Old 07-07-2013, 08:07 PM   #15
Rivet Master
1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Originally Posted by AirsDream View Post
OK, I'll start the flame war. IMHO, you're not gonna' get great coffee out of a percolator. What makes it "perk" is that it boils at the bottom and the bubbles from boiling is what sends the boiling water up the percolator tube. And 212 is too hot for making great coffee. It over-extracts the alkaloids and the coffee gets bitter. Consider either a Melitta style system or a French Press. That way you can boil your water, let it cool just a bit and then brew. And grind the coffee JUST before brewing.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it. People are passionate about their coffee. Maybe more so than tires, hitches, etc. So flame away, while I enjoy a great cup of coffee!
As another coffee geek/snob, I'm with you on this. Percolators over-extract coffee, making it bitter.

Having said that, I totally get the romance. Few things can beat the smell of coffee cooked over a camp fire. Personally, to get a similar effect but way better coffee, I'd switch the percolator for a vacuum pot.

andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:42 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member
2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Fairbanks , Alaska
Two coffee recipes for the stove top percolator-

Our stove top recipe- add coffee of your choice measured in coffee scoops of 1/8 cup coffee per scoop, I prefer Yuban, in the amount of the volume of the pot in cups divided by 2 plus 1. So a 10 cup percolator gets 10/2=5 +1=6 scoops. Once the pot begins to perc. reduce the heat until it just percs and set a timer, we go 10 minutes but try it at less if too strong.

Sandy's recipe for a 8 to 10 pot- take the percolator basket and stem and pitch into the nearest trash can. Add water to pot, bring to hard rolling boil, add coffee in the amount of "2 handfulls and a pinch". Let steep for approx. 10 minutes, gently add about 1/4 cup cold water to settle the grounds.

"When you find yourself in a hole - quit digging!"

2012 1/2 Eddie Bauer, Dodge 3500 SWB 4x4 6.7L Cummins 6 spd manual
crisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:16 PM   #17
Rivet Master
2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
What Crisen said.

We perk ours and use a paper filter in the basket. I can't remember the exact proportions but Crisen has it pretty close. We perk on low for about 10 minutes. You can adjust the amount of coffee or the amount of perk time to fine tune to your taste.

As far as using boiling water, that is what perking is all about. As the water boils, it "perks" to the top, thus rinsing down through the coffee. I can't see where you can perk a pot of coffee without boiling the water.

We love our coffee and this is a simple way to do it while on the road.

aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote