Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-19-2016, 05:57 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Vernon , Arizona
Soon to be a Bambi Owner - Try it again

So,

I was going to buy a brand new 2017 Airstream and after working through all the numbers could not stomach the 6k in unrealized value which included the tax and the paperwork fees (wow 2500 seems a bit excessive). So, I stepped away from the brand new purchase through a dealership and started looking for a private owner deal. A couple of weeks ago I found a brand new 2017 16' Bambi Sport that was only 3 months old and being sold from a private dealer who was looking to move up in size. After working with Essex Credit and viewing the Bambi it looks like I will have a new family member that I am picking up for Thanksgiving.

Too everyone like me who got hit with the sticker shock, may I recommend searching for a quality pre-owned and a WONDERFUL seller! The person I am buying from was found here on Airstream Classifieds and shows all the grace and friendliness of the Airstream Family.

Wish me luck picking up my new trailer and towing for the first time on a freeway. Yay me, I get to start on the I-40!

MsTara
MsTara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 06:03 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Congrats on your purchase!
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 06:13 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Ebro , Fla Panhandle
Congratulations Ms Tara. It sure sounds like your continued search payed off for you!
I'm located between you and I 40. Here in Chino Valley.
How far are you going to pick up your new trailer?
If its near here, I'd be happy to lend a hand helping you get hooked up and rolling. Tho it sounds like the seller is being very good to work with.
Give me a shout if you'd like a hand.

My brother also got a nice deal on a slightly used 30' classic. Seems there are nice rigs to be had for reasonable $s.

Cheers Richard
tevake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 07:50 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Vernon , Arizona
Picking it up in Albuquerque. The seller is going to help and Holiday Travel Trailers, Albuquerque Airstream dealer, will also help with the setup to make sure it is safe.

Thank you so much for the offer. If I have issues on the pull, I may reach out to you.
Old 11-19-2016, 07:52 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
Buying quality used is always fantastic! Have fun!
Meeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 08:44 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Congrats ! We looked for many years for a nice used unit around here, but ended up going new (3x) and have never looked back!
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 07:46 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Detroit , Michigan
Tara,

Congrats! I was experiencing the same thing when I was calling dealers for a new 2017 Sport 16. I had a goal price (20% below MSRP) plus options (front rock guards, rear bumper, power tongue jack), and TTL (of course). I also had a trade-in and refused to pay certain charges, like prep, on already expensive campers. One dealer told me I needed a reality check LOL.

Out of 12 dealers I called within a 12ish hour drive of my home just north of Detroit, MI, only ONE dealer was willing to come extremely close to my numbers for the unit and the number I wanted for my trade-in. There were three dealers that completely dismissed me when I called and told them what I wanted (and that one dealer is willing to earn my business with the numbers above). These other three dealers literally said, "I can sell these units for much more than this dealer is selling you this unit with options for, so I'm going to pass. If they are selling you this unit at that price, I'd take it". Luckily, seven other dealers were willing to quote me and try to earn my business, but their numbers were far too high and wouldn't budge!

It's business, of course. Thankfully there is a dealer in Michigan that was willing to earn my business (or I would have been waiting as long as it took until I got the deal I wanted).

Sorry to hear about the sticker shock with extra odd charges! It was amazing to me to see the huge range of OTD prices on the same unit at different dealers. Your new unit from the private owner will be amazing! On the bright side, you get to pick your camper up ASAP! My wife and I have to wait until this early December before ours is delivered...

Best of luck and congratulations!
jwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 11:17 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Vernon , Arizona
JWILL,

Thanks so much for sharing your story, the deal they were offering me was only 13% off and there was ZERO budge room and no "add ons" to make me happy. When I hear stories about people getting their sway bar thrown in as a thank you I am amazed. All of the add-ons (which sound exactly like the ones you hand picked also :-) ) were all at premium price.

I kept on telling myself that if it was meant to be, the right trailer would show up, and it did!

I hope you love yours when you get it :-)
Old 11-20-2016, 11:41 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Detroit , Michigan
Tara,

13% off MSRP with no budging was about what the seven dealers offered me, too! This was their "bottom line" price. It was interesting these dealers wouldn't budge anymore for us! I asked a few of the managers why one dealer would give me close to 20% off and they wouldn't. The managers all said it's because they can deliver these trailers to folks willing to pay close to MSRP (or 13% below lol) and will make higher profits versus the numbers I wanted. The manager at Colonial Airtream told me they would never sell a 16 Sport for the price I wanted lol.

Needless to say, we took our business elsewhere! .

I can't wait until December to pick mine up! Many fun travels!!
jwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 02:32 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2017 28' International
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Ms. Tara, Congratulations and Welcome to our family! When my wife and I decided it was time to purchase our Airstream I started an expanding square search looking for the best deal on a 2017 28' Serenity International. I wanted everything option including solar and I was willing to travel to pick it up. I was surprised that my local dealer in Virginia offered me the best deal almost 20% off MSRP out the door including an Equalizer anti-sway hitch. I did do a little back and forth but for the most part very straight forward. We had to wait 2 months for our trailer to be built but it arrived as promised and came with no defects. We love our AS and know you will as well. Be safe and happy travels.
VaTravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 03:31 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Vernon , Arizona
Thank you to everyone telling me that it IS possible to get discounts on a new trailer! Sadly, my local dealer did not make me a great offer so I backed off.

However, it turned out to be the best as a 3 month old 2016 16' Bambi came available for a private deal.

One of the amazing things I learned when I contacted Airstream is that in 2017 models, there is NO charge to transfer the 2 year manufacturer's warranty as well as no inspection needed. However, I did lose ALL warranties on any of the items like refrigerator, a/c and water heater. However, the cost to replace if an issue is not as expensive as yearly extended service warranties.

Tara
Old 11-20-2016, 03:47 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Byhalia , Mississippi
Congrats Tara, patience paid off and you did not have to drive half way across the country. Safe travels.
Old 11-20-2016, 04:05 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Vernon , Arizona
Greg,

It is people like you on this forum that make my dream of owning a Bambi real. The friendship, help, assistance from so many people as i have prepped for this moment makes me proud to soon be an Airstream owner!

Tara
Old 11-20-2016, 04:44 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Taos , New Mexico
i keep hearing they are selling every new trailer they can manage to build. A seller's market is tough to negotiate in for sure but I agree with you - there are a lot of trailers and motorhomes out there that are purchased and lightly used over time. Those are the ones to look for from a private seller!
kdickinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 10:04 AM   #15
Airstream of Scottsdale

Apache Junction , Arizona
Glad you found one Tara. Hope everything works out great! Look forward to the pictures.

Brian
BknoxAZAS is offline   Reply With Quote