Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-31-2015, 11:49 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
If getting into the most available spaces is THE priority, I'd say go with a short trailer! The longer (27-30') coaches will have fewer available sites... pure and simple. You will definitely have more campsite options with a 25' or shorter trailer and from what you said, it seems like that is what would be best for you. Just be sure that the trailer floorplan and ameneties serve your needs well, as making another change may be prohibitive.

Where and how will you sit when in the trailer? Would you be comfortable enough to spend an extended amount of time in the trailer? The seating comfort, for us, was extremely important as we tend to spend a good amount of time in the coach, especially in the evening. But your needs may be different. If you are outside the trailer for the vast majority of time, seating comfort may not be so important to you.

Our priorities were for a coach that fully met our needs, which meant going with a 30'. We were ok with sacrificing having such a wide array of workable sites for having the coach that best met our needs while traveling. So, of course, whatever the choice one makes, there are sacrifices to accept.
DHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 05:07 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Traverse City , Michigan
We love the 25FB but knew we'd lose, even with that length, the camping flexibility that is essential for our enjoyment. We camp almost exclusively in state and national parks and very often in state and national forest campgrounds. The added stress of finding spots and maneuvering into them with a larger rig was not worth it to us. Our FC20 towed by our SUV is perfect for US.
Old 08-01-2015, 06:10 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
Most campgrounds will have campsites that will accommodate larger trailers.

Having said that "getting in" is a whole lot different than "got a great site".

No question - "smaller" has lots more choices than"bigger" - and if you (like us) are among those who finds that the amenities of a great site are a whole lot more important than the amenities of a big trailer then you really need to stick to "small".

I've mentioned this before but it bears repeating - our kids gave us a little nugget of wisdom when we were looking to purchase our trailer: "Don't go so big you take the "Camp" our of "Camping" ..... "

Jay

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 06:46 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Traverse City , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerJay View Post
No question - "smaller" has lots more choices than"bigger" - and if you (like us) are among those who finds that the amenities of a great site are a whole lot more important than the amenities of a big trailer then you really need to stick to "small".

That's us too! Love those big, beautiful Airstreams pulled by big, beautiful trucks - truly "Land Yahts" - that we see on the road and in parks, but our enjoyment is mostly found outside the trailer and smaller works better for us.
Old 08-04-2015, 07:12 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
We travel all over the country with a 22ft long F350 Supercrew 8 ft box 172 inch wheelbase truck and a 28ft International our total length is 53ft hitched.Not once have we had a problem finding or getting into a site.Travel 12- 15,000 miles per year exploring the USA.So it's all what your used to I guess.
Name:   ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1438737141.447163.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  74.6 KB

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 09:53 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Traverse City , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflash View Post
We travel all over the country with a 22ft long F350 Supercrew 8 ft box 172 inch wheelbase truck and a 28ft International our total length is 53ft hitched.Not once have we had a problem finding or getting into a site.Travel 12- 15,000 miles per year exploring the USA.So it's all what your used to I guess.Attachment 244598

Beautiful rig Mo!
Old 08-04-2015, 10:01 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Thank you.its my dream come true.

Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 10:01 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Yep... lookin' great, Moflash!
DHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 07:19 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
At one of the campgrounds at Grand Canyon, they had a 30' max including both trailer and TV. Other campgrounds in the GC that might have had longer limits were full. They wouldn't let our 23' FC plus Tundra squeeze in (even though we probably could have). So we had to settle for one of the worst commercial RV parks known to man on the outside of the GC, and drive our truck in to sightsee. We remembered a few years ago, pre-AS, when we tent camped there in a lovely spot. Probably the only time so far that I wished I had a tent rather than an AS.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
McDave is offline   Reply With Quote