Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2012, 05:57 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2012 30' Flying Cloud
york , South Carolina
storage of plates,bowls etc

just purchased 2012 30' flying cloud. trying to determine how to safely store dishes etc in the cabinets to keep them from moving around.
terryandann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 06:08 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I have been using plastic storage boxes for just about everything. I have them sized to fit in all the nooks and crannies. The keep everything in its place, no sliding around and banging the cabinet doors open. With a small trailer and limited storage spaces “a place for everything and everything in its place”.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 06:16 PM   #3
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
Paper...but we do keep some plastic...just dont use them much.

Shane

Tow Vehicle" 2023 F250 Azure Gray!"

TAC ID TX-1432
THEPILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 06:43 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by terryandann View Post
just purchased 2012 30' flying cloud. trying to determine how to safely store dishes etc in the cabinets to keep them from moving around.
Hey Terryandann, congrats on the new FC and welcome to the forums, a great place to be for all things airstream.
We use some plastic, some paper. They seem to travel nicely just stacked up in the cabinets. We turn the tumblers upside down so the wider rim keeps them from falling over. Rolls of paper towels stuck here & there help stabilize things too. We put the lighter stuff in the upper cabinets, heaver stuff down low.
Good to see you here. John
WBCCI #268 Palmetto State Airstream Club 22
Region 3 Past President....come with us, you will like it.

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Are you kind?..... Uncle John's Band
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 06:57 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Oh yea, things like bowls and tupperware containers that have rounded bottoms pack better upside down so they match up to the curve of the trailer inside the cabinet.(still trying to train Susan on that one).

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Old 03-28-2012, 07:13 PM   #6
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up Welcome Aboard....

We use very few breakable plates or dishes, coffee, wine, cocktail glass and the few other items that may break are wrapped in dish towels and stacked.
No problems so far.

Bob
Old 03-28-2012, 07:34 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We have to use the vertical storage space in cabinets, and put plates and bowls in lid organizers.

Works great.

Maggie
Old 03-30-2012, 06:26 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2012 30' Flying Cloud
york , South Carolina
Thumbs up storage of plates bowls etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlapper View Post
Hey Terryandann, congrats on the new FC and welcome to the forums, a great place to be for all things airstream.
We use some plastic, some paper. They seem to travel nicely just stacked up in the cabinets. We turn the tumblers upside down so the wider rim keeps them from falling over. Rolls of paper towels stuck here & there help stabilize things too. We put the lighter stuff in the upper cabinets, heaver stuff down low.
Good to see you here. John
hey john and susan! thanks for the info. i have been on the web site 4 nights this week and it is very interesting. still trying figure out all the options. never gave much thought to creating a nice profile for ann and myself. maybe i will get it all figured out one of these days
terryandann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 06:45 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
You will. The more you do it the easier it gets. Most of it is still a mystery to me. I just muddle along.

Old 03-30-2012, 07:05 PM   #10
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Remember the old saying : seats 6, feeds 4, sleeps 2.

Old 03-30-2012, 07:27 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1966 20' Globetrotter
1993 34' Limited
Hugo , Minnesota
We require REAL wineglasses....I keep them each in their own (new!) tube sock. Works very well-and if I ever need some clean socks I know right where to find them!
fstuneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 07:35 PM   #12
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
I'm with ya on that one, I refuse to sip good Scotch from anything less than glass. I keep 2 small glasses (one for me , one for a guest) in the china cabinet up front.

Old 03-30-2012, 07:45 PM   #13
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by fstuneck View Post
We require REAL wineglasses....I keep them each in their own (new!) tube sock. Works very well-and if I ever need some clean socks I know right where to find them!
Whine, Wiskie, coffie, beir all require glass, no question.

Bob
Old 03-30-2012, 10:07 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
South Kingstown , Rhode Island
for plates and bowls, we bought some groovy melamine ones at Crate and Barrel. For wine glasses, coffee mugs and our vintage press-pot, there is no substitution for the breakable. I wrap breakable stuff in tea-towels and stuff our pillows and throw blankets in the cabinets to make sure nothing can move around. I used to work for a lighting company and had to make sure glass items would make it shipped overseas, I'm kind of compulsive.
Old 03-30-2012, 11:03 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
I haven't got the experience yet to know what works and what doesn't, but I'm using that sticky-ish shelving rubber liner, strips of it between each item (I'm full timing, so I wanted actual dishes), and I'm using those refrigerator rods (basically curtain rods) to keep stuff from tipping over in the top parts of the cabinets.

I also, ahem, bought very cheap real dishes (mainly at Ross and TJ Maxx) that I still liked the look of, and figure that when they break, I get to have a new look for the table.

ETA: oh, and I use Duralex glasses, made in France and known for being as unbreakable as any glass can possibly be.

Blog: 300 Miles or 3:00
zlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 11:40 PM   #16
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
We use plastic plates under paper plates to cut down on washing; metal utensils with plastic handles; plastic tumblers for most beverages and reserve glass/ceramic for the good stuff like coffee & alcohol. Wal-Mart sells an enormously wide variety of plastic containers for storage which we have in every cabinet or storage area; even under the bed for shoes or wet items. We especially like the larger vertical containers for dry goods (cereal, rice, beans, etc) and they fit perfectly in our overheads. There even sizes that fit into drawers singularly or stacked in layers for silverware, knives, spices, etc. Plastic bins (with cardboard dividers) keep bottles and other breakables safe.

Plastic bins/containers also make the move-in and move-out for longer term storage a quick affair, plus any items left behind are not food sources for insects or other creatures!

Check out post #12 here: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f296...a-17610-2.html for another approach.
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote