Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-24-2014, 06:12 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
I have 10.5 acres with my Airstream sitting in a barn. I just got back yesterday from there. We plan on building an apartment in the barn and living in the airstream while we build. My airstream looks out from two barn doors at a 1 acre pond. I was getting all the details for septic, electric and water last weekend. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$, but you got to do what you got to do.

Brian
Old 03-24-2014, 07:05 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Lake Placid , Florida
It would be great if there were "time shares" for RVers where you could purchase however many weeks a year and however many locations you wanted.
Old 03-24-2014, 10:23 AM   #23
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remax gal View Post
It would be great if there were "time shares" for RVers where you could purchase however many weeks a year and however many locations you wanted.
.... I call that...."campgrounds" .....
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 06:41 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Lake Placid , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw photos View Post
.... I call that...."campgrounds" .....

Ok, ok...I guess I was having a senior moment!! LOL!!
Old 03-24-2014, 08:15 PM   #25
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Many alternatives to consider on the spectrum from

- campground day rates
- campground weekly/monthly rates
- campground seasonal sites
- coop type seasonal sites that you buy into including...
- the many Airstream-only coop campgrounds focused on seasonal usage
- various seasonal and coop campgrounds where the lack of a suitable road network means that the trailer must be more or less permanently parked
- the owned freestanding location with its own building(s) that is suitable for boondocking
- the owned freestanding location with only a parking pad

Owned freestanding locations (not part of a campground or RV coop) are costly and maintenance intensive and pose various zoning problems in many jurisdictions. The cost of adding a driveway, pad, electric, water, and sewer to unimproved property is considerable. There are a growing number of legal regulatory and zoning barriers to the practice of the 1950s 1960s and 1970s of creative low-cost water, wastewater, and power systems, making these less attractive than they once were.

If your main goal is consistency of experience and guaranteed site availability there are many campgrounds that offer seasonal sites that are far less expensive than developing an unimproved site.

If your goal is seclusion and independence and cost is not a concern then full speed ahead... get to know your local backhoe contractor, well driller, and real estate attorney... You may find that in many cases it's more practical to repurpose a lot with a modest cabin, which may be torn down or left standing as your tastes and the local regulatory climate dictate
Old 03-25-2014, 03:47 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2018 33' Classic
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 30' Flying Cloud
Grand Rabbits , Michigan
Interesting thoughts, Jammer. Helpful, and realistic.... I wonder if there are other resources we haven't thought of that could be useful, especially when boondocking. Michigan has a land trust conservancy, and although camping is not usually permitted on these properties, many of them have a parking spot for use when exploring, and I would bet that the monitoring organization would permit an overnight stay if permission was requested.

My hopes are more for boondocking than seasonal or long-term stay.
Old 03-25-2014, 04:36 PM   #27
Jack Dog in So Cal

2013 16' Sport
Orange , California
AS Property

megandrudy,

We have vacation property in the Eastern Sierra near the town of Lone Pine. We are getting ready to put an rv pad and rv carport, access road and utilities so we can park our AS on it to use on long week ends.

It's a four hour drive from So Cal where we live and long term we will be building a home for retirement in about ten years.

We have retired neighbors who will keep an eye on the tin can so we can leave it there between trips.

I would suggest you check the local building codes. In Inyo Co. we had to sign documents showing that it would be used only for vacation use and not full time use.

Jack Dog in
So Cal
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lone Pine Chritmas 2012 064.jpg
Views:	395
Size:	343.9 KB
ID:	208282   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lone Pine Chritmas 2012 067.jpg
Views:	381
Size:	310.0 KB
ID:	208283  

JackDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 05:47 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

Hilton head island , South Carolina
Where I grew up river lots ate common. That is basically river front land in the flood plain that floods in the winter and is great in the spring/summer. They are around 10 to 25k usually and almost everyone brings a rv down for the summer. I wish we had those here in the coastal areas. It would prob work in some of the marsh areas that couldn't support a home. Would love to have a weekend river lot within a hours drive or two. Maybe if I ever move back...
coastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 07:43 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

2011 34' Classic
Sebring , Florida
I don't know what we are going to do, but it seems like it is getting harder and harder to get a campsite at the spur of the moment here in Florida......even in the summer!
megandrudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 06:07 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Lake Placid , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by megandrudy View Post
I don't know what we are going to do, but it seems like it is getting harder and harder to get a campsite at the spur of the moment here in Florida......even in the summer!

You are absolutely right about this!
Old 04-09-2014, 01:53 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
We had some friends that had a large acreage in the mountains and made a deal with them. We paid for the 30 amp service, concrete pad and sewer hookup. We used it whenever we wanted and after 6 years it's still one of our favorite spots. Come and go when we want and when we aren't there, they have some of their relatives and other friends stay there in their RV's.
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 04:04 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Moderate Hijack

If you're looking for an Airstream to PARK, here's a possibility:

I noticed the other day that Colonial Airstream had a salvage title 30 ft Serenity 2013 on e-bay.

I was very pleased to note that they recommended it be used only on a permanent site because of the damage. Some of the ribs were bent. I'd GUESS that panel replacement would run about 16K. One whole side got sideswiped by a tree. That one COULD be patched but replacement might run $10K. It MIGHT be left alone if it doesn't leak, but it looks sad.

What really impressed me was that they priced it reasonably and would NOT sell it as good for road use. It's refreshing after seeing so many advertised with total lies about what it would cost to repair, and never even suggesting that it would never really be safe on the road because of frame and body issues.