Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-20-2012, 04:02 PM   #1
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
Quick Newbie Question

I have a quick question...will hanging old fashion styled big bulb Christmas lights across the front of the trailer, hurt or burn the finish in any way? They do get quite hot. Thanks, figured I would dress the gal up for Christmas, but don't want to leave possible burn marks every foot. Sbb
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 04:38 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1988 32' Excella
Bonita , California
I don't think it's a good idea to have any contact on the surface with anything that hot. Better safe then sorry.
RUMSHIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 04:59 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
Don't think I would do that. We got LED lights at Costco. 33' string, 100 lights, 8watts draw, $16.00 per string. No heat at all.

Warning.....They suggest no more than 25 strings in a row on one circuit.
Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp3nuNtlZcA&t=331s
https://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 05:09 PM   #4
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
Oh, no, on my outside to quick get them down. Thanks for answer, I am very new to the care of an AS. Sbb
Old 12-20-2012, 05:14 PM   #5

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
They make LED bulbs that fit in the old type Christmas light sockets. Those are probably a good idea. The old hot bulbs could be a problem. It is definitely a great idea to decorate your girl for Christmas.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 05:36 PM   #6
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
I strung them inside across dinette making sure the bulbs touch nothing. It is a brand new set, but not LED. Speaking of LED lights, the PO said all my lights are LED, if so, why is it so hot to touch around the collar of the lights? How can I tell if they are LED ? I need the AS as low power as possible for my Summer travel, as I never get to plug in where I camp, and each trip is four to five nights. Sbb
Old 12-20-2012, 08:58 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbb View Post
...>snip<....Speaking of LED lights, the PO said all my lights are LED, if so, why is it so hot to touch around the collar of the lights? How can I tell if they are LED?...>snip<.... b
Nix on the hot bulbs against surfaces of your Airstream.

LEDs should not produce much heat at all. Are you talking about the recessed puck lights in the ceiling of your Safari SE? 2006 Safari SEs originally had halogen bulbs in those fixtures ...and halogens are very very hot, not to mention energy eaters. You can't touch the lens if it's a halogen bulb if the kiught has been lit recently.

LEDs for those fixtures are flat discs with an array of LED spots and are a direct replacement...the prongs fit into the same holes as the halogens.

To access the bulb, let the light cool down, use a sharp knife to carefully pry up the edge of the innermost-ring which holds the lens, being careful not to scratch the surrounding aluminum. That ring with the lens attached should pop out exposing the bulb....but be careful not to drop the glass lens. If it's a halogen it will look like a bulb; if it is an LED it will have an array of LED spots that produce the light.

To replace the lens, align the ring to the fixture (you can put them in only in a certain position)...and snap the ring with the lens back into position.

The same goes for the reading lights in the corners of the dinette and head of the bed, except the LED array is a different format with the prongs at the back instead of to the side.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:38 AM   #8
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
Well, I popped a light, yes, looks like small puck, one bulb about inch long with two prongs....so I guess not LED. Where do I buy proper bulbs? Same ones for everthing? In cabinets, on roof, two sides of dinette, over sink? Where do I find what size to get. I have a 2006 19' safari se 75th. Apparently a big deal are the LED lights in this model, but judging by this description, I have some changing to do. No big deal, I am happy to do these little projects to improve the battery life of the AS. Thanks for help. Sbb
Old 12-22-2012, 01:38 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
We got our LEDs at LED4RV.com ... Dan... He is on the Forums as Dan@LED4RV...

The website will show you what type of LED to get to replaced the original bulbs. The lights in the ceilings are one type, those in the bathroom and over the dinette and galley another (the same type are used in the closet and exterior storage compartment), and those in the reading lights yet another. The running lights are also different, but remember those are only on while you are driving. (We have not replaced those on ours yet.)

You'll find both Dan and the Website very helpful. Good luck.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote