Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-20-2016, 04:29 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Red face SOLO TRAVELER's CLUB!

Hey, there...all you solo travelers...who travel solo, but, would like to meet some new friends along the way...perhaps, to put together a small group for a camp out, maybe to caravan (or not).
This WILL NOT BE A DATING SITE!!! (You'll have to do that on your own.)

Not gender specific....all solo travelers are welcome. Many of us have been solo travelers for various lengths of time. I, probably , like most of you, have my own AS, and go out to experience nature in this great nation. Solo creatures, as we are , it is nice to meet kindred souls who share some of the same interests along the way...share a cup of coffee, tea, wine, etc....share stories of past adventures, a few laughs.

I envision, if enough of you become involved, that we may eventually invite others to meet up @ certain campground, RV park, National Park, State Park, etc. If the idea catches on and grows....who knows how much we may all benefit? At the least...we may develop friendships.

I live in Colorado, and as you all know...this is a camper/RV destination...so much to see...so little time. It need not be specific to Colorado...groups may form in your state, or, nearby...if some of you are willing ...and if this idea takes off. This thread can become whatever, we, as a group want to make of it.

I'm tossing this idea out and if it gets enough interest....maybe we can make something good of it!

So, chime in, besides our Airstream, what are your interests? Mine: photography, painting, fishing, sightseeing, nature and wildlife, a bit of hiking. Do you like water sports, kayaking, boating, serious mountain hiking, biking, etc? What state are you in? Where do you want to travel? What is your Airstream? Tow vehicle? Are you a newbie or long time traveler? Do you travel with a dog, cat, bird? None?
I look forward to your responses. I know you're out there, so let's pool our resources. Evelyn.
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 05:48 PM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoLady View Post
So, chime in, besides our Airstream, what are your interests?
Just bought an Oru Kayak. Used to have a Sea Eagle inflatable kayak until it developed a leak (read, great gaping gash) that I couldn't repair and I decided folding is better than inflatable for an apartment dweller like me. Still a novice and probably will never get much better in terms of skill. Inland flatwater only, no whitewater or offshore. Some hiking but I have to stick to the easy trails because of a mobility handicap.
Quote:
What state are you in?
Louisiana.
Quote:
Where do you want to travel?
Not really limiting myself in terms of destination, but so far I am limiting my trips to no more than about two weeks at a time. Most of my solo travel has been to state parks, national park campgrounds, and Corps of Engineers campgrounds. I only go to commercial campgrounds on my way to somewhere else or for a rally. So far my travels have taken me to the Florida panhandle, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Arkansas, Texas, Oklahoma, and New Mexico. My longest RV trip to date has been two weeks, my shortest three days.
Quote:
What is your Airstream? Tow vehicle?
2012 Airstream Interstate, with a 2013 Honda Fit toad.
Quote:
Are you a newbie or long time traveler?
I've been at this for four years, the first three while still working for a living, but you never stop learning, so I'm a perpetual newbie.
Quote:
Do you travel with a dog, cat, bird? None?
No spouse, no spawn, no pets, no plants. I'm barely able to take care of myself, let alone any other living critter!
Old 02-20-2016, 06:07 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Protagonist, thanks for your response. So, what do you think of the idea? You sound like you are the speed hiker that I am now. I used to hike the high mountain trails...now, my advancing age has slowed me down to easier trails...flatter terrains.

You should think about a trip to Colorado...many beautiful camp areas here. Have you seen the Boondocking threads by Ray? He is setting up a GREENHORN BOONDOCKING INSTRUCTION in June or July. First one is in Colorado. I'm greenhorn # 1, others will be included, as well. If interested, you should find his threads and sign up. Should be a blast!
Evelyn.
Old 02-20-2016, 06:17 PM   #4

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Have you seen the Boondocking threads by Ray? He is setting up a GREENHORN BOONDOCKING INSTRUCTION in June or July.
I don't have much interest in boondocking; I prefer to be at the edge of the grid rather than completely off of it. (Gasp! Heretic! Sacrilege!)

Besides, thanks to my activities with WBCCI— I'm a Unit President this year— my camping schedule is pretty full up until mid-October. I'm really looking forward to NOT being a club officer next year, though! I've discovered that I enjoy planning my own fun much more than I enjoy planning other people's fun.
Old 02-20-2016, 06:43 PM   #5
Rivet Master

I see. Well, maybe there will be some interest in this idea, perhaps from some solo travelers In your neck of the woods. Let's see where it takes us! Evelyn.
Old 02-20-2016, 07:31 PM   #6

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
I see. Well, maybe there will be some interest in this idea, perhaps from some solo travelers In your neck of the woods. Let's see where it takes us! Evelyn.
You seem disappointed that I'm not really interested in boondocking. I thought you were starting an AirForums "Solo Traveler's Club" not an AirForums "Boondocking Club." Perhaps you should start one of each?
Old 02-20-2016, 09:59 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Oh no, no disappointment here. I'm a total novice re: boondocking...Ray and Nsncy are the knowledge base for that subject...I am a student.

My sole goal of opening up a thread is for those of us who are solo travelers who would like to meet up with likeminded souls, camp anywhere we can agree to meet, share adventures, make a few friendships, maybe find some common interests, enjoy each other's company.
I like solo travel, but, do like to meet nice people, socialize a bit. Not looking for attachments or anything like that...just kindred souls to spend a bit of time with. I decided to open this thread after reading of many others who seemed to be looking for friendships along our travels.
This is an opportunity to perhaps be a sort of bridge to allow some to link up for a camp out, maybe travel down the road in caravan if some want that...whatever. I am interested in meeting solo travelers, both male and female, young or old...I am in the latter category. We all have one thing in common ...our Airstreams and love of travel.

I suggest a trip to Colorado simply because of all the beautiful natural resources here. I, on the other hand, have never been to your neck of the woods, except for a brief trip to NOLA many years ago and also a backcountry trip for a week fishing trip in mid 60's. Caught a few fish, had on a stringer next to my leg, in the water, which an alligator grabbed, missed my leg...scared the Crap out of me...ended my fishing in Louisiana! I did get a chance to try a meal of alligator..not bad..tasted like chicken! I hoped he was the one that grabbed my fish! LOL!

So far, you are the only response, so, of course, you get my attention now. ��
Old 02-20-2016, 10:15 PM   #8
Rivet Master

This is for SOLO TRAVELERS who would like to make contact with likeminded souls to socialize for an evening or camp and/ or caravan as they want. No strings attached...no fees charged. No gender or age restrictions.

This thought originated via conversations on the forum, some of which, were on some of Ray's threads re: Boondocking. I have not tried that before..but, am intrigued at the challenge of trying and learning new things. My camping style has been in RV parks with full hookups. I love nature and would like to experience all I can, while I still can.

I do realize that there is much beauty to be found OTG. I want to expand my knowledge base. I feel we are never too old to learn new things.

For whatever reason any of us end up as solo travelers, many have expressed a desire to meet fellow travelers and form new friendships. I hope this thread can serve as a conduit, a bridge to bring some folks together, to enjoy a bit of company along the trail. We shall see where it takes us. If there is enough interest it will grow...if not, it will fall to the wayside. All are welcome.
Old 02-21-2016, 06:46 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Dallas , Texas
I have recently purchased a new TV and FY20 for my granddaughter and she is heading out. Lots of short (3 to 4 weeks at a time) trips. She is not on the forum yet, but it has been very helpful to me. Safety for her is my main concern and while she and I have spent much time talking about this, having some kind of communication option between you solo travelers might be a good idea. I am a little paranoid about her "broadcasting" her location and intentions publicly, but appreciate that there are those of you "hitting the road" alone.

I hope this day to have the opportunity to help someone in need.
Kittyfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 06:52 AM   #10

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittyfeet View Post
I am a little paranoid about her "broadcasting" her location and intentions publicly, but appreciate that there are those of you "hitting the road" alone.
All the more reason for us to hide behind the anonymity of our AirForums user names. We're not exactly "broadcasting" our location and intentions since only the moderators and those we know personally know who we really are.

There is a handy hint for AirForums newbies… do not use your real name as your user name!
Old 02-21-2016, 06:54 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Not to rain on your parade, but FYI there is a Solo Streamers sub-forum already:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f508/

Which you can see if you bounce up a level in the heirarchy shown at the top left on this page. Here is the Airstream Lifestyle overview page:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f483/
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 06:58 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 25' International CCD FB
Northridge , California
LilNomad:
Solo Female Airstreamer
Interested in Dining, Sushi, Travel, Champagne, Fishing etc..would like to do more boon docking..
Areas of Interest: Colorado, Alaska, New Mexico Caverns, almost anywhere..
Towing a 25ft Intl 2 door with a Suburban
Have had my trailer for a few years but still consider myself a newbie after all a new destination=a new experience. Hoping to transition into more extended trips and or fulltiming for a bit..
No Pets but love dogs
LiLNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 07:16 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Dallas , Texas
Understand Protagonist, but here is my concern. Her name is not important to those who might be on the "prowl". A beautiful, mid twenties, woman announcing she is alone in XYZ campground, would not take much to find her, or anyone. Not trying to be paranoid, but one can not be too careful these days.

Old 02-21-2016, 07:46 AM   #14
Airstream Rookie

2005 31' Classic
Anywhere , Everywhere
I've traveled solo for MANY years and always let people know where I am. My locations are really not that secret and honestly I could give a rat's patootie if anyone wants to try to come find me. Good luck.

I know that sounds a bit brash, but in literally 25 years of traveling and boondocking solo I've never had a problem. Admittedly now that I own an AS it might be a little different, but the cocoon of the trailer actually gives me a huge safety advantage now above and beyond anything I ever had traveling before.

Not using my real name on a forum? I've always used mine too, or a portion thereof. It's a pretty 'generic' name, so maybe that's why I'm not so paranoid.

I DO like the idea of a solo travelers forum so I'll hop over to that one and look around.

The boondocking bootcamp also sounds like a lot of fun. Even though I've got all this 'experience' living outside, this whole AS thing is a new level of complexity. I've learned a few things the hard way so far and thank the very generous community both here and on FB for helping me with the big and little things.

Following these threads helps keep me a little connected while I'm away as well, so thanks for those who comment and create content daily for the site. Always educational and mainly fun to read as well.

I'm in Tempe for the next 2-3 days if anyone wants to get together for coffee and a chat.
KimberlyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 07:50 AM   #15

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittyfeet View Post
A beautiful, mid twenties, woman announcing she is alone in XYZ campground, would not take much to find her, or anyone. Not trying to be paranoid, but one can not be too careful these days.
You can't protect them forever, no matter how much you might want to— and to be honest, beautiful women in their mid-twenties are no more and no less likely to be a victim than any other demographic.

If you are worried, possibly the best protection you can offer is to buy her a dog to travel with. And don't let her post her itinerary on Facebook, Twitter, or LinkedIn. Which are far more likely social media for miscreants to peruse than AirForums.
Old 02-21-2016, 10:55 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Armed and Dangerous: Pinon Bandits

Lucky for Nancy and I, we are not traveling Solo, yet our experiences are no better nor worse if we had.

Camped in the back country... SOLO... is not where the risk "increases" once you leave a city. It decreases to nearly ZERO.

Camped with one or more Solo travelers at a RV Park creates Safety in Numbers, that is why RV Parks "near" remote areas are so popular for a comfort zone.

Nobody has every snuck into a Hunter's Camp to create trouble. Have they? Never heard anyone that brave.

It is the same for one or two trailers camped deep into the forest. It is dangerous for the bad guys... if you get my drift.

Once Nancy and I were Base Camped in New Mexico. Two pickups showed up with four guys. They were looking for where a ranch was cutting piñon and juniper trees. They wanted to cut them and take the firewood back into a nearby town. Nancy stayed in the trailer with Mr. Smith and bother Wesson, who is 35.7 years old...

As I spoke with them, I casually looked into the back of their pickups. They were armed, and dangerous. Chainsaws and gasoline. Those pinons and junipers were going to find all of the trouble these weapons of choice can bring.

The ranch was a few miles east of where we were camped. They did not have a map, just general directions.

Traveling SOLO in the back country has it caveats... if you get stuck or injured. But you can get stuck and injured in your suburban yard. If I were to worry about everything that "could go wrong"... I would sell my trailer and travel in a Greyhound bus to see the country.
Old 02-21-2016, 11:27 AM   #17

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
If I were to worry about everything that "could go wrong"... I would sell my trailer and travel in a Greyhound bus to see the country.
I wouldn't. Have you SEEN the kind of neighborhoods Greyhound bus terminals are located in?
Old 02-21-2016, 11:35 AM   #18
Rivet Master

Great responses here. Keep them coming, we'll see where it takes us. I appreciate your concern, Kittyfeet, about your granddaughter. Get her a dog, big and ferocious looking, a big can of bear mace, a marine air horn. Make sure she understands NOT to broadcast in a public anything....when and where she intends to be.

This shall be a RULE on this thread.....never ever put personal info on this thread! (Or any other, for that matter.) If anyone wants to contact someone, send a PM, and there, give an email ONLY, so you can communicate more privately.
Old 02-21-2016, 11:55 AM   #19
Rivet Master

Ray, you and Nancy are right. I keep my "little friends" close and handy when I travel, just as I do at home. Bear mace and taser are also handy deterrents for 'threatening wild things'! We all know how vicious those chipmunks can be!!! I've heard they travel in gangs...just looking for some vulnerable humans with a trailer full of food, to attack! LOL!

In all seriousness, though...where ever we travel, it behooves us to use safety measures and common sense. If I stop to rest, I assess the area, and if the 'hairs on the back of my neck begin to raise' , (or other internal alert signals), I hit the gas and look for a safer spot.
Just as I will not go into a city...anywhere, and walk down a dark alley!

Most people are not out to victimize others...but, there are some who will. It is our job to avoid placing ourselves in dangerous positions. That being said...I refuse to live my life in fear and to be aware of my surroundings, present myself in a confident manner...and even though I am of an "advancing age"....(.a common target for evil doers), ....said evil doer would be in for one h..l of a surprise.
Old 02-21-2016, 01:17 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Dallas , Texas
Some great suggestions Colorado Lady. She has a couple of friends as well and is very familiar with them. Like the idea of using email contacts and will suggest it to her. We have always been aware of our surroundings and she has a great head on her shoulders. Not paranoid but have prevented problems in the past. Happy camping