Old 03-20-2009, 06:59 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Oh my goodness! You are going to have an amazing time! The Black Hills are beautiful, and there are wonderful old West museums and historical sites out there. You are going to giggle every morning as you get up and realize what exploration and freedom is ahead of you. Drive safe.

Old 03-20-2009, 07:27 AM   #44
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
old mystic , Connecticut
You are going to have the time of your life. No clock to punch or schedules to keep. Is it still going to be just you and the dog? We are heading for MT Rushmore in mid July, maybe we'll see you on the road
Post some pictures when you get her home.
Annette

Old 03-20-2009, 07:35 AM   #45
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Classic FB
Anytown , Massachusetts
Fantastic! Enjoy every second you got a wonderful trailer!
Life is Good.
WBCCI #8701* TAC MA-1 * NEU UNIT
Gracie...A Liver & White GSP
Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'." - The Shawshank Redemption
Whirlaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 08:00 AM   #46
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
Walnut Cove , North Carolina
I think I spend at least an hour everyday rading this forum. The information is priceless and the friendships are wonderful. You will have so many wonderful adventures. Life is good, enjoy!
Old 03-20-2009, 10:15 AM   #47
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Your trip sounds great and you will have a lot of discoveries, many good, some a "learning experience".

There's a thread about mistakes we have made. I think this is it: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f4/h...ged-48724.html

You'll know you're not alone when you make the same mistakes lots of us do. You'll also get some laughs from it. And don't forget to change your profile to add your trailer.

Gene
Old 03-20-2009, 12:20 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfisher24 View Post
i pick up my silver wings next friday, then load up and hit the road monday morning , march 30.....headed for barnsville ohio...first stop arkadelphia arkansas...then Nashville and then mamouth cave kentucky and on to barnsville....

i am going to hang out with a great buddy there that raises texas longhorn cattle...he has thousands of acres of lush meadows, streams and lakes and woods and i am going to seclude myself among them for a while...

then i am going to turn left and head for the dokata blacklands and continue west in search of george armstrong custer.....

geranimo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

seashores
Not "Geranimo".... Crazy Horse!

Before you head out, camp overnight at the dealership! Check every system thoroughly and get it working correctly before you go. Often there can be minor annoyances such as the water heater flame burning too rich that are a simple tweak with a screwdriver to fix, but will drive you nuts on the road. Make sure you can set up and take down the awning. Do it yourself AFTER the dealer demonstrates it... you could look like the village idiot the first time you need it if you don't practice. Also check the shower and shower door for leaks. They are kinda notorious for that. Make sure you have a spare key for the door secured outside of the trailer. Some people keep a door key in the sewer hose storage tube... hidden there, no one looks! The door can lock itself if it's slammed too hard. (Send "Inland Andy" a SASE and he'll send you a free fix for that.)

Oh, and buy a GOOD slinky - the "freebies" that come with the unit are worth less than you pay for them.

Finally, tell your wife that you've just found out about the "Rivettes" - women who tow their own Airstreams alone. She'll think "trailer trollops" and probably elect to come with you. I have no idea where Barnsville Ohio is, but if you're near Jackson Center (west of Columbus) stop in and take the Airstream mothership factory tour. I am headed to Jackson Center, then Ravenna Ohio, then on to the Cherry Blossom Rally east of D.C.

See you down the road

Paula
Old 03-20-2009, 03:19 PM   #49
3 Rivet Member

1987 32' Excella
Poplar Bluff , Missouri
Kingfisher, I am soooooooooooo jealous! It's 4 years until I can take off like you, weeks and months at a time! Just got our 32' Excella, and am converting the twins to a queen to snuggle with swmbo... You might want to join AAA if you aren't already a member...never know when you'll need some tv assistance on the road. Good luck, have fun!
Steven
Old 03-20-2009, 04:28 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Adding to #48, also flush your toilet lots of times and check everywhere for leaks---both hooked up to water and running off your pump. We made [B]three[B] trips back to our dealer, who did NOT offer overnight in their lot and we were SO green, to get a toilet pipe (cut too short the first time) finally replaced. Before the third time, it exploded when we hooked up water and we spent a weekend flushing out of a bucket. You don't want that to happen on the road. AAA is a really good idea, we have it and it is invaluable for road service----you also get many discounts many places. You will find many friendly RV'ers at campgrounds who will be more than happy to help you with small things you can't figure out yourself, also keep your service guy's phone number in your cell phone for a while. It does take a while to get acclimated to everything and figure all the bells and whistles out, especially if this is your first. However, in spite of all these cautions and tips, you really are going to have the most MARVELOUS time!!!
Old 03-21-2009, 04:44 AM   #51
Islander

2005 28' International CCD
Deer Harbor , ORCAS ISLAND WA
Geranimo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!is what one yells as one jumps out of the plane...or hooks up the airstream and heads out............

crazy horse was mr. custer's nemisis

and quoting from paula

Finally, tell your wife that you've just found out about the "Rivettes" - women who tow their own Airstreams alone. She'll think "trailer trollops" and probably elect to come with you. I have no idea where Barnsville Ohio is, but if you're near Jackson Center (west of Columbus) stop in and take the Airstream mothership factory tour. I am headed to Jackson Center, then Ravenna Ohio, then on to the Cherry Blossom Rally east of D.C.

and then i insert

jackson center is exit 100 on I 70 and barnsville is exit 202 on I 70
and i am going to stop ther sometime in the next two weeks

and then paula says

See you down the road

Paula

and then

as the blues keeps saying....

Can't tell how long you're gone, can't tell how long you stay
It's good country fun, it's your home some day
Someday baby, ain't no trouble for me, anymore

Ah keep on dancin' baby, let me have one dance
Well I know when I go, I'm livin' too fast. Someday
I'll tell him about it, in my neighborhood
Gonna tell that little woman, that she don't do me no good. Someday

I know you're leaving, and your comin' back home
Oh, without my lovin lady, I can't stay long. Someday

Good Bye baby, ah take my hand
Don't want no woman no, which ain't have no man
Someday baby, you ain't gonna trouble poor me, anymore

from the ole blues song....trouble no more

more than thanks to all for the info...

like an ole fellow that worked for once was fond of saying..."study long/ study wrong" whip it out and go!!!!!

i did join AAA, i have on star as well....

leaving the dog at home...love him dearly, but he belongs to sparing partner and i do not want more friction and first trip out...i don't want anything to look after but my self

i am finally old enough to run away from home and

GERANIMO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-25-2009, 05:57 AM   #52
Islander

as always, confused

where is jackson center ohio and it is the factory???and one can stay the night there.....and get service if required????

well i pick up trailer this friday ..come home and pack...leaving monday morn mar 30th....first stop arkadeplphia arkansas for the night...then to cave city ky for a night and day...then to barnsville ohio for a week and then?????

joined AAA, good sam, have on star and on star turn by turn directions, a rand mcnallley atlas.......

GERANIMO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-25-2009, 07:38 AM   #53
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Barnesville, ravenna, jackson center, you guys are making me homesick as heck.. GO FOR IT DUDE, have a great time and TAKE YOUR TIME please. jim
Old 03-25-2009, 07:38 AM   #54
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Lots of dealers offer hookups on their lots for service customers, an invaluable and customer-producing service. We have not been to Jackson Center, but that is apparently the base of the mothership (I love that term!), who I am sure can help with anything needed (we have not been there). You might take that atlas and highlight on the national map page some dealer locations on your route, if you need to touch base with the experts. You will be going near some great folks at Airstream of Arkansas in Searcy, AR, who will be glad to provide tech support if you need it.

Really, Kingfisher, be sure to go through everything before you take off. And take your favorite beverage to toast your good fortune your first night out (we took champagne!). Have a wonderful time, and keep us posted. Will look for you on the road.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:35 AM   #55
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
JC is north of Dayton. I can't remember the number of the interstate that goes north from Dayton (near junction with I-70), but I think it's about 50 or 60 of 70 miles north to the JC exit. The town and factory is about 6 or 7 miles east. The factory is on the west side of town. It's a small town, so don't worry about getting lost.

They have a campground—the TerraPort—which is free if you are getting something fixed and really cheap if not. Factory tours are in the afternoon. I think it was 2 pm. last year.

We'll be there at the end of April.

Gene
Old 03-27-2009, 03:14 PM   #56
Islander

stars in my eyes

just picked up my trailer--- safari 25fb 08 model special edition...went thru the process at the dealers; put the awaning down and up numerous times...stilll fuzzy...but will make it...dual fans, stero many 12volt plugs for the lap top...now its off to wal mart...they say...for new slinky hose...hitch lock...many and other sundry items...spend week end packing and checking the list and then............monday morning ..up up and away