Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-22-2018, 04:32 PM   #1
Rivet Master

She's gone - but not a sad day

After sitting idle for the last eight or nine years, our '85 Sovereign is gone. But she is now our daughter's and son-in-law's and they and our grandchildren will have a chance to build many memories.

To get the coach on the road - not finished, you understand, just on the road - took many thousands and much work. All it needed was a new power jack, fresh water tank, tank vales, converter and fuses, repairs to the pan underneath, plumbing, complete new brakes and hubs, A/C, water heater, and on and on. But when we hitched up, connected the umbilical, and all the lights came on I felt like Dr. Frankenstein with his monster; "It's alive! It's alive!". It felt so good to see it on the road again.

I have a post to make about the new converter and fuse box, and then I am likely through with posts to this forum. I have learned never to say never, but I believe both our Airstream and RVing days are over. My daughter, however, is already active here, and will be here often as she renovates the interior.

We do not morn and all our memories are good ones. I regret not a single cent spent nor a moment of time. Thank all of you who have helped and encouraged us over the years.

Thank you.

Thank you.
Old 04-22-2018, 04:44 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1998 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Shepherdstown , West Virginia
What a great post and I really like your final words of no regret.

Now that you sold the Airstream, time to get a new Cadillac SUV so you can visit them in campgrounds while your in a hotel someplace
Mike1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 06:43 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
What a fine way to pass the torch and to know it's going to a good home that you can visit.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 05:18 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
What a great post! It was a melancholy day this past spring when the entire family got together and pitched in preparing my parents 5th wheel for sale to a new owner. We had a nice picnic at my brothers house and reminisced about all the camping trips we had with my parents growing up. We laughed, we cried and we remembered. I am so glad to hear that your Airstream is staying in the family and the memories will continue.
Old 04-23-2018, 06:52 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2009 28' International
Pacific Palisades , California
What a beautiful farewell! I’m positive your family will create with your grandchildren the same kind of wonderful
memories that you did with them!

Now you get to enjoy their stories, photos, and the chance to visit them on the road!
gecko is offline   Reply With Quote