Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2013, 12:33 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
prattville , Alabama
Cool Scooter transport

I have a dodge 2500 diesel with a cap on the 8ft. bed. I wanting to carry a small 150 cc scooter. I have seen a few mounted on the front of the truck but it appears to block the headlights. Not sure if this is legal in most states unable to find any info on line from DMV website. Anyone have any info on this or if there are down sides to this mounting method ,or a better way to transport a scooter. Thanks.
bearrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 12:58 PM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearrand View Post
I have a dodge 2500 diesel with a cap on the 8ft. bed. I wanting to carry a small 150 cc scooter. I have seen a few mounted on the front of the truck but it appears to block the headlights. Not sure if this is legal in most states unable to find any info on line from DMV website. Anyone have any info on this or if there are down sides to this mounting method ,or a better way to transport a scooter. Thanks.
In most states, anything that blocks the headlights, including tinted headlight covers or wire rock guards, is illegal for on-road use. I'm sure that would include a front-mount scooter rack.

One way around that would be to mount supplemental headlights in front of the scooter rack; provided those headlights are properly adjusted and aimed.

Id be more concerned about the effect on your cooling system; a front-mounted scooter rack would have to interfere with airflow through your radiator when a scooter is carried.
Old 06-12-2013, 01:05 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
We carry our bikes on a front mounted bike rack. Haven't been stopped in 50000 miles or so. The headlights shine through the bike spokes and there is minimal reflection. I don't tow at night so I don't know how much, if any, the light is attenuated.

That said, a scooter is a more solid critter and may totally occlude the headlights drawing the attention of your local pd.

Mike
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 02:40 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
prattville , Alabama
Thanks

Thanks for the input. I was pretty sure that it would be a problem but you see all kinds of things out on the road. I find myself shaking my head quite often when I see people pulling a 30 ft camper and the rear wheels are bottomed out on the TV. Thanks again
bearrand is offline   Reply With Quote