Old 02-09-2009, 07:14 AM   #1
Islander

2005 28' International CCD
Deer Harbor , ORCAS ISLAND WA
Running away from home

I am planning to buy an airstream trailer 23 footer or so, pull it with my 2004 GMC Denali. ... am 63 years old and want to runaway from home and see the couuntry before i expire....have been reading and lurking for some time....need to put it all together....want to head for the national parks, wildlife refuges, workcamp, boondoock and figure life out....

need to know definetively about computer acess, tv, solar, GPS devices. etc. etc, etc

any thoughts????

seashores

Old 02-09-2009, 07:23 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Whoa, there is alot in this post. First off - welcome to the Air Forums. I'm sure you will find all your questions will be answered here on Airstreams and lifing the full timers life. Check in the archives - there are many posts on living, working and in general escaping in an AIrstream.

You have a plan - or a framework to live by - sounds like an adventure many of us would like to attempt.

I'm sure the services you desire once on the road will be available and now days not that expensive. Ask specifics and the answers from experienced members will come.

Cellular access to the internet is available in many urban areas, it drops off in large national parks, GPS units are common and very fancy now with a lot of aptions available for little cost, solar - lots of threads on everything from the units themselves, power management, installation, and living off the grid.

Good Luck - check in with us from time to time.

CB

clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 07:29 AM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Welcome from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

Sounds like a great plan to me. There's a lot of information here on these Forums on all of the issues that you mentioned. Anything that you can't find, just ask.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 07:34 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1995 25' Excella
Blandford , Massachusetts
Great, go for it! Got the same bug a little earlier than you before I retired. Traveled a lot by air in business world and never enjoyed the schedule, delays, cancellations et al. But wanted to see the country on our time, in our bed and not out of a suitcase. If we liked where we were- stay longer; if not we're outta here.

We enjoy touring mansions, gardens, national parks and historical places (such as Civil War battlefields). We have parked the Airstream in Maine for the summer and Florida at Paradise Airstream Park for the winter. But we travel to and from those and in between. Six years older than you now, but still got the bug.

Enjoy while you can!
Old 02-09-2009, 07:36 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1993 34' Limited
Melbourne Florida , Springfield Ohio
Also, welcome to the forum - you say you are 63 - you have at least 27 more years to enjoy your Airstream - take the necessary time to purchase the correct unit for your needs. Best of success.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:58 AM   #6
Islander

2005 28' International CCD
Deer Harbor , ORCAS ISLAND WA
follow up

So i am looking at a 23' safari and it seems to include most everything- wired for solar?? wired for sat tv?? and i would like to plan to have it rigged and ready to go when i leave the dealer- am just beginning to talk to dealer and haven't really gone into it but first salesman i got really seemed eager but knew less than i did. i need to go to school.....any thoughts

seashores
Old 02-09-2009, 10:53 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1998 28' Excella
Dolores , Colorado
Welcome to the Forums;

You will find that your A/S will come equiped with whatever your desire, solar, sattelite, etc. The 23' unit is a fairly desireable unit. You must consider that the 23' includes tip to toe, i.e. the hitch is included in the 23' so you are only getting about 20' of useable space. I am 63 and looking forward to retirement when we can hit the road and get out of snow country in the winter time and spend summer months at our home base. Good luck in your decision.

Bob
Member Four Corners Unit/CAC
WBCCI # 10105
AIR # 28748
Old 02-09-2009, 01:26 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
take me with you please.
Old 02-09-2009, 06:20 PM   #9
The Silver Schooner

2007 28' Safari SE
Dover , New Hampshire
Hi and welcome.
You didn't say if you are going full time or will have a house to return to whenever. That could make a difference in the length of the trailer you choose.

For internet I've gone with the recommendations of several full timers and got a Verizon aircard for about $60 a month + taxes. Coverage is good and my friends have never had a problem getting on line (I'm not full time - yet but will be in a few months. ) For TV, Direct TV seems to be the recommended choice - as all their channels are on one satellite - which means less hassle getting signals for various channels. You can have a dish installed or go with a portable, which entails learning how and fussing with setting it up. It depends on how important TV is to you and your budget.

Solar has it's benefits and drawbacks - not so good when the weather is gloomy or low winter sun or if you are parked under trees in the shade which can be desireable. But once you get by the inital cost it certainly has the benefits of not dealing with generators and fuel. It depends on your power needs and your tolerance for keeping track of your supply or just firing up the generator - which can have restricted hours in some campgrounds.

Just plow through all the stuff here on the forums - there's an amazing wealth of info, ask questions and enjoy figuring out what may work for you. The key is to make decisions that will work for how you want to live in your AS. What works for some is not important to others!
Old 02-09-2009, 06:40 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Take us with you.

We have been fulltiming for awhile now, and most of the campgrounds have wifi, usually free. We purchased a signal booster and had better luck with them.

Good luck on your future, and welcome to the forums.

Marie
Old 02-09-2009, 08:49 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1963 24' Tradewind
Highland , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfisher24 View Post
and figure life out....

seashores
If you do, will you post and let us know?

I don't know where you are in Texas but there are a couple dealers, Roger Williams and Camper Clinic, that seem to have good reputations there.

Sounds like a great plan! Good luck.

Air #4056

"Oooh - They have the Internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 12:31 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Get to a rally

Quote:
So i am looking at a 23' safari and it seems to include most everything- wired for solar?? wired for sat tv?? and i would like to plan to have it rigged and ready to go when i leave the dealer- am just beginning to talk to dealer and haven't really gone into it but first salesman i got really seemed eager but knew less than i did. i need to go to school.....any thoughts

seashores
One surefire way to get a wealth of info and a look at various models and setups is to go to a rally - either a Airforums rally or a WBCCI rally. Look under the rally tab above - there are several great rallies in your area. Then you can see things work (or not) get real user comments and really get into the fun of owning an Airstream.

It's a big investment - the decision you have already made - so let the people who have done this some help guide you along.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 10:02 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' International CCD FB
Everett , Washington
You, my dear, will have a blast.

We ran away from home from April 2008 until a few weeks ago... enjoyed every minute!

This is a great website full of sage wisdom. Just pop a topic in the specialized google box above under the search menu and mine the information. If it's not covered, ask!

Several folks also keep blogs on trips, full-timing and restoration. Those are great resources as well.

Have the time of your life... you've earned it!
WBCCI #4018

Just call us Jean & Bill :-)
HankandLois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 11:03 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Kyle , The Republic of Texas
Quote:
So i am looking at a 23' safari and it seems to include most everything- wired for solar?? wired for sat tv?? and i would like to plan to have it rigged and ready to go when i leave the dealer- am just beginning to talk to dealer and haven't really gone into it but first salesman i got really seemed eager but knew less than i did. i need to go to school.....any thoughtsseashores
Seashores - You're on the right track, asking questions here. After all, this is hands down THE resource for all things Airstream. The search function is someting I haven't been able to get much out of, yet. Hopefully you will have more success, or a mod will step in with helpful suggestions.

Some thoughts -
DO YOUR REASEARCH!! Buying one model, only to discover you'd ultimately prefer a larger or smaller trailer is expensive. Consider all possible issues - the tow vehicle, is the wife / partner / girlfriend / grandkids ever going to be with you, closet space vs. your lifestyle - you know the routine. I think it's also important to KNOW you'll be comfortable in a somewhat confined space - some folks like the idea that a trailer CAN'T accomodate all our collected "stuff", thus you have to weed out the things you haven't seen or used on ages, as well as the stuff you'll no longer use or need very often. Storage somewhere may be a short term solution until you learn if full timing is your cup of tea. Your current tow vehicle might do the trick with a short or vintage trailer, but may not fit the bill with a larger new trailer if hills & mountains are in your travel plans.

Be patient (I wasn't), assess your real needs/uses (I didn't), don't skimp on your tow vehicle (I got that one right for once), and at this point in your adventure - USE THE KNOWLEDGE BASE HERE ON THE FORUMS before you make any decision, in an effort to make the best informed decision you can - the first time.

Good luck and please do post often with your ideas and/or your decisions.