Old 08-23-2014, 08:34 PM   #1
1973 29' Ambassador
San Antonio , Texas
Repair or scrap

I have inherited a 1973 Airstream. Totally gutted on the inside, floor rotted out with a rusted bottom. I know nothing about them. How do I know if it's worth repairing or if I should just scrap it?

Meganj28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 08:56 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member
1972 25' Tradewind
Hopkins , Minnesota
It really depends on your definition of 'worth'. You can easily drop 10-20 thousand dollars putting a vintage Airstream back together....without even getting too fancy, and doing all of the work yourself. And if it would be your goal to turn around and sell it for a profit, you would probably be disappointed. People restore Airstreams for the love of it. If you have no love for it, then it is probably best that you it is a multi-year proposition in most cases. If the shell and the windows are intact, you may find someone willing to take it off your hands.... who wants a 'project'. Good luck. Post a picture....maybe you'll get a bite on it.

arktos55343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 10:25 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County, NC , Highlands County, FL
If your dream is to camp in it, then it MIGHT be worth fixing it. If you have some memories attached to it, then it MIGHT be worth fixing it. If you have no feeling for it, then maybe it would be best to pass it on to someone your family who would care about it.
If you or no one in your family wants it, and it is not beat up on the outside and it will roll down the road, you might get maybe $1,000-1,500 for it. I've heard they bring $300-500 for scrap. I'll bet if you put it in the classifieds (see the tab at the top of the page) with a few photos, someone will make an offer that would be really excited to get it.
2014 Silverado 1500 5.3L maximum trailering package (yes, I'm towing the 34')
A W Warn is offline   Reply With Quote