Old 08-11-2014, 01:43 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2013 30' Classic
Kent , Washington
Replacing the Bedspread - Need Advice

I'm ready to replace the bedspread in our 30' Classic. Any advice? It's a queen size bed, but I think a regular queen size might be too big.

Anyway, I would appreciate pictures and/or advice on how you redecorated your Airstream. I just think I would like a bit more color.

Also, I seem to recall someone mentioned here to avoid a down comforter because of the smell. Is that true?

Thanks for any advice.

ProPride 3P Trailer Sway Control Hitch
WBCCI #7878
time2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 01:54 PM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by time2play View Post
I'm ready to replace the bedspread in our 30' Classic. Any advice? It's a queen size bed, but I think a regular queen size might be too big.
It might be a "short queen." A lot of RVs have them, and it is a standard (but uncommon) bed size. You can find short queen bedding on Amazon and other places.
Quote:
Also, I seem to recall someone mentioned here to avoid a down comforter because of the smell. Is that true?
Common sense says to avoid any bedding (and any clothing for that matter) that would require dry-cleaning. If it can't go in a washer or dryer, it's more trouble than it's worth in an RV.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 02:01 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
We enjoy both the lightweight down throw and down comforters supplied by AS with our Eddie Bauers (even in Seattle). The lightweight is perfect for summer use and the heavy is comfortable when the weather dips well below freezing (Snoqualmie). Both my wife and I have sensitive noses and allergies ... the down (if quality) works out quite well.

Right at 60 days of use last season and just under 50 so far this year. We are still using the original 2013 EB down comforters and the new ones are still in the boxes! No noticeable smell from either the lightweight throw or heavy comforter. We keep a duvet cover on them both...YMMV and not sure just how they would perform in a more humid south but here in the NW ...GREAT !

We are still using an older bed spread just to cover the down/blanket/sheets and will likely just put on either a new bs or a lightweight poly comforter to add protection and keep the down comforters clean (we have a small dog).
Old 08-11-2014, 02:31 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
I have the bed spread that came with our fc 25 front bed queen. It is the black/gold color. I don't need it as we have converted to twins. PM if interested
mike
Old 08-11-2014, 02:51 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
R U Artistic? (or Autistic?)

I always admire those people who can take 5 pieces of misc. junk and create a memorable decoration for a room. However I don't really have a positive knack of creating a unified design.

You actually CAN hire a designer to help you with your trailer if you want - some will sneer at you, but others will think it's a fun project.

Most nice department stores could probably help you too. Just take pictures of your current decorating scheme (or lack of one) and show them. They can suggest color palettes complementary fabrics, accent pieces and colors and storage solutions that double as decor.

Queens in Airstreams are about six inches shorter than home queens. Usually it's not a big deal, but an extremely Oversized Queen spread might wipe the floor instead of being tucked under the pillows.

Cheap down often has a lot of oil left in the feathers. It has a funk all it's own, and it picks up odors from cooking etc. Really well processed down doesn't get nearly as bad as quick, and can be aired out on a sunny day. Down substitute works well and costs a lot less.

Paula
Old 08-11-2014, 03:05 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
Vintage Kin Owner
Bad Axe , Michigan
I have a queen spread I picked up at Pottery barn. My biggest criteria was easy washing because of the dogs. It is a tad long on the sides, but not anything I can't live with.
1977 31' International Sovereign - sold
2012 Ford F250 Superduty Crewcab

WBCCI# 1007 Air#2158
dkrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 03:26 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2013 30' Classic
Kent , Washington
Good suggestions and tips. Thank you. Pictures would be great too. It's always nice to see how other people personalize their trailers.
ProPride 3P Trailer Sway Control Hitch
WBCCI #7878
time2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 11:08 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Waxahachie , Texas
I took the dry clean only bedspreads out of our new AS because...really...dry clean only in a camper?? I replaced it with washable coverlets for summer. We are traveling with our dogs and I wanted something that can be washed and dried if they get it dirty. I found these at Kohl's. We did spring for the AS sheets because the mattress on the twin is curved. We've been on the road 6 weeks and the plan is working like a dream. For color inspiration I bought the aqua circle vinyl table cloth at Camping World and have used it as the jumping off point. That makes the colors aqua, tan, and green. We like it!!
Old 08-11-2014, 11:47 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We use a quality down comforter in our Airstream. The only thing we don't like about it is the tendency to slide off the bed at night.

So we use the fitted Airstream bedspread that came with the trailer. The thing we like about the bedspread is the way it is fitted to wrap around the bed and hold the comforter in place.

They work well together, and we get accent color with throw pillows.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 07:06 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
Vintage Kin Owner
Bad Axe , Michigan
[QUOTE=silverlabs;1495069]I took the dry clean only bedspreads out of our new AS because...really...dry clean only in a camper?? I replaced it with washable coverlets for summer. We are traveling with our dogs and I wanted something that can be washed and dried if they get it dirty. I found these at Kohl's.

My thoughts exactly! I took the off white, yes white, dry clean only spread off the day we got it home. Put in a vacuum bag and got something washable.
1977 31' International Sovereign - sold
2012 Ford F250 Superduty Crewcab

WBCCI# 1007 Air#2158
dkrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 07:32 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Streator , Illinois
We took out the airstream bed spread and all the extra pillows that came with it. We found it a chore each nite to move all that extra stuff to the couch before getting into bed. We replaced the bedspread with a Pendleton queen Indian blanket that tucks in. Gives the room lots of color and blanket serves as spread and blanket.
Old 08-12-2014, 09:01 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
My new to me 2006 Safari LS 23 came with what I believe is the original bedspread, the brown and gold one. The bed is the odd shaped Full sized. My major issues with the bedspread are that it is dry clean only and seems extremely heavy for its size and thickness. It will not be remaining in the trailer. I have a couple of light weight polypro blankets and my so very warm and comfortable 70 year old Hudson Bay wool blanket to use.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 09:26 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1980 31' International
Cincinnati , Ohio
Anything Goes!

This is the fun part!!

Since our unit is older and needed a lot of work, we decided to use a more retro/hippy theme. I dip dyed the living room curtains so they are bright yellow in the middle and taper out to orange, then red on the top and bottom. I sewed a new kitchen and shower curtain and tie-dyed both. (blue in the bath, lime green in the kitchen) Dip dyed a few area rugs to match. We trashed the old gaucho, so until we decide on a replacement, we have a set of vintage lawn chairs in it's place.

We just put together our new bed, so I'm going with a tie dye quilt in blues/browns that I will make out of a recycled one from our house. Only bummer is that the original bedroom curtains were beige with big brown flowers which matched the short loop brown/orange/beige original carpeting. I didn't want to make new curtains as these are in decent shape, so dyed them bright blue.

We have 1960's dinnerware and glassware that I have accumulated from yard sales, friends, etc.

Would love to learn how to make a rag rug for the bedroom...
Old 08-12-2014, 10:34 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We've had an all-season down comforter the last few years, and have found it perfect for us.

Wash the duvet cover once a week, skip the sheets. It's what they do in Ireland. Works great.

Maggie