Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-13-2018, 03:32 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lebanon , Tennessee
Thanks for starting and contributing to this thread. I really needed it. Still looking.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 05:59 AM   #22
Rivet Master

Kensington , Maryland
Waking up to silence, oh my what a treat. Well, a few birds and one or two peeper frogs who stayed up late partying.

The S&S tandem goes in the TV and takes me about 10 mins. to assemble. My single bike fits in the TV bed as well with wheels off. The bicycle-heads among you will recognize the ubiquitous Silca pump...another timeless classic.

IMG_4220

IMG_4183 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/nixfrixshun/],

IMG_4184 by
Too tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 01:13 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Nashville , Tennessee
Too Tall. We agree that it would be great to get bicycle oriented Airstream riders together.* We attend several tandem* bicycle* rallies a year and those of us in campers/rv's usually try to stay at the same rv park.* In May, in addition to attending the rally,* we're doing a pre-rally get together with about 8 couples in rv's who will be attending the tandem rally. We're the only Airstream owner though that we are aware of. Some of these couples have all different types of rv's - class A's, class B's, trailers, and 5th wheels. As for riders, some of them are hard core performance riders, where as others are more casual.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TWIN%20DREAMING2.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	133.3 KB
ID:	304192  
Bill211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 03:10 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
Ada , Michigan
We love our 27FB. Trouble free except for the self inflicted problems this newbie caused. Restoring my 1979 Schwinn P15 is next up. I love riding too but injured myself 4 years ago on a long ride. I will ride again!
ronderful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 04:09 AM   #25
Rivet Master

Kensington , Maryland
Ronderful, keeping old bike running is alot of fun. You'll be back better than ever. They can't keep us down!

Bill, you have my interest. If it is not too intrusive would you mind sending some details of that rally to me via PM?

Another great day planned here.

Next up will be a couple days of boondocking. This AS is fully capable with solar and ample capacities. I appreciate the details more every day.
Old 02-14-2018, 07:01 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
New Hyde Park , New York
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLNomad View Post
Cruising around the campground.
LilNomad
Outstanding! A banana seat and gorilla bars!! I rode this exact bike when delivering my after school newspapers back in ’66. Rain or snow, papers had to be delivered or suffer the wrath (no tip) of the homeowner. Taught committement early on...
eagletoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 09:09 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
Our recumbent trikes go with us wherever we go. With age we wanted something more stable and closer to the ground. Not as far to fall; that's another story but CAN happen.
mj
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 11:57 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
The AS is definitely easier to get into than a Class A. I am not that old and decrepit (yet) but the ease of entry/egress was a big selling point.

As to DIY, I have done very little to the FaN because I don't know what the hill I'm doing beyond some very basic maintenance.

I know this sounds crazy, but a few issues have corrected themselves w/o any intervention. Sometimes I wonder if people monkey around with their AS too much. (Yikes! Please don't hate me).

Happy bike and road trails. I don't take a bike when 'streaming, although the dog and I like to take a lot of long walks.
Old 02-16-2018, 05:08 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Ebro , Fla Panhandle
I realy like this pie delivery set up, that I came across in Leadville Co.

I've moved from a mountain bike to more a cruiser bike as the more upright sitting position is more comfortable for me. And still having 12 gears keeps it going well in hilly terrain.

Cheers Richard
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	363.7 KB
ID:	304331  
tevake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 05:29 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Ebro , Fla Panhandle
While I do admire the mileage put down by the more hardcore riders. For me just cruising around little old towns or exploring a park where I'm paused along the way is my pleasure.

Here is my faithful steed. A $100 craigslist find that has served me well for 4 years now. And unlike a nice road bike that went missing while urban camping in Santa Cruz. The cruiser doesn't attract much unwanted attention.

Its funny how often it shows up in my pictures tho, a scenic pause for a view, pics taken in the paddock at racetracks, neat classic old buildings in various towns visited along the way, there it is, my ride.

Cheers Richard
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	101
Size:	607.7 KB
ID:	304332  
Old 02-16-2018, 05:39 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Ebro , Fla Panhandle
Once again, lurking in the background. Ha, it's every where.

For the porschephile amongst us, yes that is Cameron Healy's famous 53 pooper. Pic taken at Portland. I caught him later that year, dominating at the historics in Monterey.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	103
Size:	385.7 KB
ID:	304333  
Old 02-16-2018, 07:15 PM   #32
1 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Nashville , Tennessee
I also have a recombinant trike. They are so much fun to ride.
Bill211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 02:57 AM   #33
Rivet Master

Kensington , Maryland
Aweseome stories keep them coming.
Tevake - Hmmm we share another "thing". P cars. I race a 07' 997.1 in Autocross.

Today I'm in Southern GA for a offroad bike race. I'm not "racing" per se. I quit racing years ago but I really enjoy dropping into these events and turning the cranks over. The younger riders probably think I'm a kook

There is a decked out Airstream Sprinter parked next to me. I'm impressed, those are real nice.

After this it's off to Delaware 'cause I can and the weather looks outstanding AND the place is deserted. Forgot to pack my casting rod so maybe I can rent a rig and get lucky. The Blues and Red Drum might be out there
Old 02-17-2018, 03:37 AM   #34
3 Rivet Member

2016 23' International
1991 29' Excella
Chesapeake , Virginia
East coast air streamers getting itchy

I just returned to my home base in Virginia,
from a Tommy Bahama wedding on Folly beach South Carolina.
When I checked in Wednesday I noticed 2 Airstreams in the loop at James Island campground.
I pulled out silently at 5:15 Friday to beat the traffic and noted Airstreams in the dark all over the loop.
Airstream nation is on the move!

Tom
Muriel 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 02:07 PM   #35
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Chicago , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muriel 1 View Post
I just returned to my home base in Virginia,
from a Tommy Bahama wedding on Folly beach South Carolina.
When I checked in Wednesday I noticed 2 Airstreams in the loop at James Island campground.
I pulled out silently at 5:15 Friday to beat the traffic and noted Airstreams in the dark all over the loop.
Airstream nation is on the move!

Tom
That would be us! We have been here a week and have a week to go. Three months on the road and we never seen so many Aistreams in one place (outside Mystic Cove).
janicemd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 07:21 AM   #36
demijac

2014 27' FB Classic
Livingston , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to demijac
Bikes & Airstreams

Our Airstream Lifestyle is perfect for long distance cyclists.

In 2016, we did most of a planned 48-state bike trip to ride up the highest paved road in each state and then ride to the highest paved road in the next state. Got hit by a pickup truck in Mississippi (state 39) and had to abort the trip after 12,500 miles. Will resume the trip from where we left off this coming August and complete the final nine states.

Having an Airstream and a very supportive wife make all this possible. All I have to do is follow the Airstream and in effect, ride home everyday. Don't have to carry alot of stuff because we have the Airstream. Do a lunch stop everyday in the Airstream. If it's raining out, wait out the storm in the Airstream. If I get tired of pedaling, just call ahead and my wife will find a meetup spot where we can boondock. After a long day of pedaling, there's nothing like looking down the road and seeing that shiny object down the road and fixating on my chocolate milk recovery drink at the end of the ride. Priceless.

In a couple of days, I'll be training on the Natchez Trace Parkway (Natchez, MS to Nashville, TN). So if you have an Airstream and some iconic rides in mind, you have all you need to go for it. Enjoy!
demijac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 03:16 AM   #37
Rivet Master

Kensington , Maryland
We should stay in touch. That's exactly what I'm thinking about organizing for myself and a few select folks. Infact, if I could get the right people organized I've got a Transcontinental route ready to go.

I've ridden N.T., enjoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by demijac View Post
Our Airstream Lifestyle is perfect for long distance cyclists.

In 2016, we did most of a planned 48-state bike trip to ride up the highest paved road in each state and then ride to the highest paved road in the next state. Got hit by a pickup truck in Mississippi (state 39) and had to abort the trip after 12,500 miles. Will resume the trip from where we left off this coming August and complete the final nine states.

Having an Airstream and a very supportive wife make all this possible. All I have to do is follow the Airstream and in effect, ride home everyday. Don't have to carry alot of stuff because we have the Airstream. Do a lunch stop everyday in the Airstream. If it's raining out, wait out the storm in the Airstream. If I get tired of pedaling, just call ahead and my wife will find a meetup spot where we can boondock. After a long day of pedaling, there's nothing like looking down the road and seeing that shiny object down the road and fixating on my chocolate milk recovery drink at the end of the ride. Priceless.

In a couple of days, I'll be training on the Natchez Trace Parkway (Natchez, MS to Nashville, TN). So if you have an Airstream and some iconic rides in mind, you have all you need to go for it. Enjoy!
Old 02-21-2018, 06:18 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
I travel with a road bike and a hard-tail mountain bike. I like Garmin GPS bike computer when traveling road routes I'm not familiar with. Plus I like downloading all that geeky data.
Old 02-21-2018, 06:41 AM   #39
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Ebro , Fla Panhandle
Here is an encouraging story.

At the age of 105, the French amateur cyclist and world-record holder Robert Marchand is more aerobically fit than most 50-year-olds — and appears to be getting even fitter as he ages, according to a revelatory new study of his physiology.

The study, which appeared in December in The Journal of Applied Physiology, may help to rewrite scientific expectations of how our bodies age and what is possible for any of us athletically, no matter how old we are.

Many people first heard of Mr. Marchand last month, when he set a world record in one-hour cycling, an event in which someone rides as many miles as possible on an indoor track in 60 minutes.

Mr. Marchand pedaled more than 14 miles, setting a global benchmark for cyclists age 105 and older. That classification had to be created specifically to accommodate him. No one his age previously had attempted the record.

Mr. Marchand, who was born in 1911, already owned the one-hour record for riders age 100 and older, which he had set in 2012.

This is clipped from a N Y Times article with much more details.

Hey Too Tall, auto cross is good fun, I've enjoyed some myself!
Old 02-21-2018, 06:43 AM   #40
Rivet Master

Kensington , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam View Post
I travel with a road bike and a hard-tail mountain bike. I like Garmin GPS bike computer when traveling road routes I'm not familiar with. Plus I like downloading all that geeky data.
Excellent. FWIIW Try using the search feature in ridewithgps.com to find local routes. We are just back from two weeks in N.FL and that's exactly how I found several hundred miles of routes.