Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-29-2017, 07:21 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Southeastern , Pennsylvania
Questions after 1 week rental

We rented a 2016 Flying Cloud 25FB (with Equalizer hitch and anti-sway bars) from Haydocy Airstream in Columbus, Ohio for a week. We just returned. After picking up the AS we drove from Columbus to Charlestown, IN and did the Bourbon Trail and Churchill Downs. Then we drove south to Nashville and spent three days there. We then drove back to Columbus to return the AS. As a result we drove about 900 miles with the AS to get a feel of it. Neither my wife nor I have ever slept in a trailer or pulled anything. Haydocy provided great instruction regarding the operation of the AS but I was only given about 15 minutes driving practice with the AS before leaving Haydocy for our trip. We rented because we wanted to fully understand what we were getting into before buying. We had a great experience but I have a few questions:

1. The purpose of the AS is to give us more freedom. However, we felt somewhat confined traveling with the AS. We just couldn't pull into any restaurant or shop and park. There was always a nagging concern that I would get myself into a tight area and not be able to turn around. Some of this is due to my inexperience and needing additional practice handling the AS in reverse. However, just couldn't always go where we wanted. Is this feeling just due to my inexperience?

2. Driving on the highway was no issue. However, when I exited I was always concerned that I would find myself on too narrow a street or on a street with a low clearance. Again, does this fear subside?

3. We had a brake controller installed in my 2007 F-150 (5.4L V-8) which was certainly up to the towing task. However, when braking I always felt a slight push from the AS. Is this normal or was my brake controller incorrectly adjusted. I had the gain on about 7.5. The brake controller was not a progressive one.

4. The unit we rented did NOT have a back-up camera. It seemed to me that perhaps I would be more comfortable if I could see what is behind me. Does the back-up camera work while on the highway or only when in reverse. I know the theory of not caring what is behind you but this would have made me more comfortable.

5. It seemed just more comfortable for us to use the showers at the campground rather than taking a military shower. Do many others more experienced than us do the same thing? In the future if we bought, I would try to pick a site close to the showers......I think.

The trailer worked great and we had absolutely no issues with it. We think the 25FB would be the right size for us but the above are our concerns in pulling the trigger to buy. Lastly, I would strongly recommend the renting experience to the truly inexperienced like us. We feel we now understand much more about the trailer and the lifestyle than before. We also did a tour of the factory in Jackson Center. Amazing.....

Your thoughts on the above would be greatly appreciated.
phil1ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 07:55 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
We have the same unit, except ours has twin beds and you didn't say which your rental was - but your questions weren't about that anyway. Here are my thoughts on your questions, based on our experience so far (80 camping nights or so).

1. You are restricted in where you can go, but we adjusted fairly quickly. You can get in and out of places like Wal-Mart etc., and you can eat at places like Cracker Barrel that have RV parking. We bring food with us and eat at rest areas etc., and do other shopping without the trailer once we get to a destination. Getting gas is also different, and you have to look for places that are larger - truck plazas for example.

2. It got easier for me. I do plan ahead though, and pretty much know the roads I plan to travel on that day.

3. It sounds like your brake controller could have used some adjustment. I have the one on my GMC 1500 set on about 8.

4. It depends on how it is powered. Most always have power and not just when you put the TV in reverse. So they are really a rear view camera and not just a backup camera. I don't need one, and I don't always use ours, but I do like having it when driving. I never really use it much for backing in. We work together on that, and I've not run into anything yet.

5. We rarely use the showers at the campground, but sometimes do if we need to stretch out the grey tank capacity for more days. We don't mind the quick showers and there are tricks to minimizing the water that goes into the gray tank - like getting it warm by spraying into the toilet first, and using the on/off button between soaping up and rinsing.

We really like ours too, and feel it is a good size for just the two of us and our small dog. Good luck in your search!
SeaLevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 08:17 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Lakes Region , New Hampshire
Congratulations! What a smart way to do it.

1. In normal use, we don't take the trailer "on tour" with us. When arriving at a location it's get it set up and then sightsee. While traveling, you get used to looking for what you want, that being big areas, parking lots, main streets. It never hurts to stop and check a map to see what's around. Maneuvering around gets easier as you become accustomed to how much space you occupy, kinda like not walking into things.

2. Most all exits and areas around them are large enough to handle big vehicles, if it is any kind of business area then it would be setup for tractor trailers. Little windy roads along the river, those are the dangerous ones. You can get a GPS with height and width data. As you do it more it does get comfortable and you become familiar with what your seeing and the indicators of where to go and where not to.

3. Most hitches will have some play to them so it bumping you isn't abnormal, it would just come down to how to decide to set your own up, trailer pulls or truck pushes. That being a rental unit, the brake might need inspection, most I've read tend to run the controller in the 7-8 range, so they may have just been worn.

4. So long as it's a second screen unit it should work on the road, if it ties into a new vehicle data center, those tend to not allow video while moving.

5. If the campground has clean showers with hot water we've always used them. Word of caution, while it may seem a good idea, we have always selected spots further from the shower. If your close EVERYONE will walk through your site, and if they don't go through it they will go past it and when they're waking, unless their alone, seldom are they quiet or respectful of others.

Good luck with the choices
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 08:19 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil1ben View Post
We rented a 2016 Flying Cloud 25FB (with Equalizer hitch and anti-sway bars) from Haydocy Airstream in Columbus, Ohio for a week. We just returned. After picking up the AS we drove from Columbus to Charlestown, IN and did the Bourbon Trail and Churchill Downs. Then we drove south to Nashville and spent three days there. We then drove back to Columbus to return the AS. As a result we drove about 900 miles with the AS to get a feel of it. Neither my wife nor I have ever slept in a trailer or pulled anything. Haydocy provided great instruction regarding the operation of the AS but I was only given about 15 minutes driving practice with the AS before leaving Haydocy for our trip. We rented because we wanted to fully understand what we were getting into before buying. We had a great experience but I have a few questions:

1. The purpose of the AS is to give us more freedom. However, we felt somewhat confined traveling with the AS. We just couldn't pull into any restaurant or shop and park. There was always a nagging concern that I would get myself into a tight area and not be able to turn around. Some of this is due to my inexperience and needing additional practice handling the AS in reverse. However, just couldn't always go where we wanted. Is this feeling just due to my inexperience?

2. Driving on the highway was no issue. However, when I exited I was always concerned that I would find myself on too narrow a street or on a street with a low clearance. Again, does this fear subside?

3. We had a brake controller installed in my 2007 F-150 (5.4L V-8) which was certainly up to the towing task. However, when braking I always felt a slight push from the AS. Is this normal or was my brake controller incorrectly adjusted. I had the gain on about 7.5. The brake controller was not a progressive one.

4. The unit we rented did NOT have a back-up camera. It seemed to me that perhaps I would be more comfortable if I could see what is behind me. Does the back-up camera work while on the highway or only when in reverse. I know the theory of not caring what is behind you but this would have made me more comfortable.

5. It seemed just more comfortable for us to use the showers at the campground rather than taking a military shower. Do many others more experienced than us do the same thing? In the future if we bought, I would try to pick a site close to the showers......I think.

The trailer worked great and we had absolutely no issues with it. We think the 25FB would be the right size for us but the above are our concerns in pulling the trigger to buy. Lastly, I would strongly recommend the renting experience to the truly inexperienced like us. We feel we now understand much more about the trailer and the lifestyle than before. We also did a tour of the factory in Jackson Center. Amazing.....

Your thoughts on the above would be greatly appreciated.
Renting is a great idea. Your questions are similar to ones I had when I bought mine. Here's my thoughts.

1. You are right, you are a bit constrained while pulling an Airstream. You learn about RV friendly places (like many but not all Cracker Barrels) and gas stations. But one you get to your target destination you unhook and are as free as a bird.

2. It is possible to get yourself into a difficult place to maneuver. Most interstate exits are fine. My Garmin GPS warns me of RV obstacles, but it's not 100% foolproof. But in the year I've had my Airstream I haven't gotten into trouble. I once got into a tight gas station, and once into a Cracker Barrel without RV parking. No big deal. You'll figure it out.

3. You may want to adjust your controller a little more.

4. Yes, it works while on the interstate and acts as a rear view mirror. I use mine that way. Makes the trip a little more comfortable for me.

5. If we have water at our site, and it's easy to dump the grey water, we take really long showers in the Airstream. Military showers are needed if you have either of those constraints. But in most campgrounds water and dumping are not an issue.
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 08:28 PM   #5
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Our 23 is a bit smaller than the 25. It's 5.5" narrower and probably 2 ft shorter. And even with it, we are concerned about where we go. But to answer your question, as you get more experienced that concern dissipates quite a bit. Partly because you know more about how to address issues and stay out of trouble. We do deadhead in areas that are not tow friendly.

The camera helps. No reason not to set it up as a rear view mirror addition and run it all the time. All the info you can get helps. But do not trust it totally as the view will not be a wide as your eyes. Use a spotter. If you do not have one, stop, look, move just enough to go look again. Never move if you can't see your spotter.

Showers - when we got the coach, I believed that using the campground showers was the only way to make it all work. After a while, I learned that I was wrong. The AS shower is convenient and much better than running over to the campground facilities. If you are dry camping, it is necessary to minimize water use, but we find we end up putting more grey water in the tank from washing dishes than showering. Your travel style will greatly influence what does and does not work for you.

Renting was certainly a good idea. The more you know, the better choices you will make with your purchases and travel options. Spend time here researching the issues that interest you or the questions that develop from that investigation. Also worth your time to watch the You-tube videos.

Good Luck. Travel Safe. Pat

Edit - When we started traveling with the coach, we used McDonalds for morning coffee and often stopped for at least one meal a day. On our last couple of trips, we ate all of our meals from our grill or the coach galley. Most of our shopping for food was originally Walmart, but we subsequently shifted to Safeway as they are often easier to find and it is just as easy to safely park in their lots. Note, the very best place we ever shopped was a small market that had deli food items. It just so happened that they carried many of our favorite picnic items. Sometimes trying something new works out very well indeed.
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 08:32 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
I admire your gumption. It is not an easy or stress-free thing to just "take off" and do what you did.

This is our third season with our AS trailer. It took several go-rounds for things to seem habitual and somewhat predictable.

I will offer you some ideas to consider.

I think you were processing A LOT of new information all at one time. We only have so much finite concentration and ability to learn and practice new tasks at once. You performed admirably. You drove, hitched, unhitches, set up camp, broke camp, and drove again after very little practice or experience to let these tasks seem "routine".

We wanted to learn to do all that safety and driving business first before we worried about such less important things as running out of hot water during a shower. We showered mostly at the campground showers the first summer. But by the second summer we were "good enough" at the driving, hitching, setup , breaking camp, part of the trip that we had brain space to learn about showering in the AS, water use, tank capacity, etc. and now we use the AS shower most of the time. (I will sometimes still shower in the CG if I want a really long shower to wash and condition my hair, and will then use the CG bath to dry my hair. Or if we are just doing a fast overnight stay we will quickly shower in the GG bath to both get ready at the same time.) But we really like the AS shower, especially showering right before bed to rinse off sunscreen and bug spray.

I do think your break controller could be more comfortably adjusted.

We primarily don't venture into cities with our unit, since we camp in state and national parks. I will say this. It IS an adjustment getting gas and parking with the trailer. We have learned to select gas stations not by price but by ease of egress. For food stops, you need to be willing to park and walk a bit. Think of it this way. Every store you would ever visit is probably serviced by a supplier with a 53 foot truck; there will be SOMEPLACE you will be able to park. You will not be parking by the door, but you will be able to park. We have gone to grocery stores, fast food restaurants, wal-marts, nursing homes (lunch with grandma) and driven through cities such as Denver and not had any issues.

We don't have a back view camera, but our AS is fairly narrow. But our truck does have a back up camera for hitching up. Did you have tow mirrors? Good mirrors make a world of difference. If you want a rear view camera, those are pretty easy to get and use from what I understand.

Also, what kind of campgrounds did you stay at on your trip? There is a wide variation in feel and how you camp at as state park vs. nature-type rv park vs rv resort type of park. We have stayed at all 3 types and prefer the more rustic state/corps of engineer/national park type of venue. But these accommodations entail fewer amenities (such as many state parks won't have water at each site, and national parks don't even have electric at the site) but these give you the most space and best "nature" experience. These types of place make the fantastic features of the Airstream really stand out. The operable windows, the narrow profile to fit well into the site, the awning, the easy to access water fill and dump valves, and the nice posh camping experience that is AS camping. In an RV park most people run the AC all the time, have satellite dishes, big screen tvs, cook using the microwave, and stay inside a lot. Nothing wrong with that, but we just prefer the more camping type of activities.

One more thing. You as very new campers were probably reluctant to hitch and un-hitch a lot. Once that becomes easier and faster then the AS stays at the campground and you just drive off and enjoy your day. From getting ice, to sightseeing, to getting a bite to eat. Once you practice it a bit, it is between 5-10 minutes total to hitch up. (I am not counting breaking camp time; just hitching up the coupler, adding the bars and chains and break controller, raising the tongue, safety check, and done.) So that does make a difference in how easy it is to get going.

You didn't mention the tank dumping. That also gets faster and easier with practice.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 09:56 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

oz , Tennessee
Rental

Don't let towing consume your every thought and don't worry so much. I have pulled trailers for years and actually pull new sob campers to the dealers. That being said there REALLY ARE NOT to manny places you can't go pulling a camper. I have taken campers thru fast food drive throughs, one way streets with cars parked on both sides.Practically any restraurant OR GAS station If I need gas. Never seen an exit off an interstate that will get you in trouble as a matter of fact if I run out of hours pulling I have actually pulled up on an exit off the interstate and parked and slept just like the tractor and trailers do. Point being the more you pull the easier it gets as long as you don't compltely let worrying about it consume you.
wahya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 06:17 AM   #8
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
IMHO, never loose that uncertain feeling about where you're going, how you're getting there, obstacles that you might meet along the way and what is behind you (especially looking up where the camera can't see).

Being trepidicious means you're being careful, aware of your surroundings and alert. This will save you many thousands of dollars in repairs in the future and pain and suffering on the road. Embrace the feeling and use it positively for your own peace of mind.

You will grow confident and competent in towing an Airstream as the years go by, but never dismiss that nagging little voice in the back of your head (or the one in the passengers seat).

From what I've read about you so far, you are a RV person I'd feel comfortable meeting on the road. The ones that don't care and don't have a little nagging voice, scare me.

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 06:28 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Southeastern , Pennsylvania
Thank you all for the responses. To answer a few questions:

1. Our unit had a Queen size bed which is what we wanted. We found it very comfortable. We had some concern that we would not be able to sleep in a Queen (King at home) but not an issue. Perhaps having the walls so close. I don't know but we both slept well and this proved not to be an issue at all. The white noise created by the fan and A/C also helped.

2. The first campground we stayed at was Charlestown State Park. It was a full hook-up site and was a great place for our first three nights. The park had hiking trails to the Ohio River which we enjoyed. One thing we noticed immediately is that campers at campsites are friendly and speak to each other even though they are total strangers. Interesting how no one talks to each other in a hotel. It is almost like we ignore each other when in a hotel. We also noticed (and this continued throughout our trip) that we were among the "least senior" in age at the parks we stayed at. I am 57 and my DW is 53 and I just retired in January. We were told we are the target demographic for Airstream. 66% of Airstream buyers never owned a trailer before.

3. The second campground we were scheduled to stay in was Seven Points outside of Nashville. We received a telephone call when we were about an hour away that our campsite was flooded and that they had no other available sites. We then found an Army Corp site called Cedar Creek right on Old Hickory Lake. It was beautiful. Although there was some difficulty backing onto our narrow pad with deep gulleys on both sides of the pad. On the way out we "dumped" for the first time. Since we didn't use the shower we only needed to dump once. Not so difficult. Reading the Newbies Guide to Airstreams was a big help. The checklists in the book also helped.

4. On the way back to Columbus we stayed for a single night at a KOA in Lebanon, Ohio which was great for our purpose. No view but the bathrooms and campground were well taken care of.

We expected this trip to either confirm or deny whether we should by an Airstream. Already decided that no other brand will do. To my surprise we do not have a clear answer. We really are torn. On the one hand we enjoyed the beautiful surroundings that we camped in and the friendliness of our other campers along with the proximity to hiking trails and the ability to sleep "in our own" bed and to not pack and unpack each change of location. It seems that the factors that made us uncomfortable as described in my original post are overcome with experience. In any event we will wait until the 2018 models are released to see the changes. We like the International Signature series which is due for a remodel. All the Best everyone.
phil1ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 07:22 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
Depends on your definition of freedom. Airstreaming gives us more freedom to travel with our dog and eat our own food pretty much when and where we choose, anywhere from a pullout on the highway to a dirt road through a national forrest. It gives us less freedom to spontaneously check out some quaint store or restaurant we might drive by in some area with no obvious trailer parking. That kind of exploring happens after we are unhitched and have the use of our TV. In our case, the freedom we get is more important to us than the freedom we lose, and this is a very important question you have to ask yourself.

The whole reason we got a 23' trailer, rather than a smaller one that my wife would have preferred, is so I could more or less comfortably shower in my own clean environment rather than in some shared facility where I would have to carry my clean clothes in and my dirty clothes out. Interesting that having my own shower appealed more to me than my wife, although she uses the AS shower now that we have it, but that's the way it is. There are a lot of times boondocking that we go extended periods without showering in order to conserve tank capacity, but it is nice to take a shower on the last day so we present a clean and fresh appearance to civilization on our way out.

You'll lose the anxiety about finding a place to turn around, not because it isn't an important consideration, but because thinking ahead about a place to turn around will become second nature to you, and as your skill in turning around in less than perfect spots improves. Last weekend we were camped in a campground where there was a circle to turn around at the end of the street we were on. Someone parked a boat there for a long time, and my wife worried that it would still be there when we wanted to leave. So she walked down and asked them and found out they were leaving before we were. Problem solved. So it isn't a worry that ever completely goes away, but you find ways of dealing with it.
McDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 11:12 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Englewood , Colorado
It sounds like you are questioning what your future looks like. You were smarter than me by renting instead of buying, but let me tell you my learning.

I thought I wanted a trailer, and only an airstream would work. So, on a whim I bought a 2017 27fb. Hitched up, drove to an empty parking lot, and practiced for hours to learn how to back it into my driveway.

Spent weekends driving to local campgrounds, taking navy showers, learning about 12v electricity. Seemed cool. Took a 3 month Denver to Savannah for thanksgiving with 1 sister, drove to LA for xmas with 2 other sisters. Spent a week for New Years at the Grand Canyon.

In between I got stuck in a dead end parking lot and bent my bumper getting out. Broke a window. Teeny scratch from a tree limb. Freaked out trying to get gas and food.

But, found the experience to be amazing. I pull into a rest stop and eat my own food in my own house. Pull into a town, look for a place to stay for awhile and explore.

Now I am selling my house, and getting ready to travel full time.

The airstream is truly transformative. Give it a chance, it won't disappoint.
Tomhenritze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 11:12 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
I think you should watch the Long Long Trailer movie and then realize that its all about having fun; and then take the plunge with a sense of humor!
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 11:21 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Whether you "fear it" or not you are always restrained when towing as opposed to driving unhooked. You just have to adjust to it and arrange your trips so that you can unhook for a few days in areas you want to cover. Yes, we have passed many shops and restaurants and places we wanted to see because we were hooked up. But eating lunch in the trailer with the dog generally made up for that for us.

Maybe you would be more comfortable traveling in motels? Maybe in a Winnabego View? Personally I like the trailer with a pickup combo but that is just me.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 11:49 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2006 39' A-Series
Eagle River , Wisconsin
Two follow on thoughts for you:
- regarding concern over trailering and getting into tight spaces, the key is to get comfortable backing up and trusting your mirrors; I would definitely recommend practicing backing up until you are very confident since you can ALWAYS get out of any tight spot the same direction you got into it by backing up, even if it is a long way. Once you have confidence in using your mirrors, may sense is 90% of the fears and concerns you felt will disappear
- regarding back up cameras, I personally don't like them since they are somewhat counterintuitive to relying solely on your mirrors; however, my wife gave me for Christmas a really cool camera and display that is often used by horse trailer folks (Hyndsight) sold at Tractor Supply stores; haven't used it yet but I think it will be very useful for backing into tight campground spaces, especially if no one is around to help guide you

Glad you enjoyed the rental process which is a relatively new (and nice) way to test drive an Airstream.
ktgsmokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 12:16 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Clovis , California
This may raise a few eyebrows of dedicated AS owners but as a suggestion, consider first buying a clean used similar sized trailer of some other brand before making the huge financial leap into an AS. My reasoning is simple: All of your concerns really are based on your lack of experience with towing and trailer camping in general. You can gain experience with both towing and what you like and dislike in a rig by spending $7-10k on used rig. The dynamics are much the same as are the operating systems and appliances. Use it for a year or so and sell it for about what you paid for it (sometimes for more if you buy it right). Use the experience gained with that "starter" to fine tune your needs and wants when the time comes to buy your dream AS. It makes more financial sense to me than dropping $70k or so on a new AS only to discover that you don't like towing, RVing or that you bought the wrong sized rig for your needs.
blahargoue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 12:27 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
Palm Beach Gardens , Florida
We have had our 28' International CCD for about 7 years. It was 5 years old when we purchased it. We absolutely love the time we've spent traveling in her. We purchased a used Airstream partly due to financial reasons and partly because we were concerned that it might not be something we would enjoy. Now, at 72 years I'm starting to look at Class B RV's, not so much because I want to but because I believe it would be a safer way for us to travel. If we make the change I will miss our Airstream but not as much as I will miss all the wonderful people on this blog. It ties a ribbon around Air-streaming and makes the experience rich. I recommend you join the team.
John Geisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 12:37 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1973 21' Globetrotter
1975 26' Argosy 26
Vista , California
When I first started driving a 26' MH on small streets I reminded my self that school busses, bigger than me, go down The same roads every day, and they fit.
bibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 02:41 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Geisen View Post
We have had our 28' International CCD for about 7 years. It was 5 years old when we purchased it. We absolutely love the time we've spent traveling in her. We purchased a used Airstream partly due to financial reasons and partly because we were concerned that it might not be something we would enjoy. Now, at 72 years I'm starting to look at Class B RV's, not so much because I want to but because I believe it would be a safer way for us to travel. If we make the change I will miss our Airstream but not as much as I will miss all the wonderful people on this blog. It ties a ribbon around Air-streaming and makes the experience rich. I recommend you join the team.
John, I hear you. We have been Airstreaming for 8 years and just sold it after purchasing a winter home in Arizona to complement our summer lake home in Minnesota. I'll be 72 late this year. We spent 6-7 months a year in our Airstreams and loved it.

We are looking ahead 5-10 years and have similar sentiments, looking to downsize bigly (huh?) to a travel van or very small travel trailer.

I think this experience relates to this thread. We loved the Airstream for extended stays at various destinations throughout the country, but now we've moving more toward touring the country. We really dislike roadside hotels but do like venues such as the historic National Park lodges and nice B&B's, we'll work them in with our travels.

We've looking to be much more nimble than the Airstream offered, easily stop at anything interesting. Sometimes those are in the heart of big cities that have become automobile hell (visited San Francisco and Los Angeles a few months ago). We toured the country for 35 years with VW Campers, stopped any where, moments to set up and take down and be on the road. We still like the concept very much.

Pulling a large trailer is restrictive and I think roadside Rv parks are the pits. If you spend a few months a year traveling to great destinations and staying awhile, the Airstream concept is wonderful.

Our experience indicates the decision should be based on the type of travel experiences you want to have in the coming years.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 03:04 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
Memories

Hey there,
Your posts brought back so many memories for me. I bought a 2005 19' Bambi (new) in Columbus, Ohio. The dealer rep spent an hour showing me the ropes (I was so clueless and overwhelmed by the info) and then a test drive on the road for about 15 minutes. I made them show me the hitch and unhitch sequence several times and took photos as they did the steps. Only then was I confident enough to drive it back home to Fredericksburg, VA. and I think I had a big silly grin on my face all the way home. I was still working full-time so it was mostly weekend adventures for a long time and just perusing the manuals and finding where things were and writing myself "SOPs" (standard operating procedures) so I wouldn't forget 'stuff' in-between trips. Then I took a 3-week trip across country to fly fish with friends in Idaho and by the time I got home, there was nothing I didn't think I knew about my Twinky (or so I thought). Like you, I thought the AS shower was a bit useless and would use campground showers. But I was always leaving something behind after I'd walked to the shower. Also, having to sometimes pay for showers or for the hot water (like in Minnesota - are you kidding me?) was so annoying. Another thing - I am a single woman and usually travel alone and sometimes the campsite would be dark and empty and it was always with a great deal of relief that I would get back into the security of my silver cocoon. Those annoyances, concerns and some dry camping in hot weather drove me to finally start using the AS shower - what a godsend! I did get myself into a few binds and tight corners which in retrospect were all part of the adventure. Having no one to spot me, I will second all the guys on this forum who repeatedly state that loners should check where you are, back up a few feet, check again, move a few feet, repeat, repeat until you're in your spot. I am now retired and on the cusp of sizing up to a 25' twin and cannot wait to get on the road again (having sold the 1st Twink in 2015 to start my nest egg for this next one). I plan to 'crash' the annual rally at Escanaba, Michigan in late July (sans Airstream) and immerse in the camaraderie of the Airstream community - as well as learn a lot about what to look for when i pick up my new Airstream. And that's all I have to say about that!
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 10:30 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Olympia , Washington
Congratulations for trying & succeeding with your AS rental experiment.

Others have provided a lot of feedback for you, so I will mention only a couple of issues that haven't been mentioned. For reference, we bought our AS in November, 2015, began using it during the summer of 2016 & now have approx. 25K miles on it. Unlike the comments of some, we typically stop at RV parks, usually those on the Passport America list, where we pay anywhere from $15 to $25/night, & have found that experience the opposite of "the pits."

Now, as for those two novel issues:

1. Yes, we have a full-time, dedicated monitor, rear-view mirror camera, which I use mainly for assuring that I have passed the car I'm trying to pass & may now get back over into the right-hand lane. Bottom line: if I can see the front of the car or semi that I've passed in my rear-view mirror monitor, I've passed that vehicle sufficiently. Other than that, I basically use my mirrors for determining where I am relative to what's on the side of or behind me. Also, my monitor allows for several cameras, so I have a 2nd camera mounted immediately above my rear license plate bracket, which allows for easily hitching the truck to the trailer. Frankly, I have found the built-in rear view system that came with my truck almost useless.

2. You mentioned you rented a 25 w/double bed & want to use a double instead of twins, as both my sweetie & I do. In our AS-shopping experience, we spoke to a number of AS dealers who all recommended, given our preferences going one step up & looking seriously at a 27 (which we did & bought), for two reasons:

a. The north/south bed instead of the east/west bed, the former of which is a "walk around bed" the latter of which has one side up against a solid wall. Therefore, if the sleeper next to the wall wants to get up in the middle of the night, it's "crawl over one's partner" time. Furthermore, as my sweetie immediately pointed out, it's a whole lot easier to make a north/south bed than an east/west bed. (If she's happy with the trailer & its process, we usually do pretty well.)

b. Lastly, the person sleeping farther from the wall has a great chance of hitting his/her head on the overhead closet when getting up --- that's not a possibility with a north/south bed.

Good luck with continuing your experiment.
RIP "BigDog": M Harlequin Great Dane, 150 lb
"St. Rocco": M Black Great Dane, 150 lb
Rgentum is offline   Reply With Quote