Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-03-2016, 05:29 PM   #41
Rivet Master

Welcome, young lady! Gramps has, indeed talked about you and your new rig. Now, for more grandparent advice....hold on don't go away yet. This is good stuff!

Download onto your IPad, mobile phone, or whatever:
1. All stays RV
2. iExit
3. Pocket Earth
4. A reliable map...of all states you have interest in (I.e., Rand McNally, etc.)
5. Have a reliable GPS, but, verify info with a real map.
6. Have a strong mobile service with a mobile hot spot (to extend your signal)
7. I hate to say this, but, till you get a bit of experience behind you...TRUST YOUR GUT, YOUR INSTINCTS....AND TRUST NO ONE, till they prove they should be trusted.
8. Take no chances....if you stop a place and it "just feels kinda uneasy or off key" keep on moving.
9. Take a big, loyal dog with you. He or she will provide great protection, (German Shepard, Malamute, Siberian Husky, Labrador...all good protection and travel mates.)

Now, all that being said....travel safely, be aware of your surroundings, and enjoy your adventures.

If any of us can be of any assistance, all you need do is ask! We are here for you! Evelyn.
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 05:41 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
And get gas every time it's convenient, even if you still have ½ a tank!

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 06:10 PM   #43
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggy Bank View Post
And get gas every time it's convenient, even if you still have ½ a tank!
Excellent advice! I follow that advice religiously during hurricane season, just in case of having to bug out for a storm when the entire metropolis is lining up to get whatever fuel is left at the station before everything closes, so I don't have to line up to be price-gouged before hitting the road.

But there are other good reasons to always keep the tank above half-full. For example, if you stop at a station and get some bad gasoline or diesel— such as it has too much water in it— then getting half a tank of bad fuel on top of half a tank of good fuel means that you have just diluted the problem by 50% and possibly saved yourself a breakdown. Especially since half a tank later you'll be adding more good fuel on top to further dilute the problem.
Old 03-03-2016, 06:41 PM   #44
3 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Dallas , Texas
Gramps saw the posts and came and got me from taking care of my horses. To Colorado Lady and Piggy Bank, thank you, thank you, thank you, many times over. I have KOA and Sams apps and will get All Stays. Have a great Garmin GPS and Garmin dash cam, maps are great idea. Have good cell provider and also data card. Will check out the other suggestions. Thought about a dog, love all animals and they would be good companion. Thinking Doberman as I have a breeder friend. You have made some great suggestions and I am very open to learning as much as I can. Maybe one of these days, I can be as much help to someone starting out. Learned about the half tank fill up the hard way pulling a loaded horse trailer home, thought I could make it, and I did, after running out of gas and all that entails. Gramps got me a Honda 2000i and 2000 companion and that will be in back of Vinny along with an air compressor. Also have a really good road assistance subscription. I can change tire, etc, but do have option to call for help.
I can't tell you how much I appreciate your "taking me under your wing". Lets spread those wings and fly!!!!!!!!!

I hope this day to have the opportunity to help someone in need.
Kittyfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 06:57 PM   #45
Rivet Master

Yes! A Doberman may be a good choice. Do spend some time and $$ training he/she to obedience. The breed can be kind of unreliable if not properly trained. Many years ago, I bought a brother and sister from a breeder....gave the girl to my daughter, and she picked the husband as her alpha, hated my daughter...challenged her way too often. Mine was a
"Wuss", hid behind me when the doorbell rang, and peed on himself! Needless to say, we found new homes for both. That is when I bought my Malamute...best dog and travel companion ....ever! Malamute and Husky are very loyal and dependable, as are Labradors.

If you are ever coming near Denver...PM me if you want to meet up. You will be welcome.
Old 03-03-2016, 07:03 PM   #46
3 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Dallas , Texas
You are very kind and meeting you would be my honor. Don't want one peeing everywhere. Will have to take some time getting a dog. Want to get it as a puppy and raise it. Gramps has a good friend who used to train attack dogs(police and military version). Might go that route. You are just full of good advise, thanks again.

Old 03-03-2016, 07:04 PM   #47
Rivet Master

P.S. One thing to add to above list: a strong signal WEATHER RADIO.
Also, download STORM SHIELD AND WEATHER CHANNEL...2 necessary apps for travel.
Set up weather alert audio signals for when traveling in specific areas.
Keep mobile phone and iPad charged fully.
Old 03-03-2016, 07:09 PM   #48
Rivet Master

Kitty feet, you are most welcome.
The trained dog will be a great choice...just be sure you allow one to choose you, as well as you choose him/her. The bond will be strongest with dual choice.
Old 03-03-2016, 07:12 PM   #49
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoLady View Post
Also, download STORM SHIELD AND WEATHER CHANNEL...2 necessary apps for travel.
The American Red Cross has a collection of apps, each targeted at providing information about one specific type of natural disaster. I heavily use the Tornado app when I travel, and sometimes the Wildfire app. And of course the Hurricane app during hurricane season. You allow the app to use your present location, and it will "push" weather watches, warnings, and alerts to you that might affect you wherever you are.
Old 03-03-2016, 07:19 PM   #50
Rivet Master

Thanks, Protagonist. Good suggestion.
Old 03-04-2016, 12:21 PM   #51
Rivet Master

Kitty feet, add to your list: a large battery power pack, and keep it fully charged in your tow vehicle. I keep a 1200 watt in my SUV. These things are invaluable if you accidentally drain your TV battery.

ALWAYS UNPLUG YOUR 7pin electrical tether between TV & FC when you stop for an overnight. I found this out the hard way when I left mine connected overnight and when I was ready to leave next morning, my TV battery was DEAD! I could not get a cell phone signal to call AAA, and had to ask a guy to give me a jumpstart...just as he was pulling out to leave! He was the only other person there, and fortunately, he was kind enough to stop and help.

Now I always unplug 7 pin when I arrive and REMEMBER TO PLUG IT BACK IN BEFORE YOU PULL OUT NEXT DAY! Dragging the 7 pin down the road leads to total destruction of said tether! Not to mention....no TT lights. Check them all to be sure the tether is ALL THE WAY IN, also.

Make a check list of all tasks required when arriving at your campsite and another, for all tasks prior to leaving campsite! I use a small spiral bound book....and carry it as I attend to each step of setting up and of taking down camp! Evelyn.
Old 03-04-2016, 02:09 PM   #52
3 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Dallas , Texas
Thanks Colorado Lady. Good suggestions. I will pass those on to Ashley. Honda 2000i has a great battery charger attachment but a battery pack is great idea. Cant have too much stuff to help her along the way. She has already gone through, along with me, the complete hookup and breakdown procedure and made a list and is putting it in a handy spot to double check at every stop, in the order actions are supposed to happen. I have observed her several times and am impressed with her quick study. I do appreciate all you and others have suggested to her. I am very proud of how independent she is and she has a great, level head on her. She has camped with me many times and is comfortable around the trailer, towing, backing hooking, etc. She has pulled a horse trailer to lots of events by herself and has not had problems she could not handle, including some very pushy people. As you know, we all worry about our kids, but as someone else posted earlier, teach them all you can and let them go. I am sure I will happen along to some of the spots she happens to camp, but the great thing for me, she won't mind. You have been very helpful, having a perspective many others don't have.

Old 03-04-2016, 03:04 PM   #53
GLCMRANGER - Sue

2016 25' International
Littlestown , Pennsylvania
Add the following APPs:

www.recreation.gov
www.Recreationamerica.gov

Especially if you want more privacy in state or National campgrounds.
glcmranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 04:19 PM   #54
Rivet Master

Kitty feet, I think my quote was, as stated...teach them all you can, then let them go.it is hard to "let our little birds fly from the nest"....but, eventually, they must, in order to continue to develop as an adult.

You must be very proud of how she has grown and matured....and you have yourself to thank for teaching her along the way. I, too, have a granddaughter that I am very close to, since her Mom, my daughter died of breast cancer at age of 31. Melissa was 11 at the time. I tried my best to fill some of the role of surrogate Mom, though she lived in Durango, 400 miles away. The bond remains strong between us 26 years later.

I am relieved to know that you have instructed her on all the ins/outs of camping. I guess that's the Mom/grand mom in me....once a Mom...always one. It would be my pleasure if ever the opportunity comes, to meet her, in person. She seems like a lovely young lady.
Evelyn.
Old 03-04-2016, 05:06 PM   #55
3 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Dallas , Texas
Thank you. She is very special, and I know I am biased. Her father and mother, my daughter, were tragically killed when she was very young. She has lived with me ever since and is the center of my attention. She has been given much, but has handled it with such maturity and grace, and has the kind heart of an angel. She is a beautiful young lady both inside and out. As she heads out on this new venture, there are so many that will be blessed by her presence. You are very kind.

Old 03-05-2016, 01:26 PM   #56
Rivet Master

You are both fortunate to have each other. Fate, providence...whatever...changes our lives in a flash. It is the strong individuals who survive, work their way through the grief and/or challenges.....and move forward as stronger than before. Having some remaining family definitely makes it easier. Having a strong faith system helps us through it all.

I don't know if this will be of interest to Ashley, but, I think it worth mention:
There are a group of ladies with Airstreams traveling to Astoria, Oregon late August into September for a Shirley Valentine Gathering. (You'll find the thread on search under that title). I think most of us are much older than Ashley, but, she will be spoiled rotten, especially by me.

I will travel from my home, near Denver, to meet with others in Jackson Hole,Wy.....then a few of us will caravan to Fort Stevens State Park, Oregon, close to the beach. There is one lady coming from Texas, and maybe Ashley might connect with her to caravan up here from Tx...then we'll caravan up to JH, Wy. Think on it and let me know. If she wants to explore, this might be a good way to do it. Evelyn.
Old 03-05-2016, 02:14 PM   #57
3 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Dallas , Texas
Thanks for the invite. She has already decided that she is not going to travel to any state that does not recognize her concealed weapon permit, Oregon, and some of the west most states do not. She is heading out soon and going to be gone until mid summer, no specific destination in mind. We will regroup then and probably take a two trailer caravan into the mountains late August until mid October. You are nice to invite her and I will be sure and let her know. She is out with her trailer, I believe named Boomer, for the weekend.

Old 03-05-2016, 05:14 PM   #58
Rivet Master

KF, I travel in the lower 48, (have my little friends with me), but, well put away, and do not broadcast it? I think Oregon allows CC.
Old 03-06-2016, 12:53 PM   #59
3 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Dallas , Texas
A good time was had by all!!! A friend and I took Vinny and Boomer out to her Daddy's ranch. They have a great spot by a creek with lots of cottonwoods and a nice grassy area really flat for parking. Got to try out all the systems dry camping. They all worked great. We were out in the wide open spaces away from everyone and everything. Put Vinny and Boomer through their paces getting there and getting out, pretty rough but they performed with no hitch. Didn't do any damage, that I am aware of yet. Getting the camping bug. Ready to spool up Willy Nelson's "On the road again."

Old 03-06-2016, 02:01 PM   #60
Rivet Master

2007 25' International CCD FB
Northridge , California
Anyone heading towards So Cal?
LilNomad
LiLNomad is offline   Reply With Quote