Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-05-2019, 10:18 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2016 19' International
Currently Looking...
FLAGSTAFF , AZ
Suggestions about winterization..

Hi community,

I have an Airstream Serenity 19´2016 that I am running as an Arbnb in my yard in Flagstaff.

1. How I can keep running the Airstream during winter times?

2. It is enough to use Heat pump unit in my AC to avoid winterization, frozen pipes, related issues,etc?

3. Do I have to run the furnace on propane? If so, Will be enough a 100lb manchester propane tank for a month?

4. How much shuld I expect to spend per month to run the Arisream during winterazion?

Thank you so much communit
Maximperio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 10:30 AM   #2
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Suggestions about winterization..

You will need to use furnace below 40 degrees. It blows air on the water holding tanks and the heat exchanger in the HP losses it’s efficiency and won’t product hot air below freezing.

If it gets below 20 degrees for an extended period of time you will need to consider a skirt with heat source below the trailer.

You’ll need a heated water line, and water source that is protected from freezing with appropriate valve. You’ll also need to figure out how to heat your waste tube to avoid it freezing in prolonged periods below 32 degrees.

Propane can vary. Here in Colorado I’ve used 30 lbs in 3-4 days if it’s cold and the furnace is rocking(but that’s on a 30’ unit with 50% more air volume to warm than you 19’). So you might work through 100lbs in 2-3 weeks if it’s cold and you are trying to maintain 68-70 in the trailer only using propane (but others with more experience and a 19’ can chime in - this is just an estimate based on my limited winter usage in a larger trailer)

Consider adding an electric space heater to help offset / reduce propane usage.

Consider adding a dehumidifier in the winter. Airstream will turn into a sauna of windows aren’t open.

Consider adding an Internet-enabled temperature monitoring device so you are alerted to issues if systems fail while trailer is unattended and temperature drops.

Others have a lot more experience than I - many things to consider for prolonged winter usage if temperatures are consistently below freezing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0886.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	339802  
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote