Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-13-2015, 05:37 PM   #1
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
So... you’ve got a 34’?

And by coincidence, we’re headed out Wednesday to go and perhaps drive back home with a “new” to us ’08 Classic.

The longest Airstream we’ve had had been a 30’ Classic, the shortest, a ’67 Safari 22’. There'd been a couple in between those sizes throughout the years...

A 34’ is a different animal with three axles and a longer overhang off the rear wheels. So, were there any adjustment issues for those of you going from shorter units to a 34’? What were the pluses, the minuses? What about parks & RV parks - any issues with size? I’ve read some of 2Airs posts regarding that and links he’s provided and those have been very helpful.

Essentially... I’m just looking for personal experiences and insights from the folks who travel with a 34 footer... How has the 34’ enhanced or detracted from your camping?
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 05:49 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
We love ours, will never have anything else.

Only difference I find is you need to pull farther forward before backing into a site.
WBCCI #268 Palmetto State Airstream Club 22
Region 3 Past President....come with us, you will like it.

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Are you kind?..... Uncle John's Band
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 06:46 PM   #3
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Can I reply since we have a 34' Avion???

My wife is pretty much along for the ride, so I'll give you my two cents.

I LOVE our 34-footer. Of course, it IS longer and it IS heavier, but I really like the way it tows. Three axles really help it feel rock-solid as you are going down the road. If anyone says "I can hardly tell it's back there", I'd have to wonder. I like the way it backs in to spots. Much easier to back than a short trailer. You just have to keep in mind that the trailer IS 34' long when you are towing it, make allowances on turns, and you need more distance if/when you are passing someone. There are obviously some tight spots that you would not want to go with the trailer, but that has not been a hindrance for us. Gas stations and restaurants are places where you want to make sure you survey closely and make sure there's enough room to get in and out without becoming a problem in the parking lot. And, you can't whip through grocery store parking lots as easy. If you just keep "34 feet" in mind, you'll be ok and you'll enjoy the heck out of it!

We both like the added space of the 34-footer.
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 07:06 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Our 86 Limited has been in the family since new. I remember when Grandpa brought it home saying how 3 more feet off his older 31 really made a difference in the front room. He had a swivel rocker to sit in! I remember thinking how it was built like a business jet inside. Small and luxurious.

So we have had it since 05 and enjoy it as much as they did. It has held up through the years. I guess it has over 200,000 miles on it. There are some back in campsites where I need to make a couple of attempts, but I always make it in. It tows very nicely, and it is quite comfortable. It would be a good trailer for full time travelers as it has lots of storage room.

Some say there is too much stress on the axle spindles when making turns as there is a lot of tire drag. I do leave skid marks when backing into my driveway. But I have had no axle troubles, knock on wood.

Airstream doesn't make a 34 footer anymore. Maybe they will hold their value a bit better.

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 07:11 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1994 34' Excella
Warren , Manitoba
It is no big deal going from a 31' to a 34'!!! Love the extra room and it pulls easier than the 31. Noticed no difference in fuel consumption. Not a whole lot of difference in pulling into fuel stations, as there is only 3' extra length. More of a thing in your mind with the 3 axles. I try to back in with a little less angle so that the tires don't scrub as much. If you were comfortable pulling your previous trailers, you will have no problems!!! Chris
ACI #7394
2012 GMC 2500 HD Duramax Denali
1994 Excella 34'
1987 Limited 34', 1976 31', 1976 Argosy 22' Gone to new homes
Hensley Hitch
CBWELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 07:20 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
I would love to see the floorpans and/or any interior photos of the 34 footers. Can any of you share them?
DHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 07:52 PM   #7
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHart View Post
I would love to see the floorpans and/or any interior photos of the 34 footers. Can any of you share them?
Check out the forum classifieds, there’s several 34’ for sale with pictures...
Old 09-13-2015, 08:21 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxon View Post
Check out the forum classifieds, there’s several 34’ for sale with pictures...
Thanks Bill, will do.
DHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 10:56 PM   #9
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Thanks for the replies - we’ll have about 2,000 miles on the trip back home to get used to it, towing with a 2015 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 6.0L gasser.

Looking forward to a leisurely drive back and some fun nights going through all the trailers systems & such. Be interesting to experience the slide and additional room that provides... especially after having been in a 22’ for a year or so.
Old 09-14-2015, 10:54 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Box Elder (formerly Long Island, NY) , South Dakota
ANY vehicle / trailer that has a long overhang AFT of the rear axle(s) MAY have the rearmost section scrape the pavement going up or down "steep" driveways. You'd rarely have that problem using a truck stop but, I've experience said scraping entering / leaving some gas stations / other businesses. Pay attention! Avoid such driveways if possible. "Attack" at an angle if you can't avoid.
NY24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 11:32 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Send a message via Skype™ to Jenniflow
We have a 34' trailer and a 34.5 moho and we love the room in them. We never planned to get the trailer, but it showed up the exact morning I had decided to look for a small office, so it felt like fate. We've not traveled with the trailer though, just used it as an office, so I can't comment on the towing part.

When I was first researching what RV to buy, I read that the most common regret among people interviewed about their RV purchases was that they'd gotten one that was too small. So when my '86 345 moho showed up on a bleak parking lot I barely thought twice.

It's true that it's harder to get into some campgrounds, into some gas stations, into some a number of things. I found I was more comfortable with a little planning ahead.

We have just felt that the inconveniences were worth the extra room. Both I and my husband are tall and the smaller spaces feel too cramped overall to us. And the longer unit makes for a better away space, a great benefit when trying to keep your sanity on long trips.

Enjoy yours and don't back into the picnic table. Well. Not too hard, anyway.
Jenniflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 12:54 PM   #12

1994 34' Excella
Whitewater , Wisconsin
I'm the third owner of a '94 Excella 1000 34 footer. We have spent 5 winters traveling from Homestead, FL to Phoenix. as far north as the UP of Michigand and as far south as S. Padre, TX. I have no experience with any Airstream other than our 34 footer but have driven tour buses, school buses and pulled various farm equipment and a 22 foot boat. My wife says we need a shorter trailer. She has pulled ours 10 miles and has never parked it. I would rather park the 34 footer than any pop-up. I always take every corner as wide as there is room. I avoid right hand turns when possible and will go around the next block making left hand turns if necessary. The 34 will push you down hills and caution should be used. We like our twin recliners and that we have enough room to haul our bicycles in the living room. Ours sleeps 2 and all our relatives and friends know that. I won't have anything else.
JBula is offline   Reply With Quote