Old 02-12-2018, 03:00 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I went the other way, from a class A to an Airstream.
It simplified a lot. Fewer systems, way less maintenance expense. Tires are $125 each instead of $500. Instead of a $450 oil change, I take my Toyota to the dealer for the $39 special.
The Airstream has two steps, the MH had five. They all counted on the way back from the grocery or just getting in and out.
I don't feel I gave up much. Same stove, same bed, a more comfortable table, and the same water hose, sewer hose.
A better TV. I was traveling solo so the big slides were wasted on me. Less is more. I can hook up in 15 minutes, it tows great, my fuel mileage is better.
I gave up mega storage, floor space, and Corian countertops.

When I consider the cost of a nice class B over a trailer, it doesn't make sense to me at this time.

Mollysdad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 05:13 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Port Richey , Florida
Great post, I think we all at times get lost in the things that go wrong and not consider all the goes right. Whether it was our brand new home or our brand new AS we experienced trials and tribulations with both...but the good out weighs the bad. We enjoyed raising our family in a traditional home but look forward to our new adventure in our AS. Here’s to good times!

Jstsal69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 05:24 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Fall City , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by tevake View Post
I always have my bike along even when I'm towing the car too. So easy once the rack is in place.

A nice way to have a look around a new spot, and get a little exercise to boot.

There is something about the slow pace, open air experience to really get a feel for a place.

Cheers Richard

A 911 as a toad! Brilliant! I think, however, you need to drop that off at my house!

Agree on the comments. I think folks expect perfection and while many nits should be addressed, my two AS experiences (28 FC and now a 27FB INTL) have been mostly great. The warranty tackles the main issues and some DIY projects suggested here (converter, tires, speakers, batteries) have only added to the experience. My biggest problem is a lack of free time to fully enjoy our trailer.
Old 02-12-2018, 05:47 PM   #18
S/O#080

2006 30' Classic S/O
Tucson , Arizona
I love my Classic with Slide, but every time I see the late 80's Class A I think I may just need to find one and see what happens!!
Tschupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 07:52 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
1987 29' Sovereign
1977 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Too tall View Post
Forums such as this terrific one, may lead a reader to think Airstreams are problematic. Reality check, everything in life is D.I.Y. to a point and forums like this are here to solve problems as well as share the glory. Share the joy....

WE LOVE our Airstream. I've been on the road for two weeks, riding bicycles with pals and generally enjoying a peaceful life. Our little FC 25' is a joy.

Go!
Oh yes, the “peaceful life!”

If we are not already enjoying our Airstream we are planning our next adventure.

Peaceful, easy camping to all!

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine
369goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 08:00 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Ebro , Fla Panhandle
Thanks Laura Me, but the 911 stays with me, its got me trained for its maintainance . As has the coach, .Tschupp. The classic motorhomes are pretty cool to tool around in. But at their age now do require repair and replacement of parts and appliances, like the older trailers only more so.

A good thing about an older rig, there is no expectation of every thing working all the time, nor any worries about warenty issues.
As you can see Ive got the vintage bug pretty good.
And carry tools and spares along too. It's a different mind set from owning new rigs. I've done about 30k miles since getting this coach, and still heave a sigh of satisfied relief at the finish of each trip.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	353.6 KB
ID:	304170  
tevake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 03:32 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lebanon , Tennessee
Thanks for starting and contributing to this thread. I really needed it. Still looking.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 05:59 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

Kensington , Maryland
Waking up to silence, oh my what a treat. Well, a few birds and one or two peeper frogs who stayed up late partying.

The S&S tandem goes in the TV and takes me about 10 mins. to assemble. My single bike fits in the TV bed as well with wheels off. The bicycle-heads among you will recognize the ubiquitous Silca pump...another timeless classic.

IMG_4220

IMG_4183 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/nixfrixshun/],

IMG_4184 by
Old 02-13-2018, 01:13 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Nashville , Tennessee
Too Tall. We agree that it would be great to get bicycle oriented Airstream riders together.* We attend several tandem* bicycle* rallies a year and those of us in campers/rv's usually try to stay at the same rv park.* In May, in addition to attending the rally,* we're doing a pre-rally get together with about 8 couples in rv's who will be attending the tandem rally. We're the only Airstream owner though that we are aware of. Some of these couples have all different types of rv's - class A's, class B's, trailers, and 5th wheels. As for riders, some of them are hard core performance riders, where as others are more casual.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TWIN%20DREAMING2.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	133.3 KB
ID:	304192  
Bill211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 03:10 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
Ada , Michigan
We love our 27FB. Trouble free except for the self inflicted problems this newbie caused. Restoring my 1979 Schwinn P15 is next up. I love riding too but injured myself 4 years ago on a long ride. I will ride again!
ronderful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 04:09 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

Kensington , Maryland
Ronderful, keeping old bike running is alot of fun. You'll be back better than ever. They can't keep us down!

Bill, you have my interest. If it is not too intrusive would you mind sending some details of that rally to me via PM?

Another great day planned here.

Next up will be a couple days of boondocking. This AS is fully capable with solar and ample capacities. I appreciate the details more every day.
Old 02-14-2018, 07:01 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2018 23' International
Long Island , NY
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLNomad View Post
Cruising around the campground.
LilNomad
Outstanding! A banana seat and gorilla bars!! I rode this exact bike when delivering my after school newspapers back in ’66. Rain or snow, papers had to be delivered or suffer the wrath (no tip) of the homeowner. Taught committement early on...
eagletoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 09:09 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
Our recumbent trikes go with us wherever we go. With age we wanted something more stable and closer to the ground. Not as far to fall; that's another story but CAN happen.
mj
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 11:57 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
The AS is definitely easier to get into than a Class A. I am not that old and decrepit (yet) but the ease of entry/egress was a big selling point.

As to DIY, I have done very little to the FaN because I don't know what the hill I'm doing beyond some very basic maintenance.

I know this sounds crazy, but a few issues have corrected themselves w/o any intervention. Sometimes I wonder if people monkey around with their AS too much. (Yikes! Please don't hate me).

Happy bike and road trails. I don't take a bike when 'streaming, although the dog and I like to take a lot of long walks.