Old 05-22-2017, 08:26 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Southeastern , Pennsylvania
Again, I want to thank everyone for their insights. Waiting for the 2018s to arrive to make a decision. The decision is whether to just rent an AS for perhaps 2-3 weeks per year (at about $320-350/night using our own TV with limited rental options) or to buy one. For us, we have determined that we would need to use it more than 30 camping days per year for the buying decision to make sense. We have a beach house where our summers are already spoken for (June 15-Labor Day) so the AS would be used in the spring, fall and winter.

What we are considering is the ability to store the AS and our F-150 in different locations. We live in eastern PA not far from Philadelphia in beautiful Bucks County. What we are researching is leaving (in a secure facility) the AS/TV in say Denver or Montana (or some other indoor location in those areas) for a year and then flying back and forth to camp for perhaps two-three weeks at a time. We want to explore Montana. ND, SD, Oregon, WA and CA. We could also leave the AS in say St. Augustine FL and spend time in the keys in the winter. It does not seem to make sense for us to store the AS in PA (when we won't use it in the summer) and then have to drive 2500 or more miles to get where we want to camp.

Decisions, decisions......All wonderful problems to have and we are very thankful. Just retired in January so many things to figure out. Again thank you all.

phil1ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 08:36 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil1ben View Post
It does not seem to make sense for us to store the AS in PA (when we won't use it in the summer) and then have to drive 2500 or more miles to get where we want to camp.
That's certainly one way to look at it. We're personally looking forward to exploring everything in between where we live and the destination. You know what they say - "The journey is the destination".

SeaLevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 09:49 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Eugene , OR
Thumbs-up advice ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomhenritze View Post
  1. ... Hitched up, drove to an empty parking lot, and practiced for hours to learn how to back it into my driveway.
  2. Spent weekends driving to local campgrounds, taking navy showers, learning about 12v electricity ...
  3. I pull into a rest stop and eat my own food in my own house. Pull into a town, look for a place to stay for awhile and explore.

Now I am selling my house, and getting ready to travel full time.
AND THERE YOU HAVE IT.
Perhaps the best summary advice on this thread.
Parking lot backing practice (plus cornering and just figuring out how big you are and where you can fit) is priority stuff. You will FOR SURE get used to it and develop confidence with practice. Do it. Checking out nearby campgrounds, plus 8 more points. Practicing a sink bath, plus 7.
I learned back in the '70s to tow a 16-footer and then 19-footer and then a 23-footer (with a '72 Ford LTD!) on mountain roads in the winter. You'll FOR SURE get over the corner/braking/backing timidity.
At the same time in those years, I learned to bake daily bread and cook for 5 people in a little squirty SOB trailer. AND take a thorough total bath with 3 quarts of hot water. And I was pregnant at the time.
KellyAndersson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 10:33 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil1ben View Post
Again, I want to thank everyone for their insights. Waiting for the 2018s to arrive to make a decision. The decision is whether to just rent an AS for perhaps 2-3 weeks per year (at about $320-350/night using our own TV with limited rental options) or to buy one. For us, we have determined that we would need to use it more than 30 camping days per year for the buying decision to make sense. We have a beach house where our summers are already spoken for (June 15-Labor Day) so the AS would be used in the spring, fall and winter.

What we are considering is the ability to store the AS and our F-150 in different locations. We live in eastern PA not far from Philadelphia in beautiful Bucks County. What we are researching is leaving (in a secure facility) the AS/TV in say Denver or Montana (or some other indoor location in those areas) for a year and then flying back and forth to camp for perhaps two-three weeks at a time. We want to explore Montana. ND, SD, Oregon, WA and CA. We could also leave the AS in say St. Augustine FL and spend time in the keys in the winter. It does not seem to make sense for us to store the AS in PA (when we won't use it in the summer) and then have to drive 2500 or more miles to get where we want to camp.

Decisions, decisions......All wonderful problems to have and we are very thankful. Just retired in January so many things to figure out. Again thank you all.
All good choices. First world dilemma.

Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote