Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-18-2017, 07:46 AM   #61
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Watertown , Massachusetts
Hazard lights?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
. . . . .Also anyone driving in traffic with hazard lights going is likely to do something completely unpredictable.
Maybe, because they see something up ahead that you don't. It's a signal that something is going on and you need to pay attention. Isn't that what hazard lights are for?
sallye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 07:55 AM   #62
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
If Tom drives 60 MPH for ten hours, and Frank drives 70 MPH for ten hours, Frank will make it 100 miles further than Tom in the same time. If they both are stopping at Tom’s destination, Frank will be there over an hour before Tom.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 08:05 AM   #63
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
If Tom drives 60 MPH for ten hours, and Frank drives 70 MPH for ten hours, Frank will make it 100 miles further than Tom in the same time. If they both are stopping at Tom’s destination, Frank will be there over an hour before Tom.
I'd rather drive with Tom.
TravlinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 08:07 AM   #64
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravlinMan View Post
I'd rather drive with Tom.

Unless Tom falls asleep in his ninth hour.

Old 10-18-2017, 08:08 AM   #65
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
Quote:
Unless Tom falls asleep in his ninth hour.
Well, to be honest I'd rather drive myself. And go 60 for an hour a day and get there when I get there.

I ain't in a hurry.
TravlinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 08:11 AM   #66
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravlinMan View Post
Well, to be honest I'd rather drive myself. And go 60 for an hour a day and get there when I get there.

I ain't in a hurry.

Sometimes I am in a hurry, sometimes not. It depends on where I need to be and when.

Old 10-18-2017, 09:01 AM   #67
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
I'd rather not be on the road for 10 hours in the same day, no matter who's driving. If Tom's destination is 700 miles away, then Tom and Frank both ought to take two days to get there.
Old 10-18-2017, 09:27 AM   #68
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
I'd rather not be on the road for 10 hours in the same day, no matter who's driving. If Tom's destination is 700 miles away, then Tom and Frank both ought to take two days to get there.

90% of the long haul truck drivers in America work a 10 hour driving day. I did it for years. Old habits,,,,,

But still, just the same I prefer to take my time now, but Elizabeth still kind of likes to get where she is going, and she works out the scheduling.

FWIW, I never drive tired or sleepy though. There is no excuse for that.

Old 10-18-2017, 09:56 AM   #69

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
90% of the long haul truck drivers in America work a 10 hour driving day. I did it for years. Old habits,,,,,
When I worked for a living and my boss controlled my schedule, I always preferred to get to my destination in one day, no matter how far away, just so I could maximize my time at the destination. My longest single driving day with my Airstream was 14 hours, not counting stops, and it was a grind. But those days are over.

Now that I'm retired, I prefer to take my time. To the point that I'd rather not drive my Airstream Interstate two days in a row if I can help it, nor more than 8 hours in any given day. Nearly every stop is for at least 2 nights, and my routine is drive a day, relax a day, drive a day, etc.
Old 10-18-2017, 10:13 AM   #70
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Rude and Dangerous Drivers

Quote:
When I worked for a living and my boss controlled my schedule, I always preferred to get to my destination in one day, no matter how far away, just so I could maximize my time at the destination. My longest single driving day with my Airstream was 14 hours, not counting stops, and it was a grind. But those days are over.

Now that I'm retired, I prefer to take my time. To the point that I'd rather not drive my Airstream Interstate two days in a row if I can help it, nor more than 8 hours in any given day. Nearly every stop is for at least 2 nights, and my routine is drive a day, relax a day, drive a day, etc.

Unfortunately, I am not there yet. At the beginning of Oct. we left Central AR after Elizabeth flew in at noon, we made it out on the road at about 4:00 PM. Business meeting at 11:00 AM Tuesday in KC MO, Wed night in Las Cruces, NM. for work through Thursday noon, at which point we drove to Southern AZ so Elizabeth could bake a wedding cake for a family wedding on Saturday.

(She did an awesome job in my opinion) https://photos.app.goo.gl/99jvOjmw1ERi5qS62

After the wedding we chilled out in Bisbee till Tuesday about noon. Wed and Thurs at work in Las Cruces, we left back to Central AR at 4:00 PM Friday, overnighting in Odessa, TX, arriving home at 11:00 PM Saturday night.

We covered about 3,000 miles on that round....

I have to be back in NM on the 30th,,,,,

Old 10-18-2017, 10:17 AM   #71
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Quote:
Truckers aren't the only offenders in this regard, or even the most common. Just the biggest. More common, in my opinion at least, is the driver who is using cruise control, and refuses to temporarily disengage cruise control when they pull up behind someone going 1mph slower than they are, so they swing into the next lane— still on cruise control— even if traffic in the next lane is going 10mph faster. It's as if they disengage their awareness of everybody else around them when they engage their cruise control.
Sorry, Protag but referring to your previous quote:
"In my experience, no one gets angrier on the road than someone who wants to break a traffic law but can't because someone else is in the way."

I think that applies to folks who want to go 80 in a 70 zone when I pull over going 75.

While it may be true in some states, in Florida the law does not say left lane for passing only. It says "Slower Traffic Keep Right". By law, how can I be going slow when I myself am exceeding the speed limit?

That said, I usually drive 65 in the right lane but I refuse to drive the right lane where there are idiots merging at 50 without even trying to accelerate to traffic speed. The long merge lanes are called acceleration lanes in some jurisdictions.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 10:23 AM   #72
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas

I always try not to obstruct traffic. If I drive in the left, I will move right to let people go by, whether they are speeding or not.

Plugging the interstate makes angry drivers, and angry drivers are more prone to do stupid things that might tie me and others into their stupidity. The further stupid gets away from my driving, the better I feel about everything.

Old 10-18-2017, 10:27 AM   #73
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas

Often I will move right to let fast approaching drivers pass, and then they slow down beside me and block me behind a slower vehicle. That tends to piss me off.... but I still move over to let em by.... #DemonstratingManners

Old 10-18-2017, 10:33 AM   #74
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Quote:
Often I will move right to let fast approaching drivers pass, and then they slow down beside me and block me behind a slower vehicle. That tends to piss me off.... but I still move over to let em by.... #DemonstratingManners
Mostly I will do the same. I try to be considerate, but when towing at 65 and I start to pass someone going 50 or less (say a semi on a hill) when it is clear behind me, I'm not going to speed up to 75 or 80 just because someone comes up behind me going that fast. I limit my speed to that which is safe. If the guy behind me has to wait a few minutes, I'm OK with that.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 10:46 AM   #75
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post
Mostly I will do the same. I try to be considerate, but when towing at 65 and I start to pass someone going 50 or less (say a semi on a hill) when it is clear behind me, I'm not going to speed up to 75 or 80 just because someone comes up behind me going that fast. I limit my speed to that which is safe. If the guy behind me has to wait a few minutes, I'm OK with that.

Al

Agree 100%. It is all about a fair give and take. Commonly, the person I want to pass will speed up when I am beside them, (that pisses me off too) I usually get back behind them if someone is waiting behind me. The vehicle I want to overtake usually lets me pass on my second attempt... but not always..

Old 10-18-2017, 10:52 AM   #76
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
I can drive 10 hours without stopping to pee. Frank will probably stop 3 or 4 times. I'll still get there first. (I don't do 60)

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 10:53 AM   #77
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Except they never average those speeds. And it be won't anywhere near to an hours difference.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 11:00 AM   #78
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by sallye View Post
Maybe, because they see something up ahead that you don't. It's a signal that something is going on and you need to pay attention. Isn't that what hazard lights are for?
They're to indicate that you're stopped, or going very slowly. Not to tell others it's raining, or dark. (Honest, I've seen this.). Or to use when merging improperly (seen that too).

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 11:05 AM   #79

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post
Sorry, Protag but referring to your previous quote:
No apology necessary. If I posted it, and decided not to edit or delete it later, it's fair game for anyone else to quote, agree with, dispute, or refute.
Old 10-18-2017, 12:30 PM   #80
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
Except they never average those speeds. And it be won't anywhere near to an hours difference.

True, neither will average those speeds, but as a result Frank will still be there an hour ahead of Tom.