Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2013, 07:35 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Helena , Central Montana
Should We Feel Bad?

Do you think we should feel bad spending our children's inheritance on a new AS? Just joking, we don't feel bad at all.

We have to wait until after the first of the year (2014) to buy our new AS and I think we'll use our current Gasaholic TV to tow it.

Another problem is trying to find people to buy our cars (2), motorcycles (2) and a 21' Toy Hauler in our move to downsize. We don't want payments so that can delay our purchase even further. No luck using Craig's list either.

The 2 MC's are Harleys and it seems like no one wants them anymore. I'm sure the car's will sell eventually and next spring maybe the Toy Hauler.

Anyway we are praying that our dealer doesn't sell either of the 2 AS's we're interested in because they have great prices on both units.

Does anyone feel Bad for us?
Old 11-03-2013, 07:43 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Feel bad for you? Not if you're getting an Airstream :-)

On your stuff - you could try the classifieds here and what about trade ins at your Airstream dealer? You never know - maybe the dealer knows someone who is looking for Harleys to load in their EB?? :-)
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 08:13 AM   #3
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
As for the toy hauler, have you considered asking the dealer to sell it for you on consignment? You'd have to pay his commission out of the sale price, but you can't beat the convenience. When you drive to the dealer to pick up your new Airstream, tow the toy hauler there and drop it off. That also lets you pack all the gear you'll want in your Airstream into the toy hauler, and then swap the stuff over to the Airstream right there at the dealer's lot.
Old 11-03-2013, 08:27 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Helena , Central Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
As for the toy hauler, have you considered asking the dealer to sell it for you on consignment? You'd have to pay his commission out of the sale price, but you can't beat the convenience. When you drive to the dealer to pick up your new Airstream, tow the toy hauler there and drop it off. That also lets you pack all the gear you'll want in your Airstream into the toy hauler, and then swap the stuff over to the Airstream right there at the dealer's lot.
Our Airstream dealer is over 300 miles from us in another state and we have at least 3 very steep mountain passes to go over in order to get there. The other thing is this is an Airstream only dealer and they sell nothing else but AS. I talked with them twice about it and they really don't want to take it and with their smallish lot really wouldn't have a place for consignments. If they take in a trade they usually get rid of it ASAP to a local RV dealer and take a big hit doing so.

Everything I have is paid for so I'm not going to trade or sell it cheap just for the sake of getting rid of it. I'm retired so I have nothing but time.

We'll just have to grin and bare it for now.
Old 11-03-2013, 08:47 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Cleveland , Tennessee
I feel bad for you if you don't get an AS. Either one at your dealer or one from somewhere else. If you leave the AS to the children, they can keep it or convert it back to cash.

Remember, it's your savings. It doesn't become their inheritance till after you pass.

AIR 22749 WBCCI 2349 NOVA TAC TN-6
1989 345 LE Classic Motorhome
3 Dog Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 08:58 AM   #6
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
I took a good hit selling my previous SOB. It came down to couple k's but I knew if I didn't sell it then( september), there was a chance everyday something would happen to the sOb in way of leak, roof etc and I did not want to carry it over another winte, or have to repair something from just sitting.. The risk of repairs too high, especially my brand came out all newly redesigned and I knew it would now look even extra old on the road.

So I took hit, got the money, got the AS and vlived happily ever after.
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 10:41 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I'm happy for you!

Rejoice and enjoy, you'll have a blast.

Maggie
Old 11-03-2013, 10:47 AM   #8
LFM
3 Rivet Member

2007 19' Safari SE
Laurel , Montana
Bretz in Missoula and Billings sell Airstreams, and handle other brands.
LFM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 11:44 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Helena , Central Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by LFM View Post
Bretz in Missoula and Billings sell Airstreams, and handle other brands.

I don't want to go into any big discussions, but I would never buy a thing from Missoula. I'll just leave it at that.

The couple that own Airstream of Spokane is where I would eventually buy my new Airstream from. They have been genuine, up front and very helpful every time I've talked to them either in person or on the phone.

We also have family and friends in Spokane so it's nice to visit.

Thanks
Old 11-03-2013, 12:40 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
Missoula , Montana
Hmmm... there are SOME things worth buying over here! Cold Smoke... Moose Drool... come to mind. And, there are a couple of us right-thinkers trying to hold the line against the barbarians at the gates! But, I'll agree with you - we drive west for all our work and Doug is happy to drop parts in the mail to us if we need them. Working with those guys is worth the drive!

(Hey - wait! Are you a 'Cat?!?)
TAC
TCT
OilnH2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 02:50 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Helena , Central Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilnH2o View Post
Hmmm... there are SOME things worth buying over here! Cold Smoke... Moose Drool... come to mind. And, there are a couple of us right-thinkers trying to hold the line against the barbarians at the gates! But, I'll agree with you - we drive west for all our work and Doug is happy to drop parts in the mail to us if we need them. Working with those guys is worth the drive!

(Hey - wait! Are you a 'Cat?!?)
Besides the fact that Missoula has some great pizza!! We have a granddaughter in college (Go Griz) as well as close friends in Missoula too.

Thanks for the affirmation over in Spokane.
Old 11-30-2013, 02:21 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salsa Master View Post
Our Airstream dealer is over 300 miles from us in another state and we have at least 3 very steep mountain passes to go over in order to get there. The other thing is this is an Airstream only dealer and they sell nothing else but AS. I talked with them twice about it and they really don't want to take it and with their smallish lot really wouldn't have a place for consignments. If they take in a trade they usually get rid of it ASAP to a local RV dealer and take a big hit doing so.

Everything I have is paid for so I'm not going to trade or sell it cheap just for the sake of getting rid of it. I'm retired so I have nothing but time.

We'll just have to grin and bare it for now.
Don't forget Airstream Adventures Northwest in Boise, ID
as well as Seattle (Covington) and Portland, OR.
We found a super deal on just what we wanted (although we were looking at buying an airplane)! Well worth the drive - even in the winter cold of February... they treated us GREAT! PM if you need any contact names.

I, too, am retired and on a limited monthly income, but truly you will ask yourselves just why did we wait so long to get what we really wanted. We took a real hit when we traded in our SOB on the first AS, but it is now water under the bridge and we don't regret making the deal at all. Maintenance on the AS is a breeze compared to the SOB. Every year we get older and resultantly have less time to enjoy what we want in life. As my dearly departed Dad told me ... you quickly forget what you spent to get quality & exactly what you wanted, but when you compromise, you never forget the deal and the lost $$ (within budgetary constraints, of course).

Note also that there is a factory sponsored "incentive" on all 2013 and earlier unregistered units at this time (IIRC until 12/31)- just got the email last week from OH.
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 05:23 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
The rationale behind acquiring the first Airstream was we should drive and actually see the US because from 35,000 feet up in an airliner, one misses the details.

After ordering the Classic 27FB in June, we continued talking about many aspects of that unit, but kept coming back to the realization that the rear 15' was identical to the rear 15' of our 25FB International except for the wood versus formica cabinets, flooring pattern and fuzz on the walls. We were really disappointed in our inability to get comfortable at the dinette to watch TV or sit comfortably while eating. The bed and overhead locker access issue in the 25FB would be resolved by switching to twin beds in the Classic.

I decided that we should enjoy life while we are still mobile. It is much better to be able to "Remember when we did...." than "I wished we would have done...."

I realized that if we acquired the 27FB and were unhappy, then moving to the Classic 30 would be a huge cost in the tens of thousands due to depreciation and dealer profit on the trade. If we made the decision now, then the incremental price difference was only $3,012 which makes this upgrade one of the least expensive upgrades I think I have done in my life.

Our Dodge Ram will not notice the difference of under 500 pounds loaded weight towing either the Classic 27FB or the Classic Model 30. The only challenge, as I see it, is that the Classic Model 30 is just over three feet longer than the Classic 27FB (or just over five feet longer than the International 25FB) and may present parking issues at some locations. That is not an unsurmountable issue and can be worked around with advance planning.

Happiness is an inside job and material things can often allow one to enjoy life in a more relaxed manner. We are looking forward to our individual trips and group gatherings starting next February.

Reading the forum for over a year has greatly influenced our discussions and decision making process to acquire both the model and trim level of the trailer and as well as selecting all the accessories and necessary equipment.

Thanks to all for their input.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote