Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-14-2016, 05:11 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Vernon , Arizona
Soon to be a Bambi Owner

Getting really close to buying a 2017 16' Bambi. I have it all picked out and just waiting for a few more items to fall in place.

On my list of "stuff" that I will be purchasing is:

Front Rock Guards
Back Bumper
Auto jack
Second Battery
RF Brake Controller
Blue Ox Sway Bar
Cover for Fantastic Fans
Seal A Jet (stop Filliform)
Extended Warranty

So, what have I missed?

Looking forward to your insight

Tara
MsTara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 05:16 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
You've done nicely!
We love our Bambi and I'd put money on you loving yours too.
Time to get out and use it, then you can decide what is next if anything.
Have fun!!!
Bruce
Old 10-14-2016, 05:37 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Upper Sandusky , Ohio
You have it pretty nicely covered. Maybe add a metal propane tank cover? Then it will look like the larger trailers from the front. Of course that is about $750 unless you can find one used like we did. Also, a "sewer solution" macerator pump is nice for a 16' Bambi because the drain sits so low that it is downhill of many campground sewer connections. Also, we are looking into adding extensions to the stabilizer jack cranks so we do not have to get on the ground to lower the jacks. We have hauled 6,000 miles without a WD/sway hitch with no problems. Easier to hitch and unhitch and saves tongue weight and cost (flame suit on )
*2003 Jayco Designer Series 32' Rear Living
*2015 T@B Sofitel S (exchanged after 3 days for Bambi)
remphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 05:57 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Vernon , Arizona
RemPhoto:

2017 comes with the propane tank covers already :-). I also have the Sewer Saver that I haven't used for my Class A, so glad to hear that it is a good purchase for the Bambi.

In regards to Sway and W/D, I am pulling with my Porsche Macan and I definitely want to be as safe as possible and not take any chances.

Thanks for the call outs.

Tara
Old 10-14-2016, 05:57 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Vernon , Arizona
Bruce B,

I am hoping I thought of everything and will be an owner in a couple of weeks. I am dreaming of my first trip :-)

Tara
Old 10-14-2016, 06:08 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsTara View Post
Bruce B,

I am hoping I thought of everything and will be an owner in a couple of weeks. I am dreaming of my first trip :-)

Tara
Our first trip was home from the dealer... it was awesome and it only got better from there! This was our first day...
Bruce

Old 10-14-2016, 08:20 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Vernon , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
Our first trip was home from the dealer... it was awesome and it only got better from there! This was our first day...
Bruce

It brought tears to my eyes which is kind of silly but made me happy.

First, you actually have my dream model! Second, I love the fact that you had been dreaming of it for years.

LOVE, the Airstream lights :-)

I will do a little video when I take mine home and share also.

Tara
Old 10-14-2016, 08:59 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Tara: We just purchased a 19 and I'm not sure what the 16 comes with or what your dealer provides, but here's some additions we made:

1) One thing we immediately started using was the Anderson Leveler and Chock. It takes no time to level the trailer.
2) Also bought a level for leveling the trailer (needed one for the house as well)
3) We got a 15amp to 30amp converter to physically connect our 30amp trailer cord with our house outlets and use it to prep the trailer with our home outlets before taking off. We also bought a 30 to 50 amp converter for campsites, but haven't used it yet.
4) We got Hitch Ball Covers to keep the grease off us. I bumped into the hitch ball the first thing and then transferred the grease to other clothes. Not my finest moment, but the grease came out.
5) Tire gauge
6) Torque Wrench - for tire lug nuts, but I'll also use it with my hobbies.
7) Get additional keys made from a locksmith once you get your trailer keys. They have generic key blanks that will match the AS keys.
8) Additional box of gloves

Our dealer covered quite abit with us to get us started. Hope you have a great time when you get your AS. Reading from this site as well as other's blogs, helped us transition to owners easily. Safe Travels
Richard
StrmyWeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 09:09 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Quote:
RemPhoto:

2017 comes with the propane tank covers already :-). I also have the Sewer Saver that I haven't used for my Class A, so glad to hear that it is a good purchase for the Bambi.

In regards to Sway and W/D, I am pulling with my Porsche Macan and I definitely want to be as safe as possible and not take any chances.

Thanks for the call outs.

Tara
Wow, nice set up! We started with a Bambi and then the aluminitus sickness set in
You should use caution with regard to the 30 to 15 amp adapter ...
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 09:13 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Bruce & Partner: The video is great! Glad you're enjoying your trailer. I really hope the Scotties come around. The frames of them just staring... like 'What are you doing and why are we here?! etc...'
Safe Travels
Richard
Old 10-14-2016, 09:17 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mefly2 View Post
You should use caution with regard to the 30 to 15 amp adapter ...
Thank you for that cautionary note.
Old 10-15-2016, 12:14 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
It brought tears to my eyes which is kind of silly but made me happy.

First, you actually have my dream model! Second, I love the fact that you had been dreaming of it for years.

LOVE, the Airstream lights :-)

I will do a little video when I take mine home and share also.

Tara
We find that video is a great way to relive life's little events. I hope you do record your trip home...it's worth the effort!

As for the International model, ours was one of only 7 made that year and it was the last one on the east coast. That is how I talked my wife into buying it...
We love it and we use it a lot. Last year we spent the months of February and March in it. It is simply a blast!
Here's to you loving your Bambi!
Bruce
Old 10-15-2016, 12:18 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrmyWeather View Post
Bruce & Partner: The video is great! Glad you're enjoying your trailer. I really hope the Scotties come around. The frames of them just staring... like 'What are you doing and why are we here?! etc...'
Safe Travels
Richard
Mattie and Pepper love traveling in the Bambi now.
They jump up on the table and look out the window at the world when we leave them, they couldn't be happier!
Bruce
Old 10-15-2016, 06:52 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Upper Sandusky , Ohio
A few additional thoughts: Bring a bag of lego leveling blocks to use under the hitch jack in the event the campsite slopes front to back. Fully extended, the front jack will not always level the trailer. These blocks can also be used under the stabilizing jacks if you are camped on soft ground. Also, we added the screen door protectors that come with the larger trailers to stiffen the door and prevent accidental damage to the screen. The towel bar in the bath is very flimsy and broke off. This probably comes from using it to close the door when in the bathroom. We replaced it with two Ikea style folding wall hooks which cover the old mounting holes, hold the towels and make a convenient grab handle. We are planning to buy a wall-mounted soap/shampoo dispenser like in the AS Interstates to avoid fumbling with individual bottles in the small wet bath. We also replaced all the incadescent bulbs with LED but I am guessing that your 2017 already is fully fitted with LED's.
*2003 Jayco Designer Series 32' Rear Living
*2015 T@B Sofitel S (exchanged after 3 days for Bambi)
remphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 11:00 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2016 19' Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
I would pic up a swimming pool noodle, slice down the middle and put it on the awning arms when the awning is deployed. They have saved me numerous times from walking into them
Sgilcrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 12:46 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

Palm Desert , California
Quote:
Hi Tara:

Nice tow vehicle that I'm sure you'll enjoy I carry a basic set of tools including a battery powered screw gun (drill). It's great for deploying the stabilizing feet just be sure to get a socket.https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Enjoy, Dave
dasams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 01:13 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Vernon , Arizona
First, I love this forum as you guys are amazingly helpful :-)

30 to 15 amp: My dad just ran 30 amp to Bambi's new home. Note, Bambi now has a rose garden out the front door, a patio area and we are talking about putting a trellis in front of where it parks. I will send pictures when we are done.

Love the Lego Blocks as I had not started to think that way yet.

The noodle idea will be a head saver.

I had read about the screw driver secret, thanks for the appropriate socket.

LED, yes and one of the reason I am going with the 2017 instead of the 2016 and the solar panel connector at ground level which will be perfect!

Keep them coming,

Tara
Old 10-15-2016, 04:47 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Jacksonville , Florida
9750 mile Road trip in my 16' Bambi

Just returned home from a 9750 mile 2 month trip in my little Bambi. Sounds like you are planning to do a lot of upgrades. It's a great little trailer. Easy to manage on the road. I have an Andersen 3350 which totally managed sway control. The tiny wet bath is an inconvenience but I used RV Park showers as a work around. Enjoy and safe travels.
Mageliza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 04:49 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2008 19' Bambi
2012 23' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Bandera , Texas
I read all the forum items as you never know what you'll learn. Didn't know about the 30 to 15 amp to allow plugging into your home outlet, and would like to hear more about the caution comment from StrmyWeather.
banderabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 05:27 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Vernon , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mageliza View Post
Just returned home from a 9750 mile 2 month trip in my little Bambi. Sounds like you are planning to do a lot of upgrades. It's a great little trailer. Easy to manage on the road. I have an Andersen 3350 which totally managed sway control. The tiny wet bath is an inconvenience but I used RV Park showers as a work around. Enjoy and safe travels.
I am going to have a lot of learning going to the very small combined grey/black tank. I am really good at navy showers and love to boondock. I really dislike utilizing camp showers, it just makes me feel a bit vulnerable.

LOVE the 2 month trip in the Bambi and glad to know it is possible as I am looking forward to doing several long vacation trips around the US in it :-)

Tara