Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-30-2009, 02:46 AM   #61
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Jackson Center

Jackson Center Ohio IS the home of the Airstream factory. AKA the "Mothership"

They provide parking for I think up to 18 - or 21 Airstreams at three circles in the back of an open field - and call the area the Terra Port

You can stay there free if you're having service done - and it's $10 per night if you just want to hang out in the neighborhood. It's back in parking though. If you get there after the service dept closes and there is a vacant space just pull in and hook up, then see the people at the desk in the morning. If you mapquest Jackson Center, and go for an arial view, you'll see the factory to the west, the service area to the east, the field with the three circles to the far east.

Paula
Old 03-31-2009, 03:48 AM   #62
Islander

2005 28' International CCD
Deer Harbor , ORCAS ISLAND WA
on the road----

picked up "coach" friday, loaded during the weekend...monday morn...the key to the highway!!!!
drove 450 miles thru the beautiful east texas springtime countryside and arrived at my first camp arkadelphia campgrounds, in the caddo valley...a truly beautiful place...preparing to leave in an hour or so headed for cave city kentucky.....

geranimo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
kingfisher24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 05:46 AM   #63
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
old mystic , Connecticut
Glad you are on the road, I'll bet you 've been grinning ear to ear since you pulled out of your driveway. Keep following that dream and keep us posted.

Be safe.

Annette
bullydogsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 06:43 AM   #64
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Good to hear from you! If you get into the NE Tennessee area, Cumberland Gap is beautiful this time of year and there is a Museum of Appalachia there that is so fascinating---tons of photos, artifacts and anecdotal information from the settling of the area, plus numerous original log structures which are restored and furnished with period items. We were there nearly 3 hours and didn't see it all, will be going back.

Have a wonderful time, and will be looking for more info from you!
Old 08-05-2009, 07:25 AM   #65
1 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fulltimer, so...wherever road takes us! , On the road!
Same!

Hello, and thank you for all the prompt responses~ Wow! Same question as Kingfisher, but really need advice on size. Running away from home...on a more or less permanant basis and need to know experienced thought on a good live aboard length. Single lady with 1 Pug and 1 very fierce Bichon. Air Force daughter, nurse, do disaster relief work now. Kids and friends all over the country. Would like a "home" I can entertain in, just a bit. Do I go with a restored vintage Bambi at 19' which I can tow behind my suv, or do I simply ditch my suv get a truck and go full size?
MissDaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 08:48 AM   #66
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Post Driving

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissDaisy View Post
Hello, and thank you for all the prompt responses~ Wow! Same question as Kingfisher, but really need advice on size. Running away from home...on a more or less permanant basis and need to know experienced thought on a good live aboard length. Single lady with 1 Pug and 1 very fierce Bichon. Air Force daughter, nurse, do disaster relief work now. Kids and friends all over the country. Would like a "home" I can entertain in, just a bit. Do I go with a restored vintage Bambi at 19' which I can tow behind my suv, or do I simply ditch my suv get a truck and go full size?
Hi Daisy,

All depends. I left home in 2000, and have been living on the road ever since. I chose a 28 footer and a very large tow vehicle, but I carry a small Motorcycle and large stretched canvases and paints, solar freezer, 6 12v batteries, large pantry, 40 gal aux water tank, ice maker, you get the picture.

I like to boondock for months at a time. You need to think about whether you would like to boondock or stay mostly at full hook-up parks.

The 28' is more than enough for me. I think I could downsize to 25 for sure.

Some people can live with a tent and a teardrop. Others, a 500,000 dollar motorhome or 5th wheel with 4 slid-outs and a jacuzzi.

IMHO 19 is to small.
Vintage: not practical, no gray water tanks, poor window seals, quirky water system, no A/C, replacement parts. (Vintage folks may flame me on this one)

80's 90's

Good luck on your quest!

The journey IS the destination...
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 12:12 PM   #67
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
Miss Daisy only you can decide what is best for you. I suggest you visit some trailer dealers and if possible attend a rally.

Rallies are excellent places to meet nice people, talk about their experience. Most people are proud of their trailers and like showing them off.

If you look thru a few trailers and talk to some people I am sure it will become clear to you if the lifestyle is for you and what size and style of Airstream suits you best.
Old 08-07-2009, 12:52 PM   #68
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Ganaraska says it well.

Sooner or later you'll sit in a trailer, walk around, check out the bed, see if you fit on the toilet (that's very important, especially for tall or otherwise big people), and that one will feel right. Then you'll know.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 10:20 PM   #69
1 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
LOL!!! Am a nurse...so can relate to your approach which is excellent and wise. We are healthier when our basic needs are met. I have actually done just that and settled on one of 2 models, 25fb or 27fb, which I prefer, now just deciding on the queen or twin model. Pro's and con's of both styles. Got a lead on a good towing vehicle and have now moved on to equipping it with a generator, solar power. This will definitely be a liveaboard for me. Thank you so much for the sage advice!
Old 08-07-2009, 10:48 PM   #70
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Oak View , California
Hi MissDaisy,

My earlier life was spent as a nurse and I bought mine a year ago, best thing I ever did. Changed my whole life! Funny, I was just thinking today if a twin bed might have been the better choice for me. Lots of people have turned the other bed area into a great office space. I have two labs, one sleeps on the front sofa, the other with me. If I had gotten the twin style, I could have had a bed of my own.

Luckily mine came equipped with solar and inverter already installed, they are great for when you can't find any outlets on the trees...

Good luck, keep us posted,
Carol
cclarkego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 06:02 AM   #71
1 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
Am posting this from my brand new 2009 27FB Flying Cloud! I've been "on board" for 2 weeks today and am still elated! Turned in the Mercedes Wagon, got the Chevy Avalanche and picked up the AS! Have been busy setting up house and it's wonderful! The Pug and Bichon are thrilled, they love having the panoramic windows in the front and back and having their OWN BED. I got the twin bed model-so they have full 360.

I've never towed a trailer in my life and have been impressed by my fellow campers who are happy to help me with parking, and was complimented on my "backup skills!" It's a fast learning curve!

Just wanted to say a big "THANK YOU" to all of you who have weighed in on advice! Also a thanks to all of those folks out there posting wonderful advice...I've read it all and taken heed. Not sure I could have made such a good, informed decision without all this help!

I've been to Florida, Alabama and SC so far, and can't quit grinning!

Hope to see you on the road!
:-)
Old 09-18-2009, 06:34 AM   #72
2 Rivet Member

2008 19' International CCD
Spring , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRW View Post
I recommend Tom K. at Camper Clinic II in Buda for sales, and Todd in service. Tom is laid back, low key, and IMHO will do a good job for you.

As far as service goes Todd is the guy I want working on my AS.

SRW
The guys in Buda are very good. I suggest you look around and out of state; especially Bates RV outside of Tampa; we ended up buying one there and we live in Houston. A dealer with a large selection in you size range really helps.

eleighj
eleighj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 08:20 AM   #73
Islander

still runnin

........well since starting this post....bought 08 25fb safari se...wanted solar installed by dealer...dealer talked good deal but did not know squat...but turned out to be good thing....most dealers and their sales folks do not know doodley squat.... made two trips to ohio...via arkansas, tenessee, kentucky and lousiana and mississippi....ventured on the nachez trace... stopped at the boyhood home of kermit the frog...roasted pigs on the fouth of july in barnesville ohio....talked the sparing partner of 34 years into selling the house and going fulltimin ( and the dogs, two english cockers...love travelin)
went to first airstream rally (detoured to palo duro canyon first).....in santa fe ...great people and a great time.....saw the rio grande gorge near taos....took off for cloudcroft, white sands, fort davis...
so house is for sale...no takers yet....next week head to our second airstream rally in port aransas with the texas highland lakes unit....then thanksgiving we are headed back to the coast to explore the padre island national seashore and other areas around the coast...then...day after christmas...house sold or not we are going to the third airstream rally...the 4cu unit for new years eve in arizona...and then an extended trip for three months to points yet unplotted....big bend for certain and ......

in the interim did install solar panels, inverter and such...remodled bedroom ....replaced floor with hickory pergo...- like willie nelson..."just can't wait to get on the road again"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DV_0149.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	87638   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0206.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	236.6 KB
ID:	87639  

Name:	IMG_0208.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	327.4 KB
ID:	87640   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0217.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	471.3 KB
ID:	87641  

Name:	IMG_0251.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	187.6 KB
ID:	87642   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0267.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	327.3 KB
ID:	87643  

Old 09-24-2009, 08:24 AM   #74
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Good for you!! Glad you have gotten out there and your partner has decided to join you. Sharing those daily road experiences with someone you are close to is just the best!

Good luck with the sale of the house.

Have a great time, travel safe and keep us posted.
Old 09-26-2009, 08:51 AM   #75
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
'fisher, you've come a long way since last February when running away was a dream. Glad to see your sparing partner is with you and hopefully no sparing.

Gene
Old 09-26-2009, 11:25 AM   #76
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Kingfisher:

Those dogs are really good looking dogs. What breed of spaniel are they? I have springers and they look like mine, but the color of their coats are really unique.

Brian
Old 09-26-2009, 01:19 PM   #77
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lothlorian View Post
Kingfisher:

Those dogs are really good looking dogs.
The women at the other end of the leash looks good too.

Gene
Old 09-26-2009, 06:46 PM   #78
4 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Malibu , California
Time is a wasting so hurry on along. Our country is beautiful, so much to see and enjoy. Move fast move slow but move along as time is ticking. Have fun streamin along the highways and you will be so happy you did it.
We like our 22 feet but we do not full time we just go out and about 1x a month.
We started streamin in January and have enjoyed all of our outings.
gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 09:01 AM   #79
Islander

dog is god spelled backwards

or as the bumper sticker says" dog is my co-pilot".....they are english cocker spaniles..."the glad companions"...they are great dogs and friends and traveling companions...."it's all good"...and down the road we go.....thanks to all...look for ole 2541 as we travel down the road and we'll look for youClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0282.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	480.7 KB
ID:	87753
Old 09-27-2009, 09:16 AM   #80
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Congratulations !!!!

Welcome to life on the road.

Look forward to our paths crossing one day.

On the road since 2000
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote