Old 02-21-2016, 08:50 AM   #15
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittyfeet View Post
A beautiful, mid twenties, woman announcing she is alone in XYZ campground, would not take much to find her, or anyone. Not trying to be paranoid, but one can not be too careful these days.
You can't protect them forever, no matter how much you might want to— and to be honest, beautiful women in their mid-twenties are no more and no less likely to be a victim than any other demographic.

If you are worried, possibly the best protection you can offer is to buy her a dog to travel with. And don't let her post her itinerary on Facebook, Twitter, or LinkedIn. Which are far more likely social media for miscreants to peruse than AirForums.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 11:55 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Armed and Dangerous: Pinon Bandits

Lucky for Nancy and I, we are not traveling Solo, yet our experiences are no better nor worse if we had.

Camped in the back country... SOLO... is not where the risk "increases" once you leave a city. It decreases to nearly ZERO.

Camped with one or more Solo travelers at a RV Park creates Safety in Numbers, that is why RV Parks "near" remote areas are so popular for a comfort zone.

Nobody has every snuck into a Hunter's Camp to create trouble. Have they? Never heard anyone that brave.

It is the same for one or two trailers camped deep into the forest. It is dangerous for the bad guys... if you get my drift.

Once Nancy and I were Base Camped in New Mexico. Two pickups showed up with four guys. They were looking for where a ranch was cutting piñon and juniper trees. They wanted to cut them and take the firewood back into a nearby town. Nancy stayed in the trailer with Mr. Smith and bother Wesson, who is 35.7 years old...

As I spoke with them, I casually looked into the back of their pickups. They were armed, and dangerous. Chainsaws and gasoline. Those pinons and junipers were going to find all of the trouble these weapons of choice can bring.

The ranch was a few miles east of where we were camped. They did not have a map, just general directions.

Traveling SOLO in the back country has it caveats... if you get stuck or injured. But you can get stuck and injured in your suburban yard. If I were to worry about everything that "could go wrong"... I would sell my trailer and travel in a Greyhound bus to see the country.

Old 02-21-2016, 12:27 PM   #17
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
If I were to worry about everything that "could go wrong"... I would sell my trailer and travel in a Greyhound bus to see the country.
I wouldn't. Have you SEEN the kind of neighborhoods Greyhound bus terminals are located in?
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 12:35 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Great responses here. Keep them coming, we'll see where it takes us. I appreciate your concern, Kittyfeet, about your granddaughter. Get her a dog, big and ferocious looking, a big can of bear mace, a marine air horn. Make sure she understands NOT to broadcast in a public anything....when and where she intends to be.

This shall be a RULE on this thread.....never ever put personal info on this thread! (Or any other, for that matter.) If anyone wants to contact someone, send a PM, and there, give an email ONLY, so you can communicate more privately.
Old 02-21-2016, 12:55 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Ray, you and Nancy are right. I keep my "little friends" close and handy when I travel, just as I do at home. Bear mace and taser are also handy deterrents for 'threatening wild things'! We all know how vicious those chipmunks can be!!! I've heard they travel in gangs...just looking for some vulnerable humans with a trailer full of food, to attack! LOL!

In all seriousness, though...where ever we travel, it behooves us to use safety measures and common sense. If I stop to rest, I assess the area, and if the 'hairs on the back of my neck begin to raise' , (or other internal alert signals), I hit the gas and look for a safer spot.
Just as I will not go into a city...anywhere, and walk down a dark alley!

Most people are not out to victimize others...but, there are some who will. It is our job to avoid placing ourselves in dangerous positions. That being said...I refuse to live my life in fear and to be aware of my surroundings, present myself in a confident manner...and even though I am of an "advancing age"....(.a common target for evil doers), ....said evil doer would be in for one h..l of a surprise.
Old 02-21-2016, 02:17 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Dallas , Texas
Some great suggestions Colorado Lady. She has a couple of friends as well and is very familiar with them. Like the idea of using email contacts and will suggest it to her. We have always been aware of our surroundings and she has a great head on her shoulders. Not paranoid but have prevented problems in the past. Happy camping

I hope this day to have the opportunity to help someone in need.
Kittyfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 03:48 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Kittyfeet, a little paranoia, or, better yet....a lot of common sense and caution are needed to determine safety in any part of life. Your concern for your GDTR is understandable. Most young people seem to think they are invincible...and of course, they are not. Your good teaching of safety will benefit her,(and will give you peace of mind)! We can't protect them from everything. Teach them, then turn them loose, is all we can do. Good luck.
Old 02-21-2016, 07:52 PM   #22
Rivet Master

KimberlyA, you are currently on the SOLO TRAVELER's CLUB thread. Welcome. Evelyn.
Old 02-21-2016, 07:58 PM   #23
Rivet Master

LilNomad, welcome. Come back often, as we see how much interest there is for this type of endeavor. I hope, if more join in, there may be an opportunity for some in a local area to get together and camp out. Or, for those traveling, to connect with folks in an area they will be going to.

Keep it going, guys. Evelyn.
Old 02-22-2016, 04:40 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
This idea sounds great CloradoLady. I wonder if I bore too much of my soul on the Airforums already. Much more and my signature will be streaminweird Single girls should have a dirty pair of size 12 work boots placed outside their trailer, to keep unwanted visitors away at night. I place a pair of size 4 stilettos outside of mine. You know I'm kidding about the stilettos...? Pets are great companions anywhere. Unconditional love, always happy to see you. A pet on your lap is a great way to lower blood pressure and stress. I Think boondocking does make people work together more, thus more bonding. Maybe start a boondocking rally?
Old 02-22-2016, 05:05 PM   #25
Rivet Master

Hi, Streaminwild,
I was wondering when you might join us on this thread. You do understand...this is not a dating site. It is an opportunity to interact with folks...male and female...young and old...who share common interests in Airstreaming, camping, traveling. If some want to meet and camp together...a chance to make new friends, they are free to PM each other and make plans.

So, do you have a dog? What are your areas of interests? Share.
Old 02-22-2016, 05:06 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Or how about changing your user name to 50fat&flatulent - or offering recipes for garlic and slug sandwiches?

There's always a way. And big yes on the bear spray and the wasp spray. Needed it ONE time. Priceless.

Paula
Old 02-22-2016, 05:24 PM   #27
Rivet Master

BTW, most of us lady campers don't need a pair of boots outside the door...we can deal with intruders with a more 'discouraging way'! Boots will not protect me...if I ever should be concerned...bear mace, a taste of my taser, OR...my "little friend"...will take care of business! And my dog will bite!
Old 02-22-2016, 05:31 PM   #28
Rivet Master

Paula, that name and recipes should discourage....everyone! I never thought of wasp spray. My methods should work well, too. That taser will put down a pretty big fellow! If that does not discourage an intruder...the little red lighted dot on their chest sure will!!
Boots? Not so much!