Old 07-16-2014, 08:23 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2014 23' International
Saint louis , Missouri
SoberStreamers?

Hey all,
Anyone out there friends of Bill W? We have a big family reunion coming up in Atlanta next summer and I have an idea that we could have an airstream rally at the same time. Feel free to PM me if you feel more comfortable.

Love and Service,
Lois

"Homer"
loislane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 06:14 AM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
I personally know at least two people named Bill W. but I doubt either one is the one you're talking about.

Anyway, when I saw the thread title, I thought the thread was about a group like Solo Streamers, except for nondrinkers instead of solo travelers. It was very disappointing, because I am a nondrinker as well as a solo traveler, and it would be nice to have a group of fellow nondrinkers to have rallies with.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 06:35 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Yo protagonist, no need for disappointment, you were correct in your first assumption. These fine folks are indeed exploring the idea of a rally for non-drinking or sober Airstreamers. " Friends of Bill W. " is merely a way for folks who are sober to find others who have chosen a sober lifestyle. No worries.
Old 07-17-2014, 06:42 AM   #4

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayco View Post
Yo protagonist, no need for disappointment, you were correct in your first assumption. These fine folks are indeed exploring the idea of a rally for non-drinking or sober Airstreamers. " Friends of Bill W. " is merely a way for folks who are sober to find others who have chosen a sober lifestyle. No worries.
Ah. It makes a difference when you know the secret handshake and password. Thanks.

Next summer? I will be retired by then, and don't have any particular plans yet for August 2015. I'm not sure of the wisdom of Atlanta in August; it can't be much better than New Orleans in August with regard to temperature and humidity. But I'm open to the idea, in theory.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 07-17-2014, 06:47 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Me too. I like the concept though next summer would be tough for us also. I DO hope that there might be enough interest in this sort of rally though. Maybe more folks will chime in and express the same. Who knows.
Old 07-17-2014, 07:21 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
Waldorf , Maryland
This was new to me too.
I respect the concept, but I still enjoy adult beverages while camping.

Friends of Bill W.
A member of Alcoholics Anonymous (AA), and therefore (usually) a recovering alcoholic. Derived from the name of Bill Wilson (Bill W.), one of the founding members of AA.
If you are at an airport and have a temptation to head to one of the bars, instead have "Bill W." paged, as code for your need for someone from the program come have a "meeting" with you.
by Twelve-Step slang October 24, 2004

S/OS#069
TAC # TX-33
WBCCI #5702
AIR #60387
"Eva" 2004 Classic Limited 34' S/O
"Wall-E" 2012 Ford F250 King Ranch
Air-Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 02:05 PM   #7

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air-Texas View Post
Friends of Bill W.
A member of Alcoholics Anonymous (AA), and therefore (usually) a recovering alcoholic. Derived from the name of Bill Wilson (Bill W.), one of the founding members of AA.
If you are at an airport and have a temptation to head to one of the bars, instead have "Bill W." paged, as code for your need for someone from the program come have a "meeting" with you.
by Twelve-Step slang October 24, 2004
Ouch! I may not be interested after all! I gave up drinking years ago, but I have never been to an AA meeting, never want to go to one. I don't want to attend a rally that might turn into an AA meeting, either. I quit without help from anyone, and did just fine without all of the introspection.

Hanging with non-drinkers and ex-drinkers is fine, but hanging with ex-drinkers that can't get past the fact that they used to drink is something else altogether!

Sooner or later one has to become an ex-alcoholic, the same way we all become an ex-child when we grew up. No offense meant to anyone in the program, but I simply can't understand why anyone would NEED the program! Guess that means that even when I drank I wasn't an alocholic.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 07-17-2014, 03:31 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
The cork is in the bottle, but the addiction gene is still in the body. Some folks need to be reminded of that fact occasionally from people with similar issues.

Seeing folks with too much booze inside themselves reminds me of why I do not need to do that again. I don't care if my wife or other family members drink, but I don't to want those experiences anymore for myself.

This is my personal choice for a life style.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 05:11 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2014 23' International
Saint louis , Missouri
Hey guys. Sorry for the coded message but it IS an Anonymous program. I guess I just assumed the only folks who'd respond would recognize the handshake.

I'm specifically targeting 4th of July weekend 2015 when at least 50,000 members of the program will attend an international convention in Atlanta. Figured some of us might be towing our airstreams to the event and if so might want to camp together.

Protagonist - you're right - if you can quit on your own and you're living a happy fulfilled life you're likely not an alcoholic. If you do ever want to understand more about the program I'd be happy to share what I know.
"Homer"
loislane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 05:12 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Well said
Old 07-17-2014, 05:25 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I like the idea of a rally with no alcohol.
We don't drink, and it feels awkward and out of place when we are the only ones not drinking.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 05:59 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Sorry for the high jack.

Hi, and I was feeling like I was the only non-drinker out there in Airstream land. Almost four decades ago, I decided for several reasons, that I no longer needed or wanted to drink anything with alcohol. Even a sip of champaign at a wedding doesn't happen anymore.

Another term that I have never heard of before. [Bill W.]

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 06:48 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Van Wert , Ohio
Loislane....and perfectly good idea for a rally and I applauded your energy and strength...and vision.
Old 07-17-2014, 07:02 PM   #14
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
LoisLane - if you want to get busy organizing a rally we can offer a little assist. Read here: Forum Rallies for some basic ideas to get started - I'm betting there will be several folks interested.

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote