Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2017, 10:50 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Rude and Dangerous Drivers

I try hard to be polite and safe behind the wheel, not subjecting others to what I don’t want to be subjected to.

As a result, rude people tend to kinda piss me off on the road. It gets worse and worse, what happened to manners and common etiquette?

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 10:56 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Huntsville , Alabama
Totally agree.
Everyone out there just wants to get to his/her destination safely.

I've always tried to be especially polite to truckers since I know they have a hard time dealing with the idiots cutting them off, pulling out in front etc.
But now that I have a pretty big rig myself, it's really obvious how bad it really is out there.

Bottom line - Be nice - Be safe - Arrive alive.
Old 10-15-2017, 11:05 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Agreed. I like to think I am a courteous driver whether towing or not. (and I hope others think so!)

Perhaps what we are seeing is the result of people living a more stressful life these
days - especially those who are not retired as many of us are, and maybe have more worries to contend with.

It is amazing to watch people switching back and forth from lane to lane (often with no signals) in an attempt to gain a few feet.

Also what is strange when yoi do signal a lane change - perhaps to get in position for an upcoming exit - to notice people in the lane you wish to move to obviously speeding up in an effort to prevent your lane change. What causes people to feel the need to do this rather than to help?

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 11:30 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
Agreed. I like to think I am a courteous driver whether towing or not. (and I hope others think so!)

Perhaps what we are seeing is the result of people living a more stressful life these
days - especially those who are not retired as many of us are, and maybe have more worries to contend with.

It is amazing to watch people switching back and forth from lane to lane (often with no signals) in an attempt to gain a few feet.

Also what is strange when yoi do signal a lane change - perhaps to get in position for an upcoming exit - to notice people in the lane you wish to move to obviously speeding up in an effort to prevent your lane change. What causes people to feel the need to do this rather than to help?

Lol! Right?

Its crazy. Coming through Dallas yesterday was like watching angry ants. It’s madness. Every third vehicle has collision damage of some kind. I imagine insurance rates are atrocious there.

A few trips back I was driving in the second lane from the right when a little yellow car two or three lanes to my left decided to exit, cut across all of the lanes and stopped right in front of me because the exit lane was backed up. (We were traveling freeway speed).

Not knowing if I could stop or not, I moved left as far as I could without hitting the person to my left. Well, that really pissed the person to my left off.... lol I think he wanted to fight me, even as the little yellow car was still stopped in my lane 10 feet ahead of me.

Beer is good, and people are crazy.

Old 10-15-2017, 11:46 AM   #5
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by MWBishop View Post
Everyone out there just wants to get to his/her destination safely.
Unfortunately, too many people just want to get to their destination quickly, and mistake being lucky for being safe. As in, "I can safely follow 3 feet behind the guy in front of me at 10 miles over the speed limit in order to intimidate him into getting out of my way because I'm a safe driver." No, he's not. His lack of safety just hasn't caught up with him yet.

Defensive driving consists of giving idiot drivers the right of way whether they deserve it or not, so that they never learn the hard way that they're idiot drivers.

One thing said by science fiction author Robert Heinlein, in the voice of his recurring character, Lazarus Long, that seems to apply to too many drivers today: "The price of stupidity varies from nothing to death, and is determined entirely at random."
Old 10-15-2017, 11:50 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
It can be nuts out there for sure. I am amazed how some of these people have survived this long with their driving attitudes. I try my best just to smile and let it roll on by. I'm sure grateful that I don't have whatever it is that they have in their heads that makes them such turds on the road.
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 11:58 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Unfortunately, too many people just want to get to their destination quickly, and mistake being lucky for being safe. As in, "I can safely follow 3 feet behind the guy in front of me at 10 miles over the speed limit in order to intimidate him into getting out of my way because I'm a safe driver." No, he's not. His lack of safety just hasn't caught up with him yet.

Defensive driving consists of giving idiot drivers the right of way whether they deserve it or not, so that they never learn the hard way that they're idiot drivers.

One thing said by science fiction author Robert Heinlein, in the voice of his recurring character, Lazarus Long, that seems to apply to too many drivers today: "The price of stupidity varies from nothing to death, and is determined entirely at random."

Yesterday I saw a lady pulling a horse trailer move right one lane on the interstate, she obviously didn’t see the small car that was in the lane next to the back of the trailer as she made the slow lane change.

What amazed me was that the small car’s driver did not brake or slow down to avoid the hazard, he/she moved into the right shoulder and accelerated. Madness.

It seems people would rather be killed or injured as to give homage to common sense.

Old 10-15-2017, 12:18 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Often with no signals?
I rarely see ANY signal and if I do, it's not a "signal", which is supposed to tell other drivers what you're going to do, not what you are doing, or have done. I see drivers put on their signal when they have already entered my lane with 2 wheels. (I pretty much figured it out already .) Then there's the drivers that signal when they are already at the intersection. It would have been nice to know what they were going to do before they got there, which is the point of a signal.

Quote:
When I'm driving along and I see a driver coming up on my side and there's an obstruction ahead (lane ending, upcoming exit they want to use, etc.), I know they are going to try and jump in front of me at the last second. Today one was running on my right in the upcoming Interstate exit ramp, passing signs for 2 miles saying the right lane was for exiting to the other Interstate. Nothing behind me, nothing on my left, slower traffic in front of me. I knew he was going to jump in front of me and he did, crossing the Y median separating my lane and the exit ramp, spewing rocks behind him. He had room and time to come in behind me, go around to my left, but he didn't. He endangered both of us.

I normally keep a good, safe distance from traffic in front of me, but if I see someone like that coming up on my side, I have no problem speeding up just enough to make sure he/she cannot jump into my safety zone at the last second before they run out of road. If they have time/room, OK, not a problem, they can go ahead. But if I think I'm at risk, then yes, I will speed up because there is not going to be time to safely slow down.

I let plenty of people go ahead, especially if they put on a signal to let me know they want to come over.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 12:27 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
I think driving behavior is just an additional facet of the general lack of common courtesy that has become commonplace in today's life. I don't think they're just in a hurry, I think they think they are more important than everyone else, are bulletproof, and have no regard for others.

Interestingly enough, this attitude seems more prevalent in some places and less in others. My observation is the farther you get from the metropolitan areas and suburbs, the less common it is and courtesy and respect is more typical.

Al, loving the mountains of NC, I can't wait to get back!
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 12:28 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
We were merging (left merge) in Connecticut behind another RV this summer. A guy in a red pickup was angry because that RV was having trouble getting over so he pulled in front of them, stopped and opened his door. That's when I bought my dashcam. Idiots like that are why I commute in a one ton truck.

Signalling is good but it takes more than blinker use to be a good driver. Lots of people use their blinker as an apology.

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 12:49 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post
I think driving behavior is just an additional facet of the general lack of common courtesy that has become commonplace in today's life.
You hit the nail on the head. Americans have adopted "I want mine, and to hell with everyone else" mentality
It's not only driving, it's everything; the entitlement mentality.
The day I left Florida ahead of Irma, I was driving up I-75, on cruise control at 69 mph, in the center lane. A 20 yr old Monoco motor home comes up on my right, and instead of passing, swerves behind me and stays 3' off my bumper for a couple minutes. Then he swerves back right, passes me on the right and blows his horn and flips me the bird. I still have no idea what his perceived grievance was. Maybe someone in a white pickup cut him off and he assumed it was me.
Having driven a motorhome for years, I know how fragile the front is and how hard it is to stop, so tailgating anyone is asking for disaster. Idiots.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 01:02 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Personally I always wondered why people who speed and run red lights get so mad about someone not using their blinker. And also wonder exactly what is accomplished by not letting someone in when the lane ends. I choose not to play Russian Roulette with others' tempers. License plates are in plain view and it's way too easy to get more than you bargained for. My front and rear cameras are always on.

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 01:06 PM   #13
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
Personally I always wondered why people who speed and run red lights get so mad about someone not using their blinker.
All part of the "do unto others before they do unto you" mentality, I suppose.

In my experience, no one gets angrier on the road than someone who wants to break a traffic law but can't because someone else is in the way.
Old 10-15-2017, 01:24 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I spent a few weeks this summer in Coeur d'Alene. The acceleration lanes to enter the interstatet on I-90 are extremely short. If you are on the interstate in the right lane it seems a lot of drivers assume you are going to slow down or move to the left lane to let them in. If I can, I willingly will do so, but, in circumstances where it would not be safe to slow down (because of the big rig on your bumper) or move to the left lane because you are blocked in, or both, some entering traffic get pissed. Also, in this section of I-90 the acceleration lane for entering traffic and the exit lane for the upcoming exit are the same thing leaving you no choice but to use the right lane. Bad design!

I have a 34' triple axle Airstream. Add my tow vehicle and I have a total length of over 50 feet. I do not tow slow, but seldom above 65 mph. A following vehicle just sees the back of my AS. Often they seem to assume it is a shorter trailer and attempt passing. I slow down to let them by but sometimes run out of passing lane. Their gesticulations are probably a combination of abject fear immediately followed by rage.

I am thinking about a warning decal on the left rear of my Airstream so they know I am towing long, long trailer.
Old 10-15-2017, 01:26 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
So, so true out here in SoCal during commute time. I watch for the beat-up cheap cars and their totally impatient drivers.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 01:43 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Sandpoint , Idaho
Don't despair, there's hope. Last summer during my first excursion through the far eastern states my trusty GPS led me right into bumper to bumper traffic in the tunnel under Boston. While in the far right lane it directs me to take the next left exit just ahead. I put the left turn signal on and it was like Moses parting the Red Sea for us and our 31' Airstream. I easily made the exit. Maybe it was the Idaho plates or maybe everyone was just having a good day. Then my GPS directed us onto a Parkway to avoid traffic on I95. Again, people were very helpful pulling up along side of me and honking while they gave me a one finger salute. Who knew trucks and trailers aren't allowed on Parkways. What the heck is a Parkway, anyway? I think I'll stick to the west coast, Canada, and Mexico. It's safer.
terryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 02:01 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by terryg View Post
What the heck is a Parkway, anyway?
Or more importantly...why do we park in driveways and drive on parkways?

Anyway back to rude drivers, of which there is no shortage or solution.
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 02:43 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Question

I IMO some got there driv. license at kmart or 5and dime store on sale.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 03:11 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Try riding a bicycle. Many people give you plenty of room when the pass, but lots of other cut it way too close, even when they could easily be a few feet to the left.

If there's a car coming the other way and they need to get by me, most will accelerate to they to squeeze through, rather than brake and wait for more room.

I won't even get into the ones that turn right, directly in front of a bicycle.
Old 10-15-2017, 03:21 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England

Two things I absolutely can't tolerate anymore.

1) you're in the far right lane on a highway. Traffic jam. People entering on the ramp on the right fly in and drive 1/4 mile up the waning breakdown lane to get 20 cars in front of you - BECAUSE THEY ARE THE MOST IMPORTANT PEOPLE ON THE PLANET AND NO ONE ELSE MATTERS! [emoji35][emoji35][emoji35][emoji35][emoji35]

2) drivers holding a phone in their hands, especially when texting with both hands, "holding" the steering wheel with the sides of their arms. STOP TRYING TO KILL PEOPLE!!!! [emoji35][emoji35][emoji35][emoji35][emoji35][emoji35]
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote