Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-17-2014, 11:52 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Something to keep in mind

This not only pertains to Airstreaming but this is where I post.

I recently bought a new toilet for my Airstream from that very big camping franchise. The cost and the receipt was for $199.00. When I credit card statement came in it was for $208.00. I called my credit card issuer and contested the amount. 3 weeks later they called and acknowledge my request and said they would credit my account but NOT go after the seller because it cost too much to follow up on an issue this small.

It is not clear whether it is the selling merchant or the credit card issuer that is doing this but it is becoming more frequent so I think it is beyond simple human error.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 12:15 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
What???

Have you taken it up with the seller? If your receipt and the credit card charge are different, shouldn't and wouldn't they give you a credit?

Maggie
Old 11-17-2014, 12:27 PM   #3
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
More to the point, if someone at the company is adding 4 or 5 percent to every credit card purchase, they're skimming quite a lot in the course of a day, and I would think that the company would want to know if they have an embezzler in their employ!
Old 11-17-2014, 12:29 PM   #4
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
What's becoming more frequent? Getting charged more than you paid or ... ???

With this seller or in general?
Old 11-17-2014, 12:31 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
It is difficult to know who did this. I doubt very much it was an employee acting on their own. If I question the seller they will just say they sent the correct amount to the credit card company. If I question the credit card company they will just say that is what they got from the seller. I don't have access to either sides records to prove it.

I only have one recourse and that is to put it in contention. If it was the selling company they got away with it because the credit card company isn't interested in perusing it, not being cost effective. If it was the credit card company they will just say "this one got away". The point is it did not come out of my pocket. Over time they will fight it out as the problem gets bigger.

If you didn't pay cash you have to match up the paper trail.

Old 11-17-2014, 12:33 PM   #6

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I occasionally see shops that have a sign up which says they add a surcharge for using credit card. I don't believe that is allowed per Visa's rules. They don't want people discouraging the use of their cards by adding charges to it. The merchant is supposed to pay those fees. Sounds like it is possible that is what happened here.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 12:44 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
I assure you there was no statement on the internet page I bought the toilet from said that. A local small vendor might try that but if a larger company did the credit card company would cut them off at the hips.

Now that said gas stations are posting such signage in complete violation of their agreements with the credit card companies. But that is not hidden from the public nore and after transaction addition.

Old 11-17-2014, 01:07 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
If it's on your credit card statement, isn't that a bill you have to pay??

You have your receipt and the credit card statement discrepancy.

Don't you want to contact the seller?

Maggie
Old 11-17-2014, 01:18 PM   #9
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
I own a retail shop, we were indeed given permission to charge a percent of of credit card fees back to the customer for using the credit card. I choose not to, however I have vender who charge 3.5 % for me to use card. They do not offer terms, so a few phone calks later I get that fee taken care off.

On the ip side I occasionally get a charge back where either the wrong amount was entered or the customer forgot they purchased Irish gifts from me in Milwaukee when Their statement says NJ. I have to get my paperwork out with proof. We all have to keep these records by law. By all means dispute with you cc company.
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 02:26 PM   #10
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
I assure you there was no statement on the internet page I bought the toilet from said that. A local small vendor might try that but if a larger company did the credit card company would cut them off at the hips.

Now that said gas stations are posting such signage in complete violation of their agreements with the credit card companies. But that is not hidden from the public nore and after transaction addition.
Some companies can and do add a "service charge" if you wish, to the bill if you pay by credit card.

There are several large companies that indeed make that charge, and of course sending them a check instead, resolves that issue.

It's sort of you do or you don't.

When an additional charge is not made, then that of course that is a discount, but that money goes to the processor and not the customer.

Depending on the credit card company or the processor, the discount they charge the seller can be as low as 2 percent to over 8 percent.

That money comes directly off the profits, and is the reason some simply add-it on.

Is using a credit card handier for the customer or for the seller?

Typically it's a handy thing for both, but not always.

Credit card processing companies have many different fee's they charge for each transaction, depending on the bank, credit or debit, the billing address, etc., etc., etc.

From a business point of view, it's just a part of doing business these days.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 02:55 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
A seller would still have to inform you, tho, correct, of anything you were being charged above and beyond what is on your receipt?

Maggie
Old 11-17-2014, 03:09 PM   #12
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
A seller would still have to inform you, tho, correct, of anything you were being charged above and beyond what is on your receipt?

Maggie
True, but not to some.

Buyer beware, is always the best policy.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 06:36 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
What reason did the seller give for charging the card more than the receipt?

1/2 Ton 4WD Truck, 72 Sovereign Hensley Arrow

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 06:47 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Changes in the Rules

Recently Visa did change their merchant agreement to allow merchants to add a processing fee for use of a charge card.

In the past this was strictly forbidden - so merchants (self included) raised all their prices then offered a DISCOUNT for CASH. Same-o, same-o in the end.

IMHO it's very unfair to fail to notify the buyer that a cash transaction will cost less. Of course with Amazon and all of the other online retailers, sending cash is not an option. Still the policy should be present and not lost in small print.
See if you can find the disclaimer somewhere on the website - and then write a Google review on it. Merchants HATE bad Google reviews, and will clean up their act and post the notice in large print.

Another note. You often get "free shipping for purchases over $50", but not always. The extra charge could well be shipping. The amount wouldn't be unreasonable.

Paula
Old 11-18-2014, 07:43 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
What reason did the seller give for charging the card more than the receipt?
1/2 Ton 4WD Truck, 72 Sovereign Hensley Arrow
As noted above I did not contact the seller, just the card issuer.

At this point it is hard to tell which one perpetrated the fraud. I just did bot intend to pay it.

My point is someone is perpetrating fraud and we have to watch very closely to keep from falling victim to it.

State agencies are doing it through Easy Pass, restaurants are doing it through added drinks to the receipt, and now someone is doing it through credit card charges used on the internet. I have found all 3 and just hope my comments will keep you from becoming a victim.

Old 11-19-2014, 02:03 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Tampa , Florida
Could be sales tax added if they have a brick and mortar store in your state.
Or trying to recover credit card charges. I see that more and more, but it's disclosed. "Credit cards accepted with a 3% fee."
Sitting duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 02:37 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
The sales tax was included in the receipt.

You are missing the point here. One of the 2 parties involved in the billing is a crook. I post this to inform people of one of the newer seams. Hopping it would cause people to look at things before just paying the bills.

My card issuer has called and said they would issue a credit for the difference without going after the seller because of the size of the difference. Waiting for my next statement.

Old 11-19-2014, 03:06 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We should all be monitoring our credit cards and bank statements carefully.

If you think a crime has been comitted, something intentional, perhaps you should make a police report.

Sounds like your credit card company stepped up and dealt with it, which may also mean they will go after the seller.

It would seem a no-brainer that the seller will have to refund the credit card company what has been credited to you, as you have a receipt that has a different total than that on your credit card statement.

Glad it has been resolved, on your end, at least.

Maggie