Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-20-2015, 01:07 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
Brooksville , Florida
Tampa RV Show

SHOCKED that RVOne,,,,formerly bates had NO Airstrmeans at the show I've sold a few in the last 30ys.....with no commission, as poeple have met met on the road,,,,,,,,took the tour of mine and bought one!
DFDureiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 01:09 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
Brooksville , Florida
I asked the salesman.......he said they had lots of Airstreams 10 miles up the road,,,,,,,which it true
DFDureiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 01:12 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Airstreams are pretty rare at RV shows and realistically they represent less than 1% of the total RV market.

With a very long backlog, Airstream doesn't need to spend money supporting dealers to bring their trailers to those shows.

Also, who wants to buy a trailer that thousands of people have walked through?
Old 06-20-2015, 02:28 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2015 27' FB Eddie Bauer
2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fernandina Beach , Florida
The Tampa RV super show in January had about 15 Airstreams and (it seemed) countless RV One sales people. Tim Maxwell and a few others from Airstream were also there. They managed to convince us we needed a new Airstream, and a month or two later we ordered. They were right! : )
Joe
jayseejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 03:57 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Sometimes these RV shows are sponsored by one mega dealer and it appears that it is open to all dealers. Could this be the case?
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 02:30 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , ^
I just got back from the 2016 Tampa Super RV Show. Checked out mostly the Airstream exhibit... of course. Nice display.

It was fun just listening to the sales people go through their pitch to prospective buyers. From listening (eavesdropping) I learned that Airstreams are the best insulated trailers in the world, and that they are designed for well below freezing temperatures. "If you were in Minnesota in January, you would be very comfortable living and traveling in your Airstream." I did not know that!

Still, best looking travel trailers out of the 1000's there. I was hoping to go there with my Powerball winnings, but alas... I could only window shop.

Always fun to wander around and compare the fit and finish of an Airstream to a white box. Biased? Me? No way!

Sneakinup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 03:22 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2015 27' FB Eddie Bauer
2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fernandina Beach , Florida
Sneakinup - was there a Pendleton model at the Tampa show? Thanks in advance. Best, Joe
jayseejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 04:09 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , ^
No, I didn't see any Pendleton models, nor did I see that really high end one with the Italian designed interior. I think that one is old news now.

Old 01-14-2016, 07:13 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneakinup View Post
I just got back from the 2016 Tampa Super RV Show. Checked out mostly the Airstream exhibit... of course. Nice display.

It was fun just listening to the sales people go through their pitch to prospective buyers. From listening (eavesdropping) I learned that Airstreams are the best insulated trailers in the world, and that they are designed for well below freezing temperatures. "If you were in Minnesota in January, you would be very comfortable living and traveling in your Airstream." I did not know that!

Still, best looking travel trailers out of the 1000's there. I was hoping to go there with my Powerball winnings, but alas... I could only window shop.

Always fun to wander around and compare the fit and finish of an Airstream to a white box. Biased? Me? No way!
Ha. They dont leak either
Mixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 07:27 PM   #10
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
I you didn't catch the thread about the new Pendleton model, it supplied a link to a video on YouTube with a salesman commenting on all the virtues of it being so well built that "little to no maintenance is ever needed."

Sir Tristan
Air #48582, S/SO #003, WBCCI #4584
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 09:12 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2008 34' Classic S/O
Arnprior , Ontario
Judy and I were at the show yesterday. We too focused on the A/S display, which was impressive. We sat in the 30' Classic for a half hour listening to the sales pitch from a salesman who didnt know his butt from a hole in the ground! There were two ladies there who were very interested in purchasing one and he was embarasing to listen to. He was in the top of the line product and could not explain the operation of the electric table, did not know where the switch was, did not know how to make up the bed......... on and on! When he failed to have the answer he just made up a story. Finally the A/S rep came in and saved him. The salesman was classic of what is wrong with Airstreams, that is weak dealers. Be it in aftersales service or during the sales process. These are not $20,000.00 cars that they are selling. They are a technical sell that requires a higher level of product knowledge and technical skill that supports the various systems from the tires up. Not simply the abillity to direct the pruchaser to "press hard, youre making three copies" It was sad to watch for both the buyers and the seller.
Pete
S/OS#88
white laker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 12:03 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , ^
Just returned from the Tampa RV Show. I've never missed one in the last 15 years. Of course, the Airstream display is my favorite. :P

Once again, I stood there quietly listening to a salesperson telling a potential Airstream buyer how the aluminum under skin WILL NOT ALLOW any rodents, roaches, insects... or anything into the trailer. He even reached under and banged on it to show how solid it was. It was quite a display of salesmanship... which had me cringing, as I have been in professional sales all my life. Hopefully, the potential buyer did a little research and found the Airforums. In this new world where facts don't really seem to matter, it's nice to know we can get the real scoop here on the forums.

Old 01-22-2017, 03:40 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
A year ago we went to the Houston RV show, where they had three Airstreams. Shows seem to be places where either the company is introducing something new or the dealer is after prospects.

Pete has a good point. Several years ago, when we were in the early stages of researching, the local Airstream dealer had a big event at the dealership where they had factory people present for every line they sold. Their salespeople really didn't know Airstreams - except for ONE man. The other sales people at least knew to point Airstream questions to him. He has since moved on, and I wouldn't even think of buying anything from that company.
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 04:16 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1998 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Shepherdstown , West Virginia
I was at the Tampa RV Show and met Justin Humphreys, Director of Marketing. Super nice guy and pleasure to speak with. I ask him if they had plans to make another Class A motorhome. He said not really but they will be offering the Class B Interstate model with slide-outs soon.
Mike1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 04:57 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
One of these days someone will invent the internet... and drone cameras...

And 40 years later salesmen will STILL be passing hot wind from both ends of their bodies simultaneously

Under promise and over perform is only a comcept that has value to someone who doesn't want to change jobs every six months.