Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-01-2014, 06:38 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2011 34' Classic
Sebring , Florida
Property for RV

Has anyone here bought property in the mountains, on a creek, in the woods, put a pad on it, run electric, dug a well, and septic for your AS to use as a vacation spot? We would love to do this. We would not leave our AS there, but we would take it to this property and stay for a week or so at a time.

Benefit for us.....not having to make reservations ( which can be a hassle because of my husband's job), ALWAYS having a riverside lot or mountain view etc..... Thoughts?
megandrudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 06:55 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Expensive - I plan to semi-retire in the not too distant future. Virginia Highland Haven would be a place I'd consider buying into as it meets all of those criteria - Plus I wouldn't have to maintain everything myself. Sure I'd pay my share for a new septic tank, but nice neighbors and a nice view - and lots of the time there are only 10 to 20 spots occupied so it's definitely not claustrophobic.

Paula
Old 02-01-2014, 09:33 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Pfafftown , North Carolina
Ditto to Paula's point of view. You should check out Highland Haven, the Airstream Park in Tennessee, and Penn Wood in Pennsylvania. You can have a comfortable, beautiful, secure, and peaceful place to enjoy the summers in your Airstream for a fraction of the cost of buying, improving, and maintaining your own mountain property. Plus selling your ownership, when the time comes, should be much quicker and easier than selling an isolated piece of rural property.
WBCCI 3823 - Unit 12 | AIR 48265
Florida 55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 10:38 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
Lake Charles , Louisiana
We plan to do just that. We purchased property at an airpark in the Ozarks in Arkansas several years ago and plan to make it a vacation spot. We will have a hanger built, large enough to store the AS in and leave a spare vehicle there. My wife says Arkansas is too cold during the winter and now it appears we will get the most out of it during the fall, summer and spring. The airpark is gated so I'm not worried over vandals. The location puts us within twenty minutes of Greers Ferry lake and lots of great camping areas. We will both be retired by the end of this year and plan to start getting some good use out of our trailer. It has been a long time in the works :-)
Steve & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 11:19 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Scottsdale , Arizona
Hi from AZ . . . Lot's to consider on that subject. How many nights a year, how often do you want to drive from Sebring to the mountains, security while you're away, I know making reservations can be a hassle, but having a dedicated spot/place to keep your tt can be expensive, particularly the initial expenditures (like plumbing. power, parking pad, etc.) And because of that cost it seems to tie you to one place. One of the reasons we have an Airstream instead of a mountain cabin is the ability it affords us to go new places and see new things. We love that about it. And that's my 2 cents. . . regards, Craig
Old 02-02-2014, 05:24 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
You can stay at top of Georgia AS park for 8 dollars a night with reduced monthly rates. Open all year. Usually not crowded at all. Membership in WBCCI is required but that is less than 100 dollars a year. A few nights stay pays for that plus. No reservations needed and kids welcome. Best thing is you can go there and see how you like it and the area. Just north of Helen, ga in the mountains. Easy from fl, just go up I 75 past Atlanta or take US441 all the way up if the interstate is not your speed. Between Helen and Cleveland there are a couple of places where you can buy rv lots, also leisure acres south of Cleveland has lots for sale. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 05:27 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Oops, I see you are not an AS owner so top of ga will not work but there are tons of places to stay without the expense of buying. There are also rv spots for sale in the Hiawassee area near the NC line. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 06:58 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2011 34' Classic
Sebring , Florida
Thoughts

Actually we are AS owners, and members of the WBCCI. We stayed at Top of Ga for a few days this past Christmas and loved the area. I always wanted a cabin in the mountains but we bought the AS so we could explore and not always HAVE to go to the same place all the time. But I would love to have a place that we could go to whenever we wanted and not have to worry about planning too far in advance. We would not leave our AS there because we would still use it for weekend trips around Florida. I really don't want to buy in a RV park, because sometimes we just want to get away from the crowds. There is a spot just south of Top of Ga that has a lone AS parked on the creek/river. It just looked so peaceful! That's what we would love to have.
megandrudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 07:23 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Overland Park , Kansas
We did just that in two places - near the Lake of the Ozarks and Lake Ouachita both with electricity, good well water, and septic. The only downfall is the amount of work you will be doing on vacation. The good part is that each place took on a life of its own with their own activities and lifestyles. We slowly built a cabin at the more secure and closer LOZ land and lease out hunting rights in AR in exchange for what has worked out pretty well with them building a nice deer camp structure on the existing RV pad and clearing areas for other campers for their families. Before we leased the AR land, druggy vandals made it impossible to leave anything there at all. Now it's a place we can visit and enjoy without spending the first day or so brush hogging camp and trails to the creek. I've seriously considered doing this again in NM just to buy some more beautiful land but I just don't know how to find the time until I retire.

Good luck, I doubt you will regret doing it that way unless you really do want to just see and visit new places near and far. I seem to prefer the Wilderness I know if that makes any sense.
Grrrwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 07:39 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Friends of our did just that, bought two acres by a river in rural Ontario. It actually came with a SOB trailer already installed.

I did run the numbers and while we liked the idea initially, in the end we decided against it. For the cost of buying land we can go out and camp for quite a couple of years.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 01:02 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
Not exactly the same thing, but similar....we used to own a ski condo in the Sierras. Loved going there, however, we always felt obligated to go there since it was paid for, as opposed to going to other ski resorts.

Made us realize that we do not want a "vacation house." It's too limiting. But, some people love going to the same place year after year. Guess it depends what you like!
weirdstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 07:03 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2018 33' Classic
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 30' Flying Cloud
Grand Rabbits , Michigan
I think we should all buy one piece of property, 2 acres or so, and offer it to other 'Streamers as a camping site. Sort of an extension to our "Courtesy Parking" thread.
No charge if you have a property to offer others, and perhaps a small fee if you don't have a property to share...
Old 02-10-2014, 07:11 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 26
1973 Argosy 26
Fairmont , West Virginia
I have often thought of doing this very thing and not doing anything that would make my AS a permanent fixture so I could travel at will. If you take this on as a project please post updates.
shermantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 04:11 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2018 33' Classic
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 30' Flying Cloud
Grand Rabbits , Michigan
How about this one?
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1395569482.747346.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	708.0 KB
ID:	208074
Old 03-23-2014, 06:39 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
Vintage Kin Owner
Bad Axe , Michigan
We own another property about 30 miles from us. No electric or water, but it is 80 acres with a 23 acre pond. It also has a large shed where we store the AS in the winter. We camp there as often as we can in the summer. The dogs love it and there good fishing if you like to fish. The only down side is the property tax.
1977 31' International Sovereign - sold
2012 Ford F250 Superduty Crewcab

WBCCI# 1007 Air#2158
dkrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 06:40 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hibby View Post
I think we should all buy one piece of property, 2 acres or so, and offer it to other 'Streamers as a camping site. Sort of an extension to our "Courtesy Parking" thread.
No charge if you have a property to offer others, and perhaps a small fee if you don't have a property to share...
Sort of like this idea.
https://www.boondockerswelcome.com/
1950 Spartan
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 08:32 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2018 33' Classic
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 30' Flying Cloud
Grand Rabbits , Michigan
Exactly!
Old 03-23-2014, 10:10 AM   #18
Huh?

1975 27' Overlander
Twin Cities , Minnesota
I went about it the opposite way.
I bought the land and needed someplace to stay when I went up there.
I had an old slide in pickup camper for a few years and then was able to upgrade to my AS.
I would likely go crazy if I couldn't get away from the city here on occasion. But even when I can't get away I stay sane knowing I have a place to go when the time comes.
Ultradog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 09:47 PM   #19
Looking for our next proj

Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
We plan to do this on some flood plane property near us. It can have a pad and electric but no buildings.

As for where to look, check out Mentone, Al. Beautiful country, good land prices and great views. We almost bought property there before we moved West.
laragc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 04:56 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Don't Forget Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.

Located in the deep east Texas piney woods.
Only 2 hours from Houston - arguably the best medical center in the US.

A great winter retreat - a bit hot in the summer.

This shot is taken from the point - the entire park is on a peninsula on Lake Sam Rayburn - one of the best bass lakes in the country.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote