Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2015, 10:47 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1961 22' Flying Cloud
Oklahoma City , Oklahoma
Something Crappy that Airstream did

I live in OKC. I went to Griffith RV to schedule some work. They have been the authorized Airstream repair center for 26 years. I was informed that Airstream just pulled their agreement with them because the do not sell Airstreams they only service them. We have a new Airstream dealer in town so they didn't need him anymore. He is closing his doors because all he has ever worked on is Airstreams and now he can't even get parts. What a crappy thing to do to someone that has been loyal to Airstream for 26 years.
jdlimages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 10:58 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Airstream as a company has not quite caught up to today's marketing and customer service standards. They are affiliating themselves with what one can only describe as used car lots and have no idea of current trend in web site marketing let along the value of their brand. Harley Davidson makes more on the clothes and accessorizes then the sale of the bikes yet Airstream, with a naturally loyal clientele, won't even consider selling accessorizes.

If I remember right the last marketing employee they hired had a career in the sale of underware.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 11:11 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Why doesn't he continue his business anyway? There are private Airstream restoration and repair services around the country. How do they obtain parts? His website states he repairs any brand.

Maybe he could get that dealership to hire him. Owning a small business is rough work. Just going to a job to work on Airstreams and get benefits then come home is much less stressful.

Still Airstream shouldn't have cut him off like that. There should be enough business to go around. Appears Airstream is more interested in sales than service so why cut him off? Guess his shop as shown on his website is not glamorous looking enough for Airstream

Kelvin
Old 07-24-2015, 11:27 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
There may be more to the story. I have no Idea how strong the RV dealer associations are, but there are negotiations for franchise agreements that are very complicated....very much like union agreements.

A dealer Sales AND Service agreement is probably required. If a business has an expiring Service agreement, but the new legalize may require Sales AND Service. Was this Gentleman offered a Sales agreement and he didn't want to or have the means to finance a new AS inventory??/ Who knows, but I wouldn't just assign blame without all the facts, whch we will never have.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 11:57 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We did business (and still do) with a former dealer who had kept his authorized service with Airstream before they cut him loose. The place is rough, really rough looking but the mechanic knows what he's doing. I value that over shop appearance. The story goes he lost his authorized service because of questionable warranty charges to Airstream, and that manager is gone.

I don't like the new dealership service in town. The pretty girl greets you at the service entrance, who passes you to a service writer who does not care or know enough to discuss your problem. The mechanics are behind closed doors and inaccessible. Small wonder why so many problems are not fixed on the first visit.

Car dealers have been doing this for years now. You are often completely isolated from the guy/gal doing the work. Realizing with some customers that's a good thing.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 01:29 PM   #6
Regular Guy

1978 31' Sovereign
Hot Springs , Arkansas
Some of the best mechanical artisans are independent. Franchise fees, Inventory quotas, all add up to it's not worth the stress.

It's easier to find a good Heart Surgeon than an exceptional Mechanic, whatever the discipline.
If Airstream Inc. is resting on Wallys achievements, they will go into decline. How many threads have there been lately with comments on quality issues?

I don't care who you are or what you do, You have to take care of your people from the greatest to the very least. All and each just the same. It was the "little people" that put me at the top. Loyalty and filial relationships are becoming a thing of the past.
As long as the independent fella keeps up on current models and methods, why not keep him as an ambassador?
NavyCorpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 02:22 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Augusta , Kansas
We had Griffiths install a new door on our 2011 FC. Absolutely fabulous work and nice people. Easy to deal with (insurance claim). We have been to a couple of certified dealers with small adjustments... Shoddy work and actually damaged ( cosmetic) skin of our trailer. I would take my camper to Griffiths in OKC for anything and know it was done correctly. I hope they work out a solution to stay in business. If not, they will be missed.
The Tuttles
Augusta,KS
submirj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 04:25 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2020 27' International
Tuttle , Oklahoma
No, please say it's not true! Griffith is the best. Found the problem with my old trailer and fixed it when no one else could. Nice folks, too.
Haven't heard of an Airstream dealer in this state.
M. Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 04:59 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Tulsa , Oklahoma
My experience with successor

I don't know anything about past history, but I bought my 2016 Grand Tour from Leisure Time RV in OKC. They were good to deal with, serious about Airstream (they sent a crew to factory for several days to learn more Bout them). I have a feeling they will be in the "good" category of dealers.
Bobsprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 05:21 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
There is always at least two sides to every story. Reserving judgement until the rest of the story is revealed.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 06:46 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
Even you or I can order parts from Airstream, so that shouldn't keep him from repairing Airstreams. He could find a way to make it work, even if it was running his parts orders through another dealer. Maybe his credit wasn't up to snuff.
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 11:40 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Greeneville , Tennessee
I needed new decals for my Excella. Airstream would tell me what I needed but would not sell directly to me. I had to go through a dealer. I paid the dealer via PayPal and he placed the order and the decals were drop shipped directly to me. This was a very easy transaction, I guess they just want to favor their dealerships.
jimfa440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 12:00 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Not sure who you talked too but You can order and buy decals directly from their store in Jackson Center. I bought a couple for my Safari.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 12:27 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1985 25' Sovereign
Okc , Oklahoma
Angry Airstream behavior

Tom tried to work something out with Leisure Tiimes. He Would have to go to them to order parts, I'd problem found with shipment, damage, etc., would have to go back through LT for resolution , etc. He was willing but it got to be too much. I like others am very sorry to see him close up shop. You are not going to replace his expertise, skill and craftsmanship by sending a bunch to receive overnight training.
LeeJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 02:14 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
jackson center , Ohio
Griffiths did a great job over the years and was the face of Airstream in that area.Airstream had been looking for a full service Dealership in that area selling the full line up of Airstream products. The sales agreements provides the opportunity to exclusively sell and service Airstream products in that area.Griffiths has assisted Airstream over the years and decisions like this are not taken lightly. There is nothing to stop them from continuing working on Airstreams,but would have to source parts through a dealer and not be listed on Airstreams website.
The new Dealer is committed to sales and service and should be an asset to the area.
Schu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 02:52 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
Livingston , Texas
Send a message via AIM to spclkaz
My Airstream is old... but the next RV I buy will not be an Airstream... they are not built the same as in the old days... the service at most dealers is not as good... and the company itself is not what it once was... pay your money and make your choice...

I used to live in PHX and pulled my AS all the way to Tuscon for reliable service from long term AS mechanics who knew their business... the company put them out of business too...

Similarly, I have a non-dealer mechanic for my TV truck. He is honest and reliable. His shop is just a hole in the wall... but his mechanics FIX things right or keep it until they do... Kevin tests drives everything they fix and will not let anything that is still broken leave his shop... period...end.

Good trailer and vehicle mechanics are hard to come by... and there are fewer of them every year...
spclkaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 03:02 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Penokee , Kansas
I see this all the time out in farm country the past 10 years.. Loyal tractor dealers for 2 or 3 generations getting put out to dry.. The parent company starts out by requiring a truck load parts shipped at a time or they send each part ordered,, 1 box at a time UPS or FedX,,,, costing the dealer,, and the farmer twice as much for a repair part.

I supported our local Case/Ih dealer for years before he caved in and gave up.. Now the chain store Case/Ih dealer has 14 stores across western Kansas and they don't support or give a darn about any small farmer under 5 million $$$ in sales each year.. So the small family farm will be the next to go...

Once the small family farm is gone,, then we will see big company's step in and sign on the larger farmers under contract to grow the crops for a set fee.. In turn the big company's will then use the scale of sales to control the prices for raw food stock.. Once this happens,, the RV hobby will be replaced with buying food for the family.. Sodbust

20mpg empty, 14 mpg with 27' Overlander.

Today is the first day of the rest of your life!
Sodbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 04:52 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1984 27' Sovereign
Central , Oklahoma
I have been reading this thread with some interest, as I know the Griffiths personally. This community will miss Tom and his service center greatly. I have spent a great deal of time there, over the last several years, and have some knowledge of his closing.

Yes, I did not like the way that Airstream went about removing him as an authorized factory service establishment. Yes, they offered to let him get his parts from the “local” dealer. Why would one want to do that after getting them directly from Airstream for 27 years? This would be an added expense to the customer?? Why?

Those who don’t know the story of Griffiths should know that his father owned the local Airstream dealership on route 66 for a number of years in the 60’s and 70”s, before retiring and selling the dealership to another RV dealer, that eventually dropped the line. Tom worked for them for several years doing service. He grew up in the business. Tom then started the repair business, in agreement with Airstream and has run it successfully since then with his wife Darla running the office.

His bodywork is second to none and he is very easy to work with. The same craftsmanship should be expected from the “full service” dealership also.

I only hope that the “new” dealership is as easy to work with and provides the care and service that is expected. I also hope that they are willing to work on the “older” and “vintage” Airstreams like he has, not just the “newer” ones and the ones that they sell. He would bring one back to life, weather stored in a building or pulled in from a pasture after 20 years.

All this being said, I think he was READY to retire from the business anyway. Just think of this; as a one-man shop, over 27 years, replacing hundreds of segments, just HOW MANY rivets he has hand drilled out and replaced? That can wear anyone’s arms out!!

I wish Tom nothing but the best and only hope that the “new” dealership can live up to the expectations we have received from HIS service over the years.

I have been to Leisure Time and checked out the Airstreams, but rarely do I see one in a commercial?? You are going to have to step up your game to meet the demands of the Airstream community.
Hiwheel Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 05:32 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2009 34' Panamerica
2008 22' Safari
Metro Detroit Area & Metro Dallas Area , Michigan & Texas
Not every "marriage" works out. The factory wanted a full-service dealer - SALES & SERVICE - not just repair. The old guard in JC may come to regret running off with the youngster. The "fact" that JC will not sale parts to them indicates that there's more to this divorce.
Urbanologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 08:41 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Jc only sells parts to dealers. Any other policy would cut into dealers profits. That's common practice. Harley independent shops as well as BMW mc nonfactory shops don't order from the factory, or at least didn't use to. I'm familiar with these two.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote