plus we do not like to fly at all! So this seems perfect! So exciting.....
Old 12-07-2014, 11:23 AM   #82
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
Camping Dogs... I love the handle!

#1 You are looking for an Airstream for... your dogs. Not for yourselves.

There are some excellent deals on used 4 to 6 year old Airstreams! They sell fast as the previous owners some times only used them several weeks a year. When we purchased our new 2014, a used 2010 25 foot came up on Craigs List that looked absolutely perfect... but too late for us. It has sold since then.

Used Airstreams. You will pay more than the RV used price guide indicates for loan value by 2X, 3X or more... that is because it is an Airstream and holds its value. If you are lucky, find a local AS owner to help you look it over. They know what to look for. Trust me, you do after 8 years.

Good luck and welcome to the happiest trailer owners in the world! After covering for the purchase price, it is all forgotten. When you tire of the trailer... ours sold in three days and it was not cheap.
For whatever it's worth, I just bought a 1996 34' Excella 1000, from the original owner, it's been towed less than 5,000, since new. After new skylights, tires, brakes, and an interior redo, it'll be on the road for under $30,000.

So my next decision is which one do I sell, the 1996 34 footer, or the 2001, 30 footer?

Larry
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 11:58 AM   #83
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry C View Post

So my next decision is which one do I sell, the 1996 34 footer, or the 2001, 30 footer?

Larry
Oh Larry just keep them all and get a "Fleet Discount" on your insurance.....
Sorry could not resist.....lol

Cheers
Doug
Old 12-08-2014, 06:35 AM   #84
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticfox View Post
Oh Larry just keep them all and get a "Fleet Discount" on your insurance.....
Sorry could not resist.....lol

Cheers
Doug

Ah yes, and that brings up another subject........insurance. I just went to war with "Good Sam" regarding that, after getting a rate increase of more than 75% over the past two years, I finally wised up and went to Allstate.....

I'm trying to convince my wife that we should completed customize the 34, and go full time, but it seems to be an up hill fight....life is good...

Larry C
Old 12-08-2014, 06:46 AM   #85
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Larry been with Allstate for years, great company and if you can find the right agent they do amazing things.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 06:49 AM   #86
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Camping Dogs, we bought our first RV a pop up so we could take our dog with us, then dogs, so we moved up to SOB TT, then Airstreams, then motorhome and now another AS, all for the dogs and along the way we developed a true love of camping and especially Airstreams. We always take our dog(s), singular now, but I volunteer at a rescue as a trainer and rehabilitator and I am confident that one day I will bring another one home. My wife volunteers as a walker and she falls in love with all of them.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 07:15 AM   #87
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
The only added expense to our Airstream lifestyle is the trailer itself. We camped anyway before having an Airstream trailer. Our other trailer had $2,400 owed on it. We tent camped before we had the first trailer. I don't include cost of food because we were going to eat anyway if we stayed home. The gas and campsite fees are negligible because we would use the gas doing something else and instead of camping fees we would go to the movies or to the mall. Not everyone camps in an $80,000 trailer, though- or any trailer as far as that goes-
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 07:33 AM   #88
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by paiceman View Post
Larry been with Allstate for years, great company and if you can find the right agent they do amazing things.
We've had our home and vehicles with Allstate, but years ago, I was "brainwashed" to believe the "Good Sam" RV insurance was a good way to save a few bucks by taking the collision coverage off when we were not traveling.

During the past two years, Good Sam had increased our premiums substantially, and it became more and more of a hassle to put the AS in "storage" mode.

Come to find out, I can do the same thing with Allstate, for nearly 50% less premium....Good Sam, just isn't the customer friendly company that it was when they were a part of Trailer Life....

Larry