Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-25-2012, 08:58 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 22' Sport
Plano , Texas
Question Switching propane oven out with the mw/convenction oven

We have a new 2012 FC 25FB that came with the propane oven. I would like to have the MW/Convection oven instead.

Has anyone done this in their AS or had it done?

Any ideas on the costs involved?

Thanks,

Deb
Deb Trimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:00 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
There is another recent thread that is just the oposite story of yours. They have a new Airstream with the MW/Convection oven and are in the process of having the factory swap it for a gas oven.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:58 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
Our friends are swapping the MW/Convection oven out for the propane oven, and we are swapping our propane one out for the MW/Convection oven (we are buying the old one from them.) Do you not want the MW?Convection for boondocking purposes? Or some other reason? We use the oven so seldom, and usually use the stovetop, which we will still be able to. Why are you doing it? Maybe I need to think it out further!
Skatiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 04:33 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Hinckley , Ohio
My trailer has the oven. I had wanted a MW/C.

I had asked the dealer about the MW/convection. He stated to me that the oven is for boondocking because it only uses propane.

A MW/C would need 110 volts of at least 1500 watts.
Bigventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:41 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2012 30' Flying Cloud
Box Elder , USA
We have a 30' 2012 Flying Cloud and just swapped out the propane oven for a MW/C and we are glad we did. We also gained two large draws where the MW had been next the the oven with the change over. The reason for the change is that my wife did not like lighting the oven. The cost was $1900. Good luck. Jimbo
Old 09-26-2012, 06:34 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 22' Sport
Plano , Texas
Bigventure,

We don't boondock for that long of a time that doing without the oven a few days is not an issue and we have a Honda 3000 generator.

Thanks.
Deb
Old 09-26-2012, 06:52 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 22' Sport
Plano , Texas
MW/C and Propane Oven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skatiero View Post
Our friends are swapping the MW/Convection oven out for the propane oven, and we are swapping our propane one out for the MW/Convection oven (we are buying the old one from them.) Do you not want the MW?Convection for boondocking purposes? Or some other reason? We use the oven so seldom, and usually use the stovetop, which we will still be able to. Why are you doing it? Maybe I need to think it out further!
Skatiero,

We bought a MW and tried it for 6 weeks. We placed it on the nightstand between our two twins. It just bugs me to see it sitting out taking up space. Also, I don't use the oven much. We live in Texas and camp in Texas, too. You can't use a propane oven from May to October because it heats up the cabin too much. We grill then and whenever we dry camp for a few days. We also have a Honda 3000 generator for dry camping. Lastly, I use the MW a lot for reheating plates of food, cooking vegetables, and baking casseroles. I usually try to cook enough for 2 meals and then have one to reheat since it is just the two of us.

Great that you have someone you can switch out with. Hopefully, you will save some money. Are you going to do the work or have it done? Any price quotes that you would share?

Thanks for your reply.
Old 09-26-2012, 07:12 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 22' Sport
Plano , Texas
MW/C and Propane Oven

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo1087 View Post
We have a 30' 2012 Flying Cloud and just swapped out the propane oven for a MW/C and we are glad we did. We also gained two large draws where the MW had been next the the oven with the change over. The reason for the change is that my wife did not like lighting the oven. The cost was $1900. Good luck. Jimbo
Jimbo,

Thanks for sharing the information. We hate to hear that it costs that much. In the 2012 25FB Flying Cloud we won't gain any extra drawers because it did not come with a MW. When we purchased this July, I knew I would probably end up wanting to change it. Looks like the current setup is all one piece so we will have to buy a new range top, also. Would you mind sharing a little more info?
Did you have it done by an Airstream Company? How much was labor? Costs of appliances?

We were going to Oregon in our 22ft Sport when we stopped at Northwest Airstream in Boise, ID. Since we were going to be volunteering for 6 weeks, we thought we would check into a bigger one. The people there were fantastic from the sale to the check out. No time to wait to find one that had the MC/C in it.

Your state of Oregon is beautiful. We volunteered for six weeks at Cape Perpetua Scenic Area. We staffed the Devil's Churn Information Booth. You are so lucky to live where you have such a variety of scenery and pleasant temperatures.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:47 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
Vintage Kin Owner
Bad Axe , Michigan
We have a 30 ft Serenity which came with the microwave convection "upgrade". I don't like it and miss the propane oven we had in the Safari. I doubt we will swap it out as I don't cook too much in the trailer, but I liked the oven better.
dkrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:26 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2012 30' Flying Cloud
Box Elder , USA
Deb;

We had Sutton RV in Eugene do the change over and it was part of the purchase price. There was some trade in value on the odl stove and cook top. The stove and cook top was once piece too. We went from a 28' International to the 30' Flying Cloud. It's amazing what a difference the extra space makes. We hope to go full time within the next 12 to 18 months and the additional room will be great to have.

If you come this way again I would suggest that you stop in Eugene and talk with Mark at Sutton. He has been very helpful to us and the dealership has been top notched. Glad to hear that the Boise dealer treated you well.

Thanks for the nice comments about Oregon. We love it here and travel up and down the coast in the trailer. Thanks Jimbo
Old 09-27-2012, 08:03 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 22' Sport
Plano , Texas
Questions for you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkrug View Post
We have a 30 ft Serenity which came with the microwave convection "upgrade". I don't like it and miss the propane oven we had in the Safari. I doubt we will swap it out as I don't cook too much in the trailer, but I liked the oven better.
What do you not like about the MW/Convection oven? In your rig do you have a built in MW?

My issue is that there is not space for a built-in MW without doing some major remodeling. The space where the oven is located is where I would put the new one.

Thanks for your reply
Old 09-27-2012, 08:15 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
Vintage Kin Owner
Bad Axe , Michigan
We do a lot of our camping in places where no electricity is available. That makes the MW/convection useless.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:23 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 22' Sport
Plano , Texas
dkrug

I keep looking at your picture. Is that a little doxie on the pillow?
Old 09-27-2012, 08:24 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
We have thought about that for boondockinh, but since
Old 09-27-2012, 08:27 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
Oops hit send by accident, I am on my phone! We have thought about the electricity issue but since we rarely use the oven and still have the propane stove and grill we figure we will be okay. Anyone already have the convection microwave? Can you really use it as an oven? Can you bake bread in it, for example?
Old 09-27-2012, 08:30 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
Vintage Kin Owner
Bad Axe , Michigan
Deb, that is a Field Spaniel on the couch. She dragged the dog bed off the floor on to the couch and thought that seemed quite comfy!
Debbie
Old 09-27-2012, 08:31 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
Vintage Kin Owner
Bad Axe , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skatiero View Post
Oops hit send by accident, I am on my phone! We have thought about the electricity issue but since we rarely use the oven and still have the propane stove and grill we figure we will be okay. Anyone already have the convection microwave? Can you really use it as an oven? Can you bake bread in it, for example?
I have used the convection to make baked beans. The cook book says you can bake bread, but I haven't tried yet.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:26 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Yes, We considered the same conversion to remove and replace the propane oven with a C/microwave. The new parts cost was prohibitive ($$$)and no one responded with a trade / exchange offer. So, we have a WM microwave ($60) strapped to a cutting board wihich is velcro attached to the counter between the stove and double sink.

The FC20 has one of the (if not the largest) larger counter space galleys in the AS line up. So we have the best of both worlds with the ease - and lower cost to replace -microwave oven should the need arise ... oh, yes, I almost forgot ... the convection oven part. Wife loves the stainless Cuisinart convection / toaster oven ($75) that matches perfectly and sits on top of the stove/oven combo. She shares bread, muffins, chocolate chip cookies, etc. every time out. When off shore power (usually), we quickly and easily power up with just one of our EU 2000s ... one higher load electric appliance at a time, however.
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote