Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-19-2015, 09:02 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB International
2016 27' International
2021 30' Globetrotter
Nashville , TN
Spiders

My husband and I are selling our home and having a new one built. In the mean time, we have put a deposit on a 2013 AS and are planning to spend about 12 months traveling. It all sounds perfect and I am so excited to embark on this journey, but I am having one trepidation. I have serious, and debilitating arachnophobia. I've been in therapy for several years and do feel I have improved. Part of this has been my visualization of a "safe place." The idea of the AS has been just that. Now that we are actually in the action stage of our plan I have started to read a bit about insects in RVs. I am concerned that it isn't exactly the aluminum cocoon that I have idealized. Can anyone offer input as to how frequent spiders in the AS is and is there a way to minimize this?
ewor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 09:12 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Spiders

Fwiw, in over 2 1/2 years I have seen no spiders or evidence of spiders inside of my Airstream at all.

In any case, it would be easy to turn off the gas and electricity to the unit, set off a couple of bug bombs and leave for 8 to ten hours for "spider insurance".

Brevi tempore!

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 09:34 AM   #3
Rivet Master

El Dorado Hills , California
Sometimes get flies or mosquito's inside if the screen door is left open but then I swat them. Never seen a spider. If they are around they're probably outside and get blown off during the drive to the campground and back.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 10:31 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
If you travel and move a lot, I doubt you will have any issues with them. If you sit in one place for several days, especially with lights on outside, you may find them moving in.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 11:16 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Dryer sheets and peppermint oil on cotton balls seems to keep most of the little beasties out of the trailer. It also helps to seal exterior holes. I use aluminum duct tape to block off access areas around pipes and plumbing on the belly pan and accessible hidden areas inside cabinets and other furniture.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 07:07 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
Spiders

They make a series of wire mesh inserts for all of your refrigerator, water heater, furnace vents, etc. You should probably get a full compliment of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
McDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 08:06 PM   #7
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
I find them inside the AS external locations like the water bay access. They set up shop to capture bugs. Although creepy, they are a natural phenomenon like bats which keep things "in check"... A real nice balance.

So, while they are "unwanted" and dispatched quickly when found, while they at "unnoticed", we do not worry. So just have your big brave spouse deal with them!

Spiders will NOT stay where they will go hungry...or it is inhospitable. So, the tricks above like mothballs around can minimize "pests"'without hurting your dog, cat, kids...etc.

I also use plywood squares which I spray with household bug spray before each trip or, once placed on the ground. These squares are where the "stabilizers" (no levelers on Airstreams), jack and tires make contact. That stops all infiltrating so far. 3 years. I also "spray" around the AS when in unused RV spots. I also spray a bit around the sewer, water hoses and power cord.

These steps, especially when parked unattended will help a lot.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 08:09 PM   #8
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
I spray the bottom of my trailer, threshold hold, and access doors with bug spray.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 01:56 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
I find them inside the AS external locations like the water bay access. They set up shop to capture bugs. Although creepy, they are a natural phenomenon like bats which keep things "in check"... A real nice balance.

So, while they are "unwanted" and dispatched quickly when found, while they at "unnoticed", we do not worry. So just have your big brave spouse deal with them!

Spiders will NOT stay where they will go hungry...or it is inhospitable. So, the tricks above like mothballs around can minimize "pests"'without hurting your dog, cat, kids...etc.

I also use plywood squares which I spray with household bug spray before each trip or, once placed on the ground. These squares are where the "stabilizers" (no levelers on Airstreams), jack and tires make contact. That stops all infiltrating so far. 3 years. I also "spray" around the AS when in unused RV spots. I also spray a bit around the sewer, water hoses and power cord.

These steps, especially when parked unattended will help a lot.
channing, you should read this:
Are Mothballs Safe? « Healthy Begins Here
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 05:23 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We have never had a problem with spiders inside the Interstate, although they are present outside on occasion.

I once saw a woman spraying her entire campsite with something in a tank, for insects of all sorts, and that might be a good option for you.

Phobias can be debilitating.....I have this extreme fear of heights.

Get out there, make it work, and enjoy.

Maggie
Old 09-21-2015, 11:01 AM   #11
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by richinny View Post
channing, you should read this:
Are Mothballs Safe? « Healthy Begins Here
Thanks, Rich! Yes, concentrations are unsafe. I do NOT keep them inside the AS... Seemed a forgone conclusion so I failed the group by not mentioning.. I use the mothballs outside.... Like in the water and storage bins. I put them in a zip lock bag but do not close it. Makes for easy removal.

I did a "test" in my workshop with the Mothballs.. It was usually closed up and is well sealed. I would open doors and air out when ready to use. Result: few bugs.. No spiders.. But plenty of Geckos!!! So, mothballs cause Geckos!(tongue-in-cheek FIRMLY). I do not use them in my home.

Now, an additional item.... I buy flea collars for our small dog. I buy the LARGET I can... I then put on dog as usual. This leaves a lot of "waste"... But, a-ha! I cut them into 1-2" sections and place inside the AS..... When dog gets new collar I replace in the AS...
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 11:38 AM   #12
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
I've seen two in our whole time of full timing. I put down moth balls in all compartments in our Airstream.
Old 09-22-2015, 08:19 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
2021 30' Globetrotter
Nashville , TN
Thank you all for such great ideas and suggestions. I feel much better about it after hearing your replies.
ewor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 08:50 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
All the underside openings in our Sport were injected with expanding polyfoam. Haven't seen a spider inside in eight years.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 03:03 PM   #15
The Sign Lady

1969 23' Safari
1974 Argosy 22
1964 24' Tradewind
Victoria , British Columbia
Airstreams are great in that they are kind of fully wrapped in that they have the belly pan. If you do get one just have someone take the time to climb under and seal any possible gaps with a good sealant like trempro or sitkaflex and use plumbers putty around anything that may need room for movement. With that properly installed screens with and a proper habit of closing your main door (or Screen) you will have no issues. I have never seen a spider in my Airstreams
thesignlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 05:08 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Western MA , Massachusetts
Two seasons of ownership - zero spiders. Once in a while a fly or mosquito has gotten in. But no spiders and thank goodness no rodents (my worst fear).
Wild Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 07:17 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
I have lots of Spiders in my house- this year seems to have produced a bumper crop. I don't mind them, I catch them and put them outside. I do check shoes that have been sitting before putting my foot in, however. I have, in 8 years of trailer camping, never found a Spider in my Airstream. Flying bugs, yes, but no other pests.