Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-20-2014, 08:46 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2018 33' Classic
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 30' Flying Cloud
Grand Rabbits , Michigan
Putting out a "Do Not Disturb" Sign

This weekend, we spend quite a bit of time in a "resort" campground, and the kids had a blast. There's definitely a social net that is spread far and wide in this campground, and most everyone seems welcoming.

There were a couple of times I wanted to stop by someone's camper and knock, but wondered if they were sleeping, showering, etc and didn't want to interrupt at an inconvenient time.

My wife and I decided that we wished we had a "Do Not Disturb" sign to hang on the camper door to let others know that we were showering, sleeping, scrumpin', etc.! or even just to plain welcome them. Has anyone seen anything creative?

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 07-20-2014, 08:51 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I know at most rallies, at least in the recent past, if you are up and about, and able to have company, you open the curtains in the living area where potential visitors can see you are there.
Old 07-20-2014, 09:58 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hibby View Post
My wife and I decided that we wished we had a "Do Not Disturb" sign to hang on the camper door to let others know that we were showering, sleeping, scrumpin', etc.! or even just to plain welcome them. Has anyone seen anything creative?
We seldom use the air conditioning, so having the door open, awning out, and maybe a couple of chairs and a cooler full of beer under the awning is pretty welcoming for anybody who wants to drop by.

Scrumpin'? That's a new one on me!

For a creative "do not disturb" sign, there's always the ever popular,
"If the trailer is a rockin', please don't come a' knockin'."
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 10:45 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 25' International CCD FB
Northridge , California
I use the 2 sided room service ones I lifted from the hotel and hang them on my doors.
hehe
LilNomad
LiLNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 11:28 PM   #5

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
So one side says 'Do Not Disturb' and the other side tells the Maid it's ok to come on in?

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 04:04 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2018 33' Classic
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 30' Flying Cloud
Grand Rabbits , Michigan
Yes, a door hanger, that's what I need... But it can't blow off in the wind!

Old 07-21-2014, 06:32 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
fort lauderdale , Florida
How about a framed piece of dry erase board or small chalk board that you hang on your door. You can write your "do not disturb", etc...and a friend, neighbor that stops by can also leave a message if you are away or "scromping"
ehodg66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 06:49 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Northridge , California
Yep..but she has horrible work ethic and never shows up and I end up dumping tanks myself!! Good help so hard to find!
Old 07-21-2014, 06:56 AM   #9
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
A dry erase board is perfect, since you can tailor the message to suit the reason du jour. Napping, working on the computer, too drunk to lie down without holding on, whatever.

BUT, since hanging it on your door means that the sign will rattle with every gust of wind, pad the back of it! A foam pad covered in a scrap of quilt would be just about right. That would also let you use the dry erase board as a lap desk when you don't have it hanging on your door.
Old 07-21-2014, 06:57 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Northridge , California
I love the message board idea..good place for me to leave my breakfast requests.
LilNomad
Old 07-21-2014, 08:55 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2018 33' Classic
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 30' Flying Cloud
Grand Rabbits , Michigan
love that idea!!! Dry erase!

Old 07-21-2014, 09:45 PM   #12
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
1963 19' Globetrotter
1961 19' Globetrotter
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
I was always told if the step is up do not disturb, if the step is down welcome mat is out... but i like your idea of a two sided plaque of some sort
Instagram #Vinstream
vinstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 11:26 PM   #13
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
If the step is up while I'm camping in the trailer, it's pretty much a guaranteed face-plant when I finally come out. Camera-worthy event, to be sure.

I'll have to find some other indicator, though I like the idea of a sign that says "Yes, they still make 'em! Want a tour? Bring a good bottle of wine, and we'll call it even."
Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 03:59 AM   #14
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
"Baby Sleeping" works very well. My wife laminated it so it would last. Our baby is now 8 but we still use the sign as a do not disturb.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 04:20 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Versailles , Indiana
Silvery Moon - I have to agree with you on that. I would also face plant and then we would have a trip to the emergency room... Since we have a pair of flamingos to travel with, I was thinking of a little chaulk sign to hang on one of them. That is, if the dogs don't play with either the birds or the board.
Rhino33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 06:42 AM   #16
Rivet Master

Shouldn't a closed door say it all ?

On a few occasions, someone has banged on my door. One was someone I knew, with muddy feet, that wanted to see the new interior. I politely explained that I didn't have a vacuum cleaner.

Another was a campground staff member who banged on my door, and woke me up. That was a less than friendly exchange. The first thing I did was examine the door. I bit my tongue, thinking that he must be crazy.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 07:14 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
If my curtains are open and/or the door is open I am home and receiving guest. I take my shoes off when entering or before if dirty. I expect company to do the same and have no problem asking them to do so.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 07:52 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1960 18' Traveler
lafayette , Oregon
we have a 2 sided sign that says open on the other side it says closed.....most people understand what the sign is for.........we have a 1959 airstream comet........people are always asking if they can take a look.........
mvperini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 10:46 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Milford , Ohio
We have a door hanger sign that was a memento from a cruise ship. I can still envision standing by the rail of our private balcony, smoking a Cuban cigar, sipping an overpriced cognac from the stateroom's mini bar, as the ocean slid by in the moonlight, but I digress.

We secure it to the grab handle by the door with a twistie-tie. The sign only comes into play when we have friends or family staying in the area who might drop by unexpectedly while my sweetie and I want to spend some quality time.

Its a camper, therefore it leaks.
blickcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 11:12 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
Pardon me, but . . . .

A very interesting thread. Coming from a long line of New Englanders where Sunday afternoon drives might end up in someone's (usually a distant relative or friend) dooryard on a remote hilltop, the custom, handed down from Colonial times was to holler "Hello The House". Of course a closed up AS with the AC running would pretty much make that an exercise in futility.

Maybe it's just me but unless there was someone in that AS that I already knew, or if the thing was about to roll off into a ravine, I would never think of knocking on a closed door.

My usual line of thought is, if I see someone out and about, THEN I might stop to visit, but only after deducing that they were not in the middle of a good book, or doing something that didn't invite visitation. But maybe that's just me.
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote