Old 07-24-2013, 02:27 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member
2015 30' Classic
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Hay Beach bum better have led lights might not have enough room on the inside to change a bulb. ie How many engineers does it take to change a light bulb . Who has the bad jokes ???

beetlebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 03:10 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Inverter - got one on my new Eddie Bauer, but haven't needed it yet. On my two prior Airstreams I used a Honda 1000 and battery charger to recharge my coach batteries and stuff like my computer. I think an inverter may be a "nice to have" more than a necessity, even for a boondocker.

If I wanted to I could run an electric skillet or induction burner from the 1000 - but definitely couldn't even think of using the air conditioner. Even before I put LED lights in the Safari recharging the batteries wasn't a big deal - I could boondock for 10 days (until the fresh water ran out and I wanted a shower!)

I have both solar and the inverter - but guess what my FAVORITE upgrade is so far?
The power cord. It has a little blue LED in each end. Plug it into the power post and if the 30 amp circuit isn't good, it doesn't light up. Plug it into the coach and you know you have good power into the coach. It's like a multi-meter I don't have to get out of the back of the truck to use! Last night I went home and the A/C was off. I looked at the fridge - Auto and propane lights were on, opened the curtain, NO blue light special on the cord. Went outside, flipped the breaker - it was sloppy and probably bad - got the 50 to 30 adapter cord and plugged into the 50 amp outlet, went back inside and enjoyed my A/C.
I LOVE IT. If you can't afford a new Airstream, then this cord would be a great "best upgrade under $100" for your current unit. We've had a lot of bad storms lately and the power in the campground goes out frequently. I've been sitting down sewing and the machine stops, but the lights on 12 volt stay on. One look at the power cord tells me whether to head for my internal circuit breakers or wait for the power to come back on from the grid.

Were my budget more limited than it is and I had to choose between options - I believe full awnings would be one of the most important ones. I always seem to park with the door facing NORTH where the big awning doesn't do all that much, but just covering the windows on the south side would be a BIG help. And the small awnings are so easy to put up and down that it's never a hassle. With the big awning, if you're running to the store for an hour... you've got to check the weather report before you decide to leave it up. (And I've been blessed by neighbors who've taken it down twice when the wind unexpectedly got really gusty!).

The potential occupants of the Airstream are really the determining factor on which upgrades are NICE versus NEEDED. Dogs & children make ultra-leather far more than a nice to have. Putting up the big awning isn't all that difficult for me alone, but it is a lot faster when a neighbor walks over and holds the strap while I lock the support arms. I should have salvaged the awning helper handles from the old coach, darn!

Anyway, whatever you get - ENJOY IT and retrofit whatever you regret not getting in the first place.

Best to all, Paula

Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present.
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:32 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member
2014 30' Flying Cloud
Ponce Inlet , Florida
Thanks all for the info.
After touring a 28’ and 30’. We decided to supersize and purchased a 30’ FC w/ EB 16”tires, leather, awning pkg, 2 AC’s, convection oven, bike rack and 1000 watt inverter. We got great news today our expected December delivery date has been moved to mid November.

The forum info has been a huge help in figuring out what options to get. Also bought a RAM 2500 diesel TV. The AS salesman… your 1500 would have towed just fine in FL… however you would not be happy campers after your first mountain experience.

So we are now making our list checking it twice. We are trying to buy only the minimum needed for now. Will buy the rest after we have spent some time AS camping. Like that’s really gonna work. But it’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

BTW it takes 0 engineers to install a light bulb. This one will spend endless hours analyzing why it burnt out, the absolute best replacement, and redesign of the electrical system. In the mean time the DW will have installed a new one
Beach Bum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 11:24 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2014 30' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
We decided that the world of third party equipment and their installers would be more cost effective and better installed than than the traditional factory or dealership. The forums have provided tremendous insight and suggestions in enough volume of reading to spin my eye balls like the tumblers on a Las Vegas slot machine.

Welcome aboard. What year Dodge? I may some off forum suggestions.
WBCCI Life Member 5123, AIR 70341, 4CU, WD9EMC

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 07:45 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member
2014 30' Flying Cloud
Ponce Inlet , Florida
TV is a 2013. This is our first diesel, its all different. Any forum suggestions would be great.
Beach Bum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 08:00 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
Originally Posted by beetlebob View Post
Hay Beach bum better have led lights might not have enough room on the inside to change a bulb. ie How many engineers does it take to change a light bulb . Who has the bad jokes ???
I just did the LED light change out for all of my lights except the floresent bulbs. Big difference in light and heat, more light, less heat. In our 30' Classic, we only have one AC unit and it does take a while to cool things down after 90 degrees. But, I have a satelite Direst TV, so no more room on the roof for another AC. If I need to in the future, I will probably up the AC unit to the next higher capacity. I do have an after market solar charger and it has worked great. I highly recommed you go to an LT tire over the standard ST, you will not regret that change. We also have the convection/micro and no oven. The only time you will miss the real oven is if you boondock and want an oven. I personally love the extra drawer space and don't miss the oven at all. To each their own, but I would do the convection micro again in a heart beat.

2008 F-250 4X4 Lariat V-10
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote