Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-03-2013, 03:22 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Murfreesboro , Tennessee
Stove Top Percolator 101?

I need some guidance in making coffee in my new stove top percolator! I like my coffee full bodied, but I'm not sure how long is long enough. My pot does not have a glass top. It is an enamel pot. Adjustments can be made but I hate ruining pot after pot of coffee experimenting if someone would be so kind as to help. Thanks
The other half 0f "SLEEPS2"
Rxtravelprn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 03:26 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Honestly you are going to have to makes a few pots for yourself before you find the right combination. Everyone has different taste and theirs might not exactly fit yours.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 04:39 PM   #3
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Haines , Oregon
My 2 cents worth. Get a teakettle and a Melita #6 filter cone. No mess, great coffee. We have a filter holder that fits into a thermos, so the coffee stays hot.
Drathaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 04:42 PM   #4
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
A great idea. I may dump my instant coffee and do the teakettle/filter cone thing. Thanks!
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 04:47 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rxtravelprn View Post
I need some guidance in making coffee in my new stove top percolator! I like my coffee full bodied, but I'm not sure how long is long enough. My pot does not have a glass top. It is an enamel pot. Adjustments can be made but I hate ruining pot after pot of coffee experimenting if someone would be so kind as to help. Thanks
Once it starts perking, set a 30 second timer, pull it off the heat and pour 1/4 of a cup, and put the pot back on the heat, if it's weak taste again in 30 seconds, if it's right yank the pot off the heat and enjoy.

You'll get a good approximation with the very first pot.

Paula
Old 07-03-2013, 05:07 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Stove Top Percolator 101?

Greetings Rxtravelprn!

Quote:
I am not a coffee drinker, but carry a Revere Ware percolator in my Minuet and a Revere Ware Drip Coffee Maker in my Overlander. The directions that I follow were found on a vintage Revere Ware site, but should work with most stove-top percolators with minimal revisions:

Coffee Perking Suggestions
  • Find the beverage cup markings on your coffee pot for easy measuring, and fill to the desired serving level with fresh cold water.
  • (Water should not touch the bottom of the coffee basket.)
    • To help prevent sediment in the brew, run water
      through the percolator basket before adding coffee.
    • Measure proper amount of percolator or regular grand coffee into the basket.
    • Insert basket assembly into percolator. Cover.
  • Place over direct heat.
    • When perking begins, lower the heat to perk gently for 6 to 8 minutes.
    • Rapid perking (boiling) causes bitter flavor and grounds in the brew.
    • Coffee may be served more easily if basket assembly is removed before pouring.
    • Brew proper time at correct temperature.
    • For percolator coffee, perk 6 to 8 minutes.
    • A clear, rich, brown, flavorful cup of coffee is best achieved when brewed without boiling.
  • Coffee is at its peak of flavor immediately after brewing.
    • It can be kept piping hot for serving later,
      but after 30 minutes, coffee loses its flavor rapidly.
  • For strong brew, use 1 coffee measure (2 level teaspoons) of coffee to each 6 oz of water.
  • A coffee serving is 5-1/2 oz of finished brew. Therefore, instructions are written for servings of coffee, not measuring cups.
  • The measurement markings on the percolators are for 6 oz of water per serving. This allows 1/2 oz for absorption by the grounds and for evaporation.
  • Making a full pot of coffee is preferred, but do not make less than 3/4 capacity of the coffeemaker.
  • If mineral deposits collect on flameware, boil a solution of 1 part vinegar and 3 parts water for about 20 minutes. Or use the newer product CLR, available at Walmart.
  • Cool before washing, to remove mineral deposits or discoloration from coffee, for other cleaning problems, use non-abrasive cleansers such as baking soda, Bon Ami, Zud, Ajax, Comet or plastic or nylon pads such as Dobie. Do not use metal or abrasive pads.

Revere Ware Stove-Top Drip Coffee Maker Suggestions:
  • Rinse the lower part of Drip Coffee Maker with hot water, place upper part in position and remove the combination water spreader and measuring rod.
  • Place in basket of upper part one slightly rounded tablespoon of drip grind coffee for each cup.
  • Replace water spreader and pour boiling hot water to level desired on measuring rod.
  • Cover. In approximately 7 to 8 minutes (for 8 cups) hot coffee with the most delightful aroma, taste and clarity will be yours for serving.
  • Remove upper part and transfer cover to lower section.
  • Revere Drip Coffee Makers will make 8 to 10 actual servings of coffee.

Good luck with your project.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:27 PM   #7
Tenkara Fly Angler

1975 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Vernon , Texas
We have an old enameled percolator and use Folgers Classic roast dark or black silk. Percolate till it smells like strong coffee. You won't need a spoon...
WBCCI #8578
Big C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 06:50 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Murfreesboro , Tennessee
Thanks so much to all .... Overlander 64 this is just what I needed. We will soon be going to our first rally and not quite sure how well we will fare without plenty of electricity. I do need my coffee and am much happier with GREAT COFFEE!
Rxtravelprn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 07:00 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
6 minutes

I learned to make perc coffee in the same Revere Ware percolator and 6 minutes seemed to be just the right amount of time... just make sure that you catch it at the first strong perk and lower the flame to the point that you just have a strong steady perk.
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 07:06 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
Great Coffee ??!!

Quote:
I do need my coffee and am much happier with GREAT COFFEE!
OK, I'll start the flame war. IMHO, you're not gonna' get great coffee out of a percolator. What makes it "perk" is that it boils at the bottom and the bubbles from boiling is what sends the boiling water up the percolator tube. And 212 is too hot for making great coffee. It over-extracts the alkaloids and the coffee gets bitter. Consider either a Melitta style system or a French Press. That way you can boil your water, let it cool just a bit and then brew. And grind the coffee JUST before brewing.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it. People are passionate about their coffee. Maybe more so than tires, hitches, etc. So flame away, while I enjoy a great cup of coffee!
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 12:54 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
AirsDream, I'm guessing you don't like your coffee boiled over an open fire with a pinch of salt and egg shell in it either...

Just kidding, we love our French press, too: Amazon.com: Profile For Arizona Airstreamer: Reviews
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:01 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
salem , Oregon
We use the same French press insulated by Bodum and live it. I bought a neoprene lunch sack at TJ Max for keeping it scratch less while traveling and also to keep our coffee hot longer. It is not cheap--think about $100. I also found a nice and cheaper one after I bought my Bodum at Ikea. It was insulated and about $28. This was a year ago. I didn't buy it cuz already had Bodum but looked nice and a local restaurant has the Ikea one. We live in the northwest where we love our coffee!
cptfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:14 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Western , Washington
I use a thermal french press that I bought at Starbucks a few years ago and it works great for camping. They don't sell them in stores anymore, but looks like you can still find them on e-bay. In a pinch I also use instant Via in case I run out of fresh ground...

Starbucks 2003 Brushed Stainless Steel Double Walled 32 oz Coffee French Press | eBay
Old 07-07-2013, 10:30 AM   #14
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goal15 View Post
I learned to make perc coffee in the same Revere Ware percolator and 6 minutes seemed to be just the right amount of time... just make sure that you catch it at the first strong perk and lower the flame to the point that you just have a strong steady perk.
Good instructions. Big thing is to lower the heat and just make it perc at a nice pop pop. When time up, Then remove from heat and let it sit a few minutes. Serve in favorite heavy mug.

Something just seems right about a stove top perc pot on a camping trip. Better yet, on a wood fire. Yup.

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:07 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirsDream View Post
OK, I'll start the flame war. IMHO, you're not gonna' get great coffee out of a percolator. What makes it "perk" is that it boils at the bottom and the bubbles from boiling is what sends the boiling water up the percolator tube. And 212 is too hot for making great coffee. It over-extracts the alkaloids and the coffee gets bitter. Consider either a Melitta style system or a French Press. That way you can boil your water, let it cool just a bit and then brew. And grind the coffee JUST before brewing.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it. People are passionate about their coffee. Maybe more so than tires, hitches, etc. So flame away, while I enjoy a great cup of coffee!
As another coffee geek/snob, I'm with you on this. Percolators over-extract coffee, making it bitter.

Having said that, I totally get the romance. Few things can beat the smell of coffee cooked over a camp fire. Personally, to get a similar effect but way better coffee, I'd switch the percolator for a vacuum pot.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:42 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Fairbanks , Alaska
Two coffee recipes for the stove top percolator-

Our stove top recipe- add coffee of your choice measured in coffee scoops of 1/8 cup coffee per scoop, I prefer Yuban, in the amount of the volume of the pot in cups divided by 2 plus 1. So a 10 cup percolator gets 10/2=5 +1=6 scoops. Once the pot begins to perc. reduce the heat until it just percs and set a timer, we go 10 minutes but try it at less if too strong.

Sandy's recipe for a 8 to 10 pot- take the percolator basket and stem and pitch into the nearest trash can. Add water to pot, bring to hard rolling boil, add coffee in the amount of "2 handfulls and a pinch". Let steep for approx. 10 minutes, gently add about 1/4 cup cold water to settle the grounds.

2012 1/2 Eddie Bauer, 2016 Ram Laramie 3500 SWB 4x4 6.7L Cummins 68RFE
crisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:16 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
What Crisen said.

We perk ours and use a paper filter in the basket. I can't remember the exact proportions but Crisen has it pretty close. We perk on low for about 10 minutes. You can adjust the amount of coffee or the amount of perk time to fine tune to your taste.

As far as using boiling water, that is what perking is all about. As the water boils, it "perks" to the top, thus rinsing down through the coffee. I can't see where you can perk a pot of coffee without boiling the water.

We love our coffee and this is a simple way to do it while on the road.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote