Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-16-2013, 04:48 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
sarasota , Florida
'Safe' on board ?

I don't mean "do you feel safe" onboard your AS. I mean do you have a safe or lockbox on your AS. Before the end of the year, my wife (airkar) and I will be full-time with our 27' International. Which means we will have our personal affects with us (cash, rings, watches, keys, passports etc). Of course, we lock our door on the AS when we walk out. But even if we just do an over night at a local state park only locking the door and leaving our "good stuff" in one of the drawers causes me to pause for a moment. The only thing I've ever had stolen while camping was a fishing pole. But, it still was a $250 outfit that got lifted out of my boat, next to less expense fishing poles. So, he knew what to look for. If you have a safe, is it hidden, what size, what brand name etc. Thanks.
airron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 06:04 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Harbor Freight has some small cheap safes. It's possible to bolt it thru the floor to slow down a thief.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 06:54 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Palomar Mountain , California
Sportsman's Guide has a nice small one for medicine bottles - but works great for money, etc. It's smaller than other ones I've seen and fits nicely in the back of a cabinet. I paid $50 or so for it.
Silver Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 09:03 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Once the thief finds the safe, how do you keep him from cutting it away from whatever it's attached to (if it's attached) and walking off with it?
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 09:38 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
Yakima , Washington
We have a safe, bolted to the floor. It may slow someone down, but if they have enough time while you are out, and the inclination, they could rip it out, but not without a lot of effort or noise. It may be enough to deter them and have them move on to another camp site, but who knows. If nothing else it gives my some piece of mind.

1997 25' Safari
2012 Chevy Silverado HD 2500
Duramax/Allison
dirigible25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 10:11 PM   #6
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Locks are for honest people. It annoys crooks and only gives them motivation for more damage.

Leave $50 in dollar bills and a coin bucket an they may leave the rest of your effects untouched...maybe.

We have had folks break in and destroy amazingly well built safes. And that was at a church office where they had time and cover for their dastardly deeds. A small safe is a good idea.. Easy pickings with some things that look like keepsakes in it. Find a hide for the real valuables... Taped under and behind a sink or toilet. In fridge/ freezer, etc. another place is under countertop after you pull out a drawer.

For "personal" protection, your wits keep you sharp. A weapon will be used against you. When a firearm clears leather, it does its job. The only time it should be used is when your life is threatened. A criminal will not be dissuaded by presence of firearm, they are looking to take yours then use it on you. You only get one chance to protect yourself.

I knew men who hunted other men to kill them for fun. They appeared terrifyingly normal. Probably because they feared no one.

You may have heard of "the Luby's massacre" in Killeen, Texas. A "normal" guy drive truck through front door, blocking escape that way, ordered everyone on the ground and started walking through shooting people. One of our dear friends was shot when she reached out to comfort a friend who was there with her. The guy shot her instead saying something like "oh, you want to protect her... Ok you die for her then." Connie was a very special lady...

It will happen again in a world of sheep....but I hope I am able to do something... And I will have a fighting chance. I won't elaborate for obvious reasons.

I will not live in fear or denial.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 10:23 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
And, a thief could always just take your Airstream...

If your tow vehicle (TV) has an alarm, you might consider putting a small safe in it. There are several fairly secure console safes designed to store weapons that might work well for valuables. That way these items would most likely be closer to where you are; and your TV alarm might draw more attention to thieves than seeing someone inside your Airstream.

I would place any high-value jewelry, etc., in a safety deposit box near where you call home, or near the residence of a close relative or the executor for your will. Passports and similar documents are OK to travel with you, since you may need them; and these items can be replaced if lost or stolen.

Costco has a small safe similar to the ones in some hotels:

Sentry®Safe Electronic Card Access Hotel Safe

Note: Lots of other safes also listed at above link; SEARCH for "Safe". However, I'd shop around to find the best value on the most secure safe that fits your needs.

We have a small safe, but we don't store anything of significant value in it (a little cash, spare keys, etc.). Valuables are left at home or in a safety deposit box.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 05:16 AM   #8
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameront120 View Post
Once the thief finds the safe, how do you keep him from cutting it away from whatever it's attached to (if it's attached) and walking off with it?
ALL non-weapon protective measures— including safes— are meant only to slow down any vile miscreant who wants to do you harm. You cannot stop a determined and prepared thief/vandal/etc. All you can do is make it too difficult for the casual perp who is looking for an easy score.

No matter how well you bolt down a safe, a thief with a big enough crowbar who doesn't care about damaging your trailer can eventually remove it, if he has enough time to work. But the druggie teenager who is looking for something he can pawn to pay for a fix will grab some of your electronics and run, leaving your safe alone.
Old 08-17-2013, 01:58 PM   #9
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
http://inroomsafe.com/

There's a start...
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 02:56 PM   #10
Rivet Master

I locked my trailer before hitting the road....

My 5'3" gal friend broke it as she wanted to add another outfit for the trip.
( outcome...window and lock repair )

1) why bring jewelry on a camping trip.

2) Cost of safe, cost of installation of safe, cost of repair when crook extricates safe......has to be more than the cash that I carry.

3) I hear that cops and robbers know most of the good hiding spots

4) annual cost to insure musical equipment $1000...I've been robbed three times for a total of $3000

5) Really great hiding places are too much of a pain to use

6) " Smile...you're on camera sign "..... Eight dollars
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 07:37 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
Be sure to search for other threads about this , there's some great information on the forum.
Skatiero is offline   Reply With Quote