2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Quote:
Originally Posted by John&Vicki View Post
What does a 10' aluminum boat weigh?

Thanks,
John
John,

Our 12' Lowe weighs about 110lbs, but it gets heavier as the years pass.

My DW and I can still top it.... but we are looking for a good LIFT.

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 07:12 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
Why stop at a Port-a-Bote? If I hadn't watched these videos I wouldn't have believed it. The second one is better, especially the last few seconds.

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

richw46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 07:15 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
John,
Our 12' Lowe weighs about 110lbs, but it gets heavier as the years pass.
My DW and I can still top it.... but we are looking for a good LIFT.

Bob
How about this one? Good enough?

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

Old 05-21-2016, 09:44 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
I also have a Jackson Big Tuna. It is plenty big enough for my wife and dog, although cozy. It loads on top of my F-250. Easy enough for two people to do, but a challenge for me alone, so I use a winch. The dog isn't much help. Neither is the wife. In their ads, they show videos of a person standing up in one fishing. Don't believe them! It's like the carnies who have been trained to knock down the bottles and make it look easy to win a prize. Not being an experienced kayaker, it is all I can do to keep it upright while sitting down. Anyway, it's a fun thing to have and gives you a little edge at lakes that are accessible by roads and therefore pretty hard to fish from the shore.
Old 05-21-2016, 10:40 PM   #19
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
I have looked at a number of small boats with the purpose of having a dinghy for tending a larger boat. The owner of Porta Boat spins a good sales pitch. Be aware that newer models have improvements in the design. All are reported servicable, but newer ones are supposed to be esier to setup and more rugged.

The Portland Pudgy is small, but quite serviceable. Rotomolded plastic construction is quite rugged. It is marketed as a life boat and can be configured with lots of options. May be a bit small for fishing, but worth considering. http://www.portlandpudgy.com/

The aluminum boats certainly offer an alternative. Renting them can be an easier approach than transporting one. Certainly can have your own engine which is the majority of the cost to rent. They make propane engines now too. See the LEHR brand. But an aluminum boat is certainly the default for fishing duty.

There is a style of boat that can be built at home with minimal tools. It is called a skin on frame boat. The designs vary from Kayak to pulling boat. My preference turned to a Whitehall style. Google Shenandoah skin on frame boat. They are quite light and much more rugged than they look.
Old 05-21-2016, 11:53 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by McDave View Post
I also have a Jackson Big Tuna. It is plenty big enough for my wife and dog, although cozy. It loads on top of my F-250. Easy enough for two people to do, but a challenge for me alone, so I use a winch. The dog isn't much help. Neither is the wife. In their ads, they show videos of a person standing up in one fishing. Don't believe them! It's like the carnies who have been trained to knock down the bottles and make it look easy to win a prize. Not being an experienced kayaker, it is all I can do to keep it upright while sitting down. Anyway, it's a fun thing to have and gives you a little edge at lakes that are accessible by roads and therefore pretty hard to fish from the shore.
I tried to stand up when I first launched it. I decided I'd wait until I got it into warmer water that didn't include gators. Once you're sitting down it's pretty stable. It needs a anchor or drag chain. It will move very easily in the wind or with the current.

I'm 69 and 5'7". I'm able to load and unload it by myself. I put a length of carpet across the rear of the TV, then I position the kayak behind it, kayak nose it to the right or left side of the TV. I lift the nose and place it on the carpet, then I lift the kayak by the rear straps and push forward as far as I can go before letting it drop in the Malone saddles. I need a short step ladder behind the TV to help me with the last couple of feet.

It took several times loading and unloading to learn how to manage the weight, but now it's just a few minutes to load or unload, not counting the tie down straps.

It is fun in the creeks and rivers but I go on the lake only on calm days. I don't want the wind to push me to the other side of the lake.

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

Old 05-22-2016, 07:51 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Inflatable with 9.5 hp
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1463921437565.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	262966  

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 09:18 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

houston , Texas
I have a buddy who has a porta boat and he takes it with him on long trips, he seems to really like it.

For, us - we have two trucks and quite commonly tow both the bass boat and the trailer in the same trip. We'll do this up to 12 hours from our house.
Old 05-28-2016, 11:44 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Inflatable with 9.5 hp
How long and what brand. Do you carry it inflated?
Old 06-03-2016, 07:12 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
laguna beach , California
I have a Hobbie fishing kayak and a float tube, lots of options out there...

Ford F-350 crew cab 4X4 diesel, 25' Jack Bauer edition AS