Old 07-25-2015, 02:14 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
jackson center , Ohio
Griffiths did a great job over the years and was the face of Airstream in that area.Airstream had been looking for a full service Dealership in that area selling the full line up of Airstream products. The sales agreements provides the opportunity to exclusively sell and service Airstream products in that area.Griffiths has assisted Airstream over the years and decisions like this are not taken lightly. There is nothing to stop them from continuing working on Airstreams,but would have to source parts through a dealer and not be listed on Airstreams website.
The new Dealer is committed to sales and service and should be an asset to the area.

Schu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 02:52 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member
My Airstream is old... but the next RV I buy will not be an Airstream... they are not built the same as in the old days... the service at most dealers is not as good... and the company itself is not what it once was... pay your money and make your choice...

I used to live in PHX and pulled my AS all the way to Tuscon for reliable service from long term AS mechanics who knew their business... the company put them out of business too...

Similarly, I have a non-dealer mechanic for my TV truck. He is honest and reliable. His shop is just a hole in the wall... but his mechanics FIX things right or keep it until they do... Kevin tests drives everything they fix and will not let anything that is still broken leave his shop... period...end.

Good trailer and vehicle mechanics are hard to come by... and there are fewer of them every year...

94 30 Ft. Front Kitchen Excella
99 GMC 2500 6.0L Ext.Cab. 8ft Bed

ARE Shell Topper
SKP46015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 03:02 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member
1972 27' Overlander
Penokee , Kansas
I see this all the time out in farm country the past 10 years.. Loyal tractor dealers for 2 or 3 generations getting put out to dry.. The parent company starts out by requiring a truck load parts shipped at a time or they send each part ordered,, 1 box at a time UPS or FedX,,,, costing the dealer,, and the farmer twice as much for a repair part.

I supported our local Case/Ih dealer for years before he caved in and gave up.. Now the chain store Case/Ih dealer has 14 stores across western Kansas and they don't support or give a darn about any small farmer under 5 million $$$ in sales each year.. So the small family farm will be the next to go...

Once the small family farm is gone,, then we will see big company's step in and sign on the larger farmers under contract to grow the crops for a set fee.. In turn the big company's will then use the scale of sales to control the prices for raw food stock.. Once this happens,, the RV hobby will be replaced with buying food for the family.. Sodbust
2012 Ram 1500 Tradesman Hemi, 4x4, 6 speed

20mpg empty, 14 mpg with 27' Overlander.

Today is the first day of the rest of your life!
Sodbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 04:52 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member
1984 27' Sovereign
Oklahoma City , Oklahoma
I have been reading this thread with some interest, as I know the Griffiths personally. This community will miss Tom and his service center greatly. I have spent a great deal of time there, over the last several years, and have some knowledge of his closing.

Yes, I did not like the way that Airstream went about removing him as an authorized factory service establishment. Yes, they offered to let him get his parts from the “local” dealer. Why would one want to do that after getting them directly from Airstream for 27 years? This would be an added expense to the customer?? Why?

Those who don’t know the story of Griffiths should know that his father owned the local Airstream dealership on route 66 for a number of years in the 60’s and 70”s, before retiring and selling the dealership to another RV dealer, that eventually dropped the line. Tom worked for them for several years doing service. He grew up in the business. Tom then started the repair business, in agreement with Airstream and has run it successfully since then with his wife Darla running the office.

His bodywork is second to none and he is very easy to work with. The same craftsmanship should be expected from the “full service” dealership also.

I only hope that the “new” dealership is as easy to work with and provides the care and service that is expected. I also hope that they are willing to work on the “older” and “vintage” Airstreams like he has, not just the “newer” ones and the ones that they sell. He would bring one back to life, weather stored in a building or pulled in from a pasture after 20 years.

All this being said, I think he was READY to retire from the business anyway. Just think of this; as a one-man shop, over 27 years, replacing hundreds of segments, just HOW MANY rivets he has hand drilled out and replaced? That can wear anyone’s arms out!!

I wish Tom nothing but the best and only hope that the “new” dealership can live up to the expectations we have received from HIS service over the years.

I have been to Leisure Time and checked out the Airstreams, but rarely do I see one in a commercial?? You are going to have to step up your game to meet the demands of the Airstream community.
Hiwheel Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 05:32 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member
2009 34' Panamerica
2008 22' Safari
Metro Detroit Area & Metro Dallas Area , Michigan & Texas
Not every "marriage" works out. The factory wanted a full-service dealer - SALES & SERVICE - not just repair. The old guard in JC may come to regret running off with the youngster. The "fact" that JC will not sale parts to them indicates that there's more to this divorce.
Urbanologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 08:41 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
North central , Florida
Jc only sells parts to dealers. Any other policy would cut into dealers profits. That's common practice. Harley independent shops as well as BMW mc nonfactory shops don't order from the factory, or at least didn't use to. I'm familiar with these two.
1984 Avion 30p 9.1 meter. 2006 Dodge 3500 cummins srw short bed crew cab.
avionstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 02:01 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member
Sales va Service

From what we've seen service on Interstates is becoming more difficult. We bought from a large Airstream dealer in/near Traverse City MI. When we went in for warranty work after 9 months, we noticed only one interstate on the lot, among many AS trailers and other brand Class C/B+ (with slide outs). They said that the interest in Class B with slide outs was higher (other brands) and that Airstream was requiring they purchase 3 IS for inventory every time a model is released at too great a cost, especially when most purchases were special orders--a different color or configuration than what they had in inventory. So they are no longer carrying the IS, even though a high volume AS dealer. As a result it is no longer worth the effort to keep mechanics trained on Interstates, other than to finish out any warranty work on past sales. Leaves us up a creek without a paddle in the future. Makes me wonder if Interstates will make it or if Roadtrek is leaping ahead. Love my Interstate.
camlivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 02:46 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
C&G Trailer Service.

Hi, I have not confirmed it, but C&G Trailer Service, in Bellflower, California, is not on Airstreams list either. They have been servicing Airstreams since 1946. Rod, Darlene, and there crew are great people. They did not sell trailers either.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 03:06 PM   #23
Restorations done right
Commercial Member
1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I am not an authorized dealer or repair shop. I had a customer bring a 62 Globetrotter that got side swiped. I re skinned the door and replaced a number of panels. Replaced some windows. Installed a new axle. It was a considerable amount of work. I asked the customer how he came to me. He said he took the trailer to the factory for the repairs. A guy in the service department took him aside and suggested he bring it out to FTW. I was shocked by this.
The bottom line is if they want to continue working on Airstreams they should. Maybe they want to retire...
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 05:47 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member
2009 28' International
Pacific Palisades , California
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, I have not confirmed it, but C&G Trailer Service, in Bellflower, California, is not on Airstreams list either. They have been servicing Airstreams since 1946. Rod, Darlene, and there crew are great people. They did not sell trailers either.
I'm with you. We worked with Southwest Coaches for years for sales and service and just love them. They treated us like family. But now there's a new shiny dealership in LA, and our guys are out in the hinterlands. Talking to the new dealership's service dept in the Fall, we found a guy with a ton of experience who was able to take on an unusual problem, so we made an appointment fur the spring. When we called to confirm, they didn't even know who he was. We next find out he's been "demoted" to the parts department. No confidence in these guys, so we went to Ron and Darlene in Bellflower and had a wonderful first experience with these experienced folk in a funkier shop. Ron even told me there were some things they might not be able to take care of (such as polishing out some scratches on my propane cover) which they actually took care of, anyway. We just love people who under promise and over deliver.
gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 06:29 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Arvada , Colorado
Something Crappy that Airstream did

I have often thought of doing some Airstream repair work after retiring from Aviation. The luster of Aviation is gone but there is still a desire for continuing with my metalwork, which I am doing less and less in the Aviation world. What I'm getting at here is I would have no need to have an affiliation with Airstream. If Griffith wanted to stay in business then they would. Maybe the luster is just gone

Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote