Old 05-28-2013, 02:34 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
We keep mileage records of towing miles and total trip miles...the truck has two odometer settings...one we use for the total trip and the other we use for towing miles...recording the mileage towed at the end of each towing leg. We do this to know how many miles are on the Bambi and to know when we should pack the bearings.

We also make daily notes of our trips, that we then later refer to in creating our travel log (link in signature). The log serves as a digital "scrapbook" of our trip, as well as a source of entertainment and information for other travelers. You'd be surprised how many times we have referred back to the travel log when we "wonder" about this or that about previous trips. We also highlight the routes we have traveled in our road atlas...just for the fun of it.

AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:15 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County, NC , Highlands County, FL
I mentioned getting that road atlas (post #14) to record our travels to my wife and told her about this thread. She said; oh, by the way, I found that log you thought was gone forever. She had a copy on her computer. Now I have my travel / maintenance log again Now I just need to update it back to summer of 2012.

Old 05-28-2013, 07:22 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Cool. I see you're in NC. Need to add Alumalina rallies to your travels. They are very, very fun.

It goes without saying, IMO, that one keep meticulous maintenance/repair records, which we of course do.

Maggie
Old 05-28-2013, 07:32 PM   #18
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
I found this on CampingWorld. Inexpensive and easy to use. http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...og-binder/2152
Old 05-28-2013, 07:34 PM   #19
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
I am terrible at keeping records, my mom back in the day was terrific. Hence I can tell you in 1969 when I was a kid and we went cross country, we were gone 8 weeks, it snowed in Cody WY June 28th and we had to wait three days to enter, and the entire trip (gas, campgrounds, meals out entertainment, etc cost....under $1500.00! )I have her journals and I love reading them when I travel to the same places. Her were keep long hand, leather 3 ring small binders.

The closest I might get is a photo book of our trips, that is if I bother to actually print the photos, would be nice for grandkids.
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:35 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County, NC , Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
Cool. I see you're in NC. Need to add Alumalina rallies to your travels. They are very, very fun.

It goes without saying, IMO, that one keep meticulous maintenance/repair records, which we of course do.

Maggie
I have been corresponding with John (Sandlapper). I hope we are able to make the fall Alumalina and share some of that possum bog.

The spring Alumalina is only an hour drive from home, but we are in FL during that time.

See you on the road!
Old 05-28-2013, 08:14 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
Yakima , Washington
Our logs/journals have dual purposes, one to entertain and the second to maintain a record of the good, the bad and the ugly so we don't have experience them again if we don't want to. Part of the records are of course directed toward maintenance issues, and the other as a fun sort of thing, such as can you believe how cheap diesel was back in the day...

We have a combination of excel spread sheets, google earth photos of camp grounds with actual spot we stayed in, (except some forest service campgrounds where there are so many trees we could only find the amphitheater near where we actually were parked), as well as written logs. These are nice to share with one another, let alone when it comes to recommending a campground or RV park to someone else.

1997 25' Safari
2012 Chevy Silverado HD 2500
Duramax/Allison
dirigible25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:39 PM   #22
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by donreitz View Post
Iíve noticed from their responses that some forum members seem to keep good track of their travels. They can tell you how many days their Airstream has been on the road, how many total miles theyíve traveled, and so forth.

Iíve never been much inclined to keeping records while traveling, but it sounds like a good idea. As we get closer to retirement and to making longer trips, Iíd like to start keeping better track of our time on the road.

All this is just to ask, if you keep records of your trips, why do you do it, how do you do it, and what information do you collect?
Thanks,
Don
Just keep track of trips, mileage, maint and destination with this from the AS store.
Just had to replace the flimsy binding with key-chain split rings.

The log we kept with our 63 Safari is fun to reminisce with....

Bob

ďAfter all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.Ē
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but Iím the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:12 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Danville , Indiana
Thanks for all the responses. I guess Iím inclined toward Doug Kís view in that the whole point of camping is getting out and doing things rather than spending time compulsively keeping records. However, I see the attraction of having information available from past trips to help plan future ones. I have a spiral-bound notebook stuck in the driverís door pocket of the truck. On our next trip Iíll see if Iím disciplined enough to keep some basic information about miles traveled, maintenance problems, campgrounds, quality of local restaurants, and so forth. I may fill the notebook or I may throw it out as a waste of time. Weíll see.

Also, a hat tip to cwf for the link to Moleskine and its iPad app. This looks like fun.

Your comments are appreciated.
Don